It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 38 years I seemed to have conquered my fear of spiders!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
So anyone who knows me knows i usually run screaming in fear when a spider crosses my path. I tend to cry and scream and hide in a corner, no joke I have witnesses! Well my son who is 4 now seems to have a special love for these eight legged beings. He started getting upset at me and would cry when I killed one. He would tell me I was killing his best friends. We have smaller ones in our garden which I wasn't too fond of but living in an oak canopy I can't escape these eight legged critters! We have the pretty crab spiders that literally have the shell backing like a crab, they're kind of cute and make pretty webs. Next we have this tiny one with bright neon green markings on its back. It makes messy webs with no design and it loves to make them from my car to the pole on my porch so of course i walk into them often! My son loves to feed these guys by finding dead bugs and putting them in their webs. This is the same kid who made pbj sandwiches for ants and put it outside. He seriously loves all animals but especially the creepy crawly kind! He started asking for scorpions and I have no idea where he got that from! I personally love reptiles and scorpions myself but I never mentioned owning a scorpion. He likes that they have pinches and sting! To him they are cool yet to most they strike fear much like spiders did for me!

Well back in May I was with him at his dads house and a glass of wine was involved. I opened the cabinet under the sink and there it was a HUGE Wolf Spider sitting in the box with the cat food. Instead of freaking out I grabbed a piece of tupperware and caught it! Yea I couldnt' believe it. My ex and his mother were looking at me like "who are you" because they KNOW how i use to react to spiders. SO i get this sucker in a piece of tupperware but next i have to transfer it to my son's bug habitat. Oh that wasn't easy! I went outside with it incase it got away, well it did but I CHASED it on my hands and knees and scooped it up into the bug habitat, talk about liquid courage and my son rooting me on saying "mommy you're like Supergirl." I mean how could I NOT catch the spider after that! So needless to say I caught the spider who my son named Wolfy. I remember driving home with him on my dash and thinking, wow I caught a spider I must be crazy!

Wolfy now has a nice cage and is literally spoiled by my son. He talks to him and hugs the cage. The first few days we had him at home he wanted to carry him all over the house. I actually SLEPT with this thing in between us one afternoon for nap time. I rolled over and was like wow this is my life! LOL not to bad actually, it makes my son happy and he thinks I"m Supergirl now for catching a spider for him! Wolfy lives in a spider condo and wants for nothing. He has an endless supply of crickets and mealworms both of whom have their own habitats as well!

Lately we have been talking about spiders and he has been watching spider videos. The lady at the pet store gave me an exoskeleton for him to hold to get use to holding a spider. Well it took me 5 mins to hold that thing but in some crazy way it helped me even! So today we went to the big petstore where you can hold the spiders and let me tell you I was surprised at my own actions! My son he sat right down and put his hands out. It was funny because he did jump back and yell when it started moving lol. The guy said for his age he did great because most kids at 4 dont go near spiders there! So it was my turn and I put my hand out and sucked in all my pride and fear and well here ya go!

My son

SO YOU CAN overcome your fears! I credit my son and his love of spiders for me overcoming mine. I couldn't be afraid of them because then he would start to fear them. He wants a tarantula and well I too have to be ok with handling it. I can't get a pet like that and not handle it. It wouldn't be fair to the spider!

Wolfy now has a cool cage with all kinds of decor in it. Today my son put a yellow submarine meant for a fish tank in it. It's what he chose at the pet store! I think if he gets a tarantula any time in the near future we will have to make it a trade off by letting Wolfy go back into the wild. I don't fear is family and friends now when I see them in my house. I honestly just let them be! I use to kill them, now I smile and close the door or move along.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Nope!

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Nope!

HAHA! Everyone I know is like WHO ARE YOU?! They are convinced I was replaced by aliens lol

I seriously use to have some trauma responses to spiders but since I moved into the place I am in now it's changed. We have them all over and many kinds due to the trees and surrounding bush. The wolf spiders get HUGE! Wolfy has almost doubled in size since we got him but he's fed well lol When he crawls around his cage it does give me chills because his leg span is huge and he's fast.

This tarantula was very chill and it felt so weird. It was like prickers sticking to you when it crawled. The guy said it's a very friendly chill species. My son wanted to bring it home today but I was sooo not ready for that!

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Sorry, TS : DR.

(Too Spidery : Didn't Read)

edit on 30-7-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Sorcery!!!!

Sorcery!!!!!!

I'm reporting you to the inquisition!

Just as soon as I come out from under the bedclothes....is it gone yet???

Àaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!
edit on 30-7-2017 by Tulpa because: Needed more screaming

link   
I'm glad to hear you have overcome your fear. Your son is adorable. I was so very uncomfortable seeing those pictures. I have tried to get over my spider fear, but it lingers. Several years ago my husband downloaded an app that would at random times pop up a spider or run one across the screen. It's claim was it would help me become desensitized. I can't tell you how stupid this was. I spilled too many drinks to count, feel out of chairs, and screamed often. Eventually I would just avoid using the pc or tablet.
I realize my fear is mostly illogical, but I can't stop. I have three kids, none have been big bug fans. Probably because I'm such a chicken when I see one. I have to pay my oldest $1 for removing spiders....and it would be worth it at ten times that price. It's mostly quarter size spiders I see, but on occasion there will be one we have deemed the "bagel spiders". They are literally the size of a bagel. I would rather someone take a hammer to my feet than deal with one of those beasts.

link   
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

HELL NOPE

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Abducted by ATSliens with Darth Vader sheets during a harmless vacation. Streets simply aint save anymore.

#FreeWolfy

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

All of them? Even that big hairy one right behind you right now?

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

spiders dont bother me that much except this one time. Giant spider maybe 5-6 inches leg span? it was in the badement and as we tried to catch it (hippie parents killing is bad) mother effer jumped at us..

it didnt stop there as soon as it landed it was back in the air bounce bounce bounce biunce and its across a 10 by 10 room. and as soon as it did it turned around bounce bounce bounce bounce 1 foot in the air each time..

it was like a monster movie i hit it with a golf club mid air... whack and thud against the wall.. he was heavy so it was surprising lime how hard he hit...

bounce bounce bounce...

Im done..

normal spiders though? meh go kill the other bugs for me I dont mind you hanging around.

and the small jumpy ones ive let them bounce around my arms since i was little. used to catch those all the time.

for me its heights.. Spiders nit so much. like for instance how many times have i knowingly been bit by a spider? zero. how many times have i been stung by yellow jackets? hundreds at once one time.. now THAT is scary and very painful.

your son's teaching you to be more open to the world. that's kind of magical.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
And that is the power of children on their parents.

I am glad for both of you that you conquered your fear in order to indulge his childish curiosity. It's a tremendous learning opportunity for him.

There are some spider keeping channels on YouTube you might check out. He might find them fascinating even if you are a bit squicked out by them.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I used to hold my pet tarantula, but one time when it got upset it unfolded its poisoned inch-long fangs and was about to bit into me... when I flung it across the room.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I am too old to be a changing my ways now....
Spiders are sneaky , creepy little devils.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
My favorite spider is the jumping spider! They are very curious little guys that actually check YOU out while your checking them out! LOL.

NEVER been scared of bugs of any kind, just cautious of the poisonous and stinging types.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I hate spiders. Can deal with smaller ones, but a spider of that size would freak me out. One time I did a job cleaning out a wooded lot, and when I walked out to the truck, I saw tons of giant brown recluse crossing the street to get to the other side and go back into the woods.

I see spiders a lot, I try and respect them, but I wouldn't be caught dead holding one. I got the heebyjeebies just looking at that one.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Apparently they taste a little like a crab with less salt in the flesh when cooked.

Shorter one

They still scare the heck out of me but only when I don't see them coming, great fun as a kid though putting them into a match box and then showing the girls' who would usually scream.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
No way!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
As a kid I was much like your son. I used to keep spiders that I later found out are potentially deadly but being oblivious to that fact as an 8yo, I used to let those creepy little bastards crawl all over my skin. Now they just make my skin crawl!

I still won't kill a spider but I assume it's no longer due to the affinity I used to share with them as opposed to noping the f*ck out whenever I'm within a 10 foot radius of one.

I remember the night it all changed for me. I was asleep on the couch and woke up for no apparent reason and with my head propped up on the arm rest, I looked down at my feet and saw this bloody huge huntsman run down the other arm rest past my toes and then zip parallel to my legs, then arms, then veer past my shoulders toward my gaping mouth. I literally levitated off that couch and grabbed the broom that was conveniently leaning against the wall next to me and teed off, with a clean hit.
Minus 2 legs on one side and 1 on the other, it bolted toward me at which point I decided being such a lovely wet and stormy night out, I would go and enjoy the rain for the next hour until twilight.
Any living thing that can still run without a limp, minus 3 legs is..

PURE

F*CKING

EVIL!!!

Yep, good times!

Some advice... If you want to keep your arachnophobia at bay, steer clear of Australia.
edit on 30/7/2017 by TOMFROMOZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The female wolf spiders get big like that, the males are smaller. I like spiders, but I had to kill a big wolf spider, the wife would have made me kill all the spiders around the house if she saw it. It's body was about two and a half inches long and an inch wide and it had big legs. I felt bad killing that female.

I would rather move them outside. There are hundreds of daddy long legs spiders, actually harvesters, on the doors and walls of the shed and garage. I feel bad, they get pinched in the door when I close it.

We do have a few brown recluse spiders here, but they are rare, there are many many other types outside. They sure help keep the bugs down. Lots of birds and frogs and dragonflies around too.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Spiders are my spirit animal guide; perhaps the same for your son.

I fuggin' HATE spiders.

I (mostly) got over my fear of them though.

edit on 30-7-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join