It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain goes bonkers again. Says senators are equal to the president.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: ketsuko

The only people who think he "forgot to tally in the rest of his Congressional colleagues in both chambers" are the ones who are trying to cherry pick one line and twist it into something it isn't in an effort to attack the messenger.

McCain said the quoted text during a speech on the Senate floor, to the entire Senate. He said "we" rather than "I." I think it's abundantly clear to anybody with a shred of intellectual integrity what he meant.

I wish I could be less of a cynic when it comes to politicians these days.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: allsee4eye

His speech to Congress yesterday was astounding. Brilliant. He spoke only the truth, in a time we need it most, and during a time he felt the time to speak it is NOW. The content of the OP, predictably, lacks comprehension of what was said, and meant by his content.

The man has brain cancer and maybe mentally compromised.

Oh please. That's pathetic. AS IF anyone is unaware of his circumstances. Did you even listen to his speech yesterday? I don't see how any reasonably intelligent person could take issue with anything he said. He said things that have needed to be said for quite some time.
I suggest you listen to it attentively and take it's meaning as it was intended, instead of blaming "brain cancer" for his saying things you might not like. I certainly would hope you are not going by the OP, as to what was said.
edit on 7/26/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

i have no means to interpret the ramblings of an old man, who recently had brain surgury, who is probably on mind altering drugs

or do you want to have a civics discussion about separation of powers and checks and balances?

i do not think jm has the mental capacity to put that kind of cognitive thought together at this point in his life

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You said

I am sure that McCain just forgot to tally in the rest of his Congressional colleagues in both Chambers.

There is literally zero reason to think that if one looks at what actually happened, other than drinking from the same kool-aid cup the OP is.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

And yet somehow he managed to say the words, eh?

You should direct your ideas about the separation of powers and checks and balances to the OP. I'm not the one that's confused about it.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

“We are not the president’s subordinates. We are his equals,” he said to a smattering of applause in the chamber.

I get what he's saying, separate branches of idiots and all.
But one could argue otherwise.
McCain's boss is the President of the Senate, who is Vice President Pence.
Not much argument that the VP's boss is President Trump.
Therefore, McCain's boss's boss is Trump.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

you are the one interpreting his rant

i had civics in middle school
while the senate is equal with the executive, jm is equal to a stool

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

No argument from me.

In writing the rules, the Founders were, in my opinion, rather naive in that they didn't foresee professional politicians who's only career would involve sitting in the Senatorial or Representative Offices.

...and there's little chance of changing that anytime soon. Any attempt at establishing term limits would go by the board rapidly. As proven several years ago when Washington State voted in term limits on its Congressional members, it was challenged in court by one of those, a newly elected one, members and the will of the voters was tossed by the court.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
May be people should form their own opinions about what he said. The only thing I was disappointed in, was the way he voted after speaking these much needed words.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

you are the one interpreting his rant

Correct, sorta. I'm the one talking about what he said in a speech yesterday while you're off trying to talk about something else entirely. Just because I stick to what he said rather than what you want to talk about doesn't mean I'm interpreting anything.

i had civics in middle school

Did your school require reading of any sort? That would be helpful in this instance, since we're discussing a transcript of a speech.

jm is equal to a stool

Your personal opinion of McCain is, was, and always will be, irrelevant to the speech that the OP selectively quoted. Just as my own personal feelings about him are irrelevant here. And, to be frank, I really don't give a flying # what you think of him so continuing to repeat yourself isn't getting you anywhere.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Flatfish

hahaha

my position is jm is a pos who stole from working people and got away with it
as a pos his words are worthless

its not : Ad Hominem when it is true

no comment on bomb bomb bomb iran voting on legislation while on painkillers?
or you ok with that as well?

the usa will be MUCH better off when that pos is six feet under

I'm gonna go off topic just a bit but....

What about David Marshall Williams? AKA Carbine Williams, being the shooter you are, surely you're familiar with his story.

