It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metformin is an Endocrine Disruptor and Threat to Humankind

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

Yeah - I have to agree, you are at high risk for diabetes. The fact that you have metabolic syndrome (fatty liver disease) is the tip off. Pre-gestational diabetes is also a tip off.

Have you tried a bike? its cardio without putting the wieght on your feet.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Ah the bike! Yes! I will need to get my tires re-inflated and hopefully get back into it when the weather is better. (Its pretty cold and windy here in winter in the part of australia I live). I have a lake nearby thats just under 7kms around and its lovely to ride! I remember I did it every couple of days in the years before I had my son. Thanks for that tip!

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

You will want to try adopting a diabetic diet now. You can introduce changes slowly.

Try a lower carbohydrate diet. Usually diabetic diets advise 50 % carbohydrate. I find I do much better if I reduce carbohydrates to 25 %

1. No juices. Juices are only 1 or 2 times a year treat for diabetics. Switch to infused water with cucumbers or lemonade. If the taste is not satisfying, throw in a packet or two of splenda.

2. No milk. You can have a serving of plain greek yoghurt once or twice a week. Mix in 1 spoonful of peanut butter and 2 spoonful of Fryes cocoa. It tastes like eating a Reese's pudding. Or use fruit or vanilla extract with splenda. All to taste of course.

3 Give up bread wherever you can but not completely Same thing with potatoes, rice and pasta.

4. Vegetables and meat are your best friends. Have as much as you like.

5. Don't eat reduced fat products. Quite often the missing fat was replaced with sugar or salt.

6. Nut olives and cheeses, seeds and lentils add interest to your diet.
An apple eaten as half portions throughout the day is better than a whole apple all at once. never more than 1/2 banana in a day.

7. If you Blood sugar is in control and you feel like having a small portion of your favorite treat - go ahead. Be kind to yourself.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

They have spinning bikes for indoor use that require less maintenance.
Good while watching TV or even phone and texting.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

4. Vegetables and meat are your best friends. Have as much as you like.

I recently saw the doc What The Health and while I suspect it too has some fluff and biased exaggerations, I think it may also have some useful info and Source references. The guy kind of comes across as gweebish, and the doc has much criticism,but there may still be a baby with the bathwater. He raises some interesting questions.
The China Study is another reference.

I posted this because the doc claims now that meat(processed particularly) is a major factor with diabetes. Threw me for a surprise and it may not be entirely true, but I think it's worth a gander.

Trailer ( wish they would drop the dramatic music)

edit on 2pmf31584931 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

There seems to be a study that shows problems with every kind of food on the planet. Vegetables and fruit are contaminated with pesticides and low in nutrition unless they are organically farmed. Meat causes cancer. Only bugs appear to be recommended recently. Most kinds of fat are responsible are heart disease.

There are only 3 tastes - fat, salt and sugar. All of them have their proponents and detractors.

Know what - starvation is a bad side effect and nobody should have to live their lives in a state of deprivation.

We still got to eat. Diabetics are already giving up a lot just to survive. Leave us be and let us eat whatever is left.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Just don't eat a lot of carbohydrates before bed it will raise your A1C.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I hear ya friend, it's a mess, no offense intended and I wish you well in your health management.
I guess my take on it all at this point is mostly plant based diet and better selection of meats, as in minimally processed, is a good choice.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Agreed No one should eat after 10 pm but certainly not diabetics

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

a reply to: M4ngo

I don't disagree with you.

Please explain the average age of death in the 70s and 80s???????

Also what are you going to say to the people who can't afford hundreds of dollars a month for insulin costs as opposed to $4.00 for metformin???????

Plus the cost of the blood test strips at a dollar a piece???????

Which big pharma do you work for? Its clear your purpose of the OP was not to inform about environmental concerns but to get people off of metformin?

I do not blindly trust advice or opinions from medical establishments that are paid shills.

• This is the Disclosure of the official consensus statement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology on the 2017 comprehensive type 2 diabetes management algorithm.

Dr. Jeffrey R. Garber reports that he does not have any relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests.

Dr. Alan J. Garber reports that he is a consultant for Novo Nordisk and Intarcia

Dr. W. Timothy Garvey reports that he is a consultant for AstraZeneca, Janssen, Eisai, Takeda, Novo Nordisk, Alexion, and Merck. He has also received research grants from Merck, Weight Watchers, Sanofi, Eisai, AstraZeneca, Lexicon, Pfizer, Novo Nordisk, and Elcelyx. Dr. Garvey is a shareholder in ISIS Pharmaceuticals, Novartis, Bristol Myers Squibb, Pfizer, Merck, and Eli Lilly.

Dr. Martin Julian Abrahamson reports that he is a consultant for Novo Nordisk, WebMD Health Services, and Health IQ.

Dr. Joshua I. Barzilay reports that he does not have any relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests.

Dr. Lawrence Blonde reports that he is a consultant for AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, Intarcia, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Merck & Co., Inc., Novo Nordisk, and Sanofi. He is also a speaker for AstraZeneca, Janssen Pharmacueticals, Inc., Merck & Co., Inc., Novo Nordisk, and Sanofi. Dr. Blonde has received research grant support from AstraZeneca, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Lexicon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Merck & Co., Novo Nordisk, and Sanofi.

Dr. George Grunberger reports that he has received speaker honoraria from Eli Lilly, BI-Lilly, Novo Nordisk, Sanofi, Janssen, and AstraZeneca. He has received research funding from AstraZeneca, Eli Lilly, Lexicon, and Medtronic.

Dr. Zachary Bloomgarden reports that he is a consultant for AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Intarcia, and Novartis. He is also a speaker for Merck, AstraZeneca, and Johnson & Johnson. He is a stock shareholder for Allergan, Pfizer, Zimmer Biomet, and Novartis.

Dr. Yehuda Handelsman reports that he is a consultant for Amarin, Amgen, AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim (BI), Janssen, Eli Lilly, Eisai, Intarcia, Merck, Novo Nordisk, Sano , and Regeneron. He is a speaker for Amarin, Amgen, AstraZeneca, BI-Lilly, Janssen, Novo Nordisk, Sanofi, and Regeneron. Dr. Handelsman has also received grant support from Amgen, AstraZeneca, BI, Esperion, Grifols, Hamni, GlaxoSmithKline, Lexicon, Merck, Novo Nordisk, and Sanofi.

Dr. Michael A. Bush reports that he is an Advisory Board Consultant for Janssen and Eli Lilly. He is on the speaker’s bureau for Takeda, Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk, AstraZeneca, and Boehringer Ingelheim.

Dr. Irl B. Hirsch reports that he is a consultant for Abbott Diabetes Care, Roche, Intarcia, and Valeritas.

Dr. Samuel Dagogo-Jack reports that he is a consultant for Merck, Novo Nordisk, Janssen, and Boehringer Ingelheim. He has received research grants from Amgen. Additionally, AstraZeneca, Novo Nordisk, and Boehringer Ingelheim have clinical trial contracts with the University of Tennessee for studies in which Dr. Dagogo-Jack serves as the Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator.

Dr. Paul S. Jellinger reports that he has received speaker honoraria from BI-Lilly, AstraZeneca, Novo Nordisk, Merck, and Amgen.

Dr. Ralph Anthony DeFronzo reports that he is on the Advisory Board for AstraZeneca, Novo Nordisk, Janssen, Boehringer Ingelheim, Intarcia, and Ecelyx. He is also a speaker for Novo Nordisk and AstraZeneca. Dr. DeFronzo has received research grant support from Boehringer Ingelheim, Takeda, Janssen, and AstraZeneca.

Dr. Janet B. McGill reports that she is a consultant for Boehringer Ingelheim, Janssen, merck, Novo Nordisk, Calibra, Dynavax, Valertias, and Intarcia. She is also a speaker for Janssen. Dr. McGill has received research grant support from Novartis, Dexcom, Bristol Myers Squibb, and Lexicon.

Dr. Daniel Einhorn reports that he is a consultant for Eli