It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate GOP Effort to Repeal Obamacare Fails - 'Skinny Repeal'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I admit, I had CSPAN on tonight to watch the voting happen in real time. It looks like three GOP senators voted "NO":

WASHINGTON — Obamacare stays. For now.

Senate Republicans failed to pass their pared-down Obamacare repeal bill on vote of 49-51 in a dramatic late night vote that caps a months-long process of trying to fulfill a seven-year promise to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Three Republican senators, Susan Collins, John McCain and Lisa Murkowski, and all Democrats voted in opposition to the bill, dealing a stinging defeat to President Donald Trump, who made repeal of Obamacare a key promise of his 2016 campaign.

There was some hand-wringing as both Murkowski and McCain both voted "no" as well on a motion just before this vote to push the entire thing back into committee. People speculated that how they voted to send the "skinny repeal" back to committee might shed light on how they'd vote on the actual repeal.

Nope. Apparently not.

A lot of pressure was put on McCain:

Republican leaders, including Vice President Mike Pence pressed McCain on his vote for nearly an hour in the chamber while Senators waited in tense anticipation. McCain's eventual no vote was met by cheers among Democratic Senators.

And in the end, a group of senators voted in the middle of the night to take away healthcare from millions of Americans ... only hours after revealing what they intended to pass...

The failed vote happened just hours after the text of the latest version was released, but it wasn't enough to gather the support necessary.

Link
edit on 28-7-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

And in the end, a group of senators voted in the middle of the night to take away healthcare from millions of Americans ..

False.

No one is taking nor denying healthcare. This is insurance. Until this point is acknowledged the whole thing remains a bunch of bullsnip.

R nor D has the balls to buck the industries (Pharma/Insurance) to actually address the realities of the people they claim to represent.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
They claim Obamacare will end up imploding if nothing is done. Why not just let it happen, stonewall/veto any bill that helps keep it alive. That way it forces both sides to finally work together.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I just edited the title to add "skinny repeal" as it was nicknamed. There might be a lot of people on here that think this is an old thing or something...seeing as how many times the Republicans/GOP have brought this up.

This is just the latest round of repeal attempts. And, as I said, nicknamed the "skinny repeal".

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think that John McCain just waved his middle finger in the general direction of Mitch McConnell and the Trumpster. Excellent news, further proof that the Republicans couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery right now.
Seriously, they've had close to a decade to try and work out a replacement to the ACA. And what did they come up with in terms of a workable plan that they could vote through? Crickets.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well, without insurance a lot of people can't get healthcare.

Oh, sure, they can go to a emergency room...But can you get a liver transplant at the ER? Can you get chemo therapy at the ER?

And if you can't afford those things, I guess you just ... die?

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Keep guessing.

Could you point out examples where doctors have denied life saving care because of no insurance?

The reality is that you will likely fall into debt. With insurance, once you're capped, you'll go into debt as well.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

So you can just show up week after week for ongoing treatment for chronic, life-threatening conditions? Emergency rooms are setup for that?

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Good god, the hyperbole.

Not having insurance does not mean not having access to healthcare, especially when your life is at stake.

www.caring.com...

Remaining oblivious to the facts of the matter is exactly how so many were duped by the ACA.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

WASHINGTON — Obamacare stays. For now.

Senate Republicans failed to pass their pared-down Obamacare repeal bill on vote of 49-51 in a dramatic late night vote that caps a months-long process of trying to fulfill a seven-year promise to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Three Republican senators, Susan Collins, John McCain and Lisa Murkowski, and all Democrats voted in opposition to the bill, dealing a stinging defeat to President Donald Trump, who made repeal of Obamacare a key promise of his 2016 campaign.

Cowards, all 3. Once again John McCain waves his RINO flag and while I certainly didn't vote for Murkowski, I find it utterly shameful that she is from my state. I really, really wish Joe Miller was holding that seat. The vote would have been very different and a lot more in line with the expectations of Conservatives Murkowski falsely claims to represent.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Not having insurance does not mean not having access to healthcare, especially when your life is at stake.

Not having insurance means the insurance companies aren't making their wealth off of you, and the lobbyists aren't going to spend as much money on politicians in DC because those politicians won't have as much control over the American people's money.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

It was stupid any way I couldn't believe what I was hearing. They said they wouldn't vote for it unless they knew it couldn't pass. They were voting for a bill that they didn't want to pass?? It's like saying I want to take the drivers test but don't want a license.

And we put these people in office seriously??

edit on 7/28/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: JinMI

Not having insurance means the insurance companies aren't making their wealth off of you, and the lobbyists aren't going to spend as much money on politicians in DC because those politicians won't have as much control over the American people's money.

The insurance companies made more money after Obamacare was passed than before it! Yet those who support this are against the evil 1% roflmao

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Meanwhile the "evil" 1% laugh their asses off while the middle class picks up the bar tab for half the nation.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I was wondering if your grizzly mug was going to pop in here over Murkowski.

Exactly, this is a business deal that politicians on both sides repeatedly keep try to sell the people. When it didn't work, it was forced and now remains.

Looking at the simple concessions, I am awestruck that this "skinny" bill didn't pass. Turning the flame up a little higher and bubbles are starting to form around the pot.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Meanwhile the "evil" 1% laugh their asses off while the middle class picks up the bar tab for half the nation.

That's about it! That transformation of wealth isn't what most people believe it to be!

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   
it's kind of amazing... even with the presidency and control of the house and the senate, republicans still can't manage to accomplish what they've been whining about wanting to for forever now. too much time obstructing and naysaying and not enough practice actually having to produce anything, i guess.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
McCain you are one piece oi work - who paid for your surgery? We did the American Tax payer. Why are you even being aloud to vote one week after fricken BRAIN cancer...I am so pissed at the ineptitude of these empty suits on both sides of the isle. What is going on with this country???

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

Wasn't there a voting THIS WEEK where his vote was so absolutely needed that he came jumping from the OP's table to do his job?

Yeah, I guessed so. If he is not doing YOUR bidding, he is a coward and no longer allowed to vote.

This kind of threads is getting funnier and funnier!
"GO REPUBLICAN SENATORS, GO!"
"Ah, how about NO!"

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   

I think it is far worse than this. I think most of the money doesn't even go to the other half of the nation. I "suspect" we are paying somebody's bad debts/bets off or worse. It's a money grab. A very evil money grab while confusing people as much as possible and keeping them divided.

It's all the rage to have one half of any nation fighting the other half these days. A house divided is very profitable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join