It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I lost the bed fight with my dog

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: sussy

So how come at 3 am I wake up and so called mutt is in the middle of the bed lying sideways taking up all the room.

Because every time you roll or adjust in your sleep, he takes the space you just vacated, a little more each time, until you are displaced, same with the couch.

Battle for who's dominant, who runs the pack is ongoing, you haven't 'lost' just take your space back. If you want to show who's boss, kick him off the bed or couch entirely, growl at him while you do it. Look direct into his eyes after and don't look away first. Don't let him back onto the couch / bed/ until he knows his place.

Its a battle of attrition, ongoin, so you will have to take back your place at the head of the pack a little at a time, the same way he took / takes it a little at a time, from you.

Understanding how animals , especially pack animals look at the world is key. Dogs with more 'instincts' will try to run the household, its natural for them to try to rise to the top.

Just keep reminding him, then praise when he submits.

You are 100% correct! Our previous dog was a Bernese Mtn Dog, I was in the shower one time and had left a brand new pair of jeans on the bed. I went to get dressed and caught him chewing his second belt loop off. As pisssed off as I was, I don't believe in hitting a dog that is still learning, instead I stood over him, grabbed him by the cheeks, pulled his face up where we could make eye contact. I then scowled at him best I could, showed my teeth, and summoned up the deepest growl and loudest bark that I could produce. It was like night and day from that point on, with only the occasional "reminder" needed.

Luckily with the new puppy Im not having much of an issue with the dominant behavior coming out....yet, when it does I'll be ready. We aren't fighting for the same spot on the bed, she is just a very active sleeper that kicks, tosses and turns all night.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: RainyState

I see you speak dog, too....

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Dogs truly can be ninjas especially at night . I could not work out why my glass of water was always half empty when i would wake for a drink . Yep the dog would drink it down until he couldn't lap any more up . Thing is he had plenty of water . After a shower he would lap up the water as well .And the bed , well put it this way i would kick the sheets out at the end of the bed so i guess you all know where this is headed . Now i know you all have seen your dog do the simba walk when they are in trouble .Well i swear he used to simba his way under the blankets . Damn i miss him .

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
You give an inch, they take a mile.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
We lost the fight with our doggy years and years ago. I love him snuggling on our bed though, he's such a sweet boy. Thing is he's 20lbs. Not that big right? Well he lays horizontal instead of vertical.

Picture a queen sized bed with said dog sprawled in premium bed space, husband and I literally on the edge.

It got to the point where it was affecting my sleep because I had no room anymore.

Did we kick doggy off the bed?

Noooooo, we bought a bigger bed!

Now we have a king sized bed in all it's glory and it's fabulous. I have room again!

I could never kick him off the bed though. It's his favorite place in the whole house. I've never seen a dog get so excited to go to bed. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join