He stole from the working people, hell he was even convicted for killing one of them, yet he still had some very worthwhile contributions to make. Some while sitting in prison.

Regarding Congressmen under the influence of painkillers, I would just imagine most damn near every republican in D.C. is currently having to take them, just to numb the painful reality of how wide the divide is in their own party.

And just for the record, the Senators from my state may as well be looped out on painkillers for all the good their doing.

edit on 26-7-2017 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Bill Gates earns more in an hour than the President makes in a year.

Hmmm.

President Trump is donating his Presidential Salary, That's a lot more than you can say for other Presidents. Go Trump.
edit on 26-7-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

you interpret the incoherant ramblings however you like
his words are meaningless imo

the op asked about "equality"
i submit jm is equal to a stool

funny you choose to defend him
was it his vote to get the world to invade the ME after 911 that you like so much?
or did this so called speech move you to take up his banner?

as to your opinion of my opinion
it also is meaningless imo

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

my username has nothing to do with firearms
i looked up your David Marshall Williams
i guess i missed your point
David Marshall Williams looks to have tried to make up for his actions
jm imo has not

i also think its funny those who defend jm ignore that he must be on drugs from his surgery, and they serm to be ok with this

as if the actual job of senator is so easy one could perform it effectively high

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

my username has nothing to do with firearms
i looked up your David Marshall Williams
i guess i missed your point
David Marshall Williams looks to have tried to make up for his actions
jm imo has not

i also think its funny those who defend jm ignore that he must be on drugs from his surgery, and they serm to be ok with this

as if the actual job of senator is so easy one could perform it effectively high

In other words, you believe a person would have to be on drugs to advocate that the two parties in
Congress make an effort to work together in an effort to accomplish laws and policies that are best for American citizens?

Because if you listened to his speech yesterday, it was exactly about that, and you seem to have a problem with that.
You freely admit then, that you are a part of the divisiveness that is ripping our country and Congress apart?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

i would love to hear that speech from someone serving that has credibility
imo jm has none
what has jm voted for that you support?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll

i would love to hear that speech from someone serving that has credibility
imo jm has none
what has jm voted for that you support?

What? I hope to God his constituency and other members of Congress have more respect for a man who has spent his entire life in service to this country, in one way or another, than you do. What I do or do not support about his previous voting concerns have nothing to do with the topic herein. I typically support what is said and done from the other side of the aisle, so you will know.

However, it's not pertinent to this thread. I do not discount what he said yesterday, because of how he might have voted in the past. I think McCain is aware he might not have much time left to address Congress, and he wanted to say something important and significant. So he did. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for that. I think if more people would be as honest as he was yesterday, our government would be much more functional. What he said was with honesty, but the incongruency raised it's ugly head when he cast his vote.

I'm sure he voted the way you wanted him to, so I don't understand what your problem is.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust

Ours is an intentional system of checks and balances, so that no one branch of government carries more political power than another. For the president to wield more power than the other two branches would essentially amount to a dictatorship.

Kudos to McCain for kindly reminding his fellow senators of this truth.

So now Senators can issue Executive Orders? Please provide a link to the law that allows them equality in that area.

McCain is bat-spit crazy and has been for quite some time.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

he needs to retire. but he is correct as far as the senate as a whole.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Good, I'm glad you can understand that opinions are meaningless. Perhaps you'll stop attempting to spew yours as if it has any relevance here.

Listening to what was said isn't an interpretation. It's listening to what was said. Now I understand that being an adult and listening to what somebody says rather than what you think they really meant is hard for you, but you can do it if you try hard.

As for the rest of your drivel, I still haven't offered my opinion in McCain so I can't see any reason to explain why I do or do not like him. Since you've already admitted to understanding opinions, including yours, are meaningless here perhaps you can stop trying to bait me with ad homs. Again, I know discussing things like an adult is hard, but give it a shot.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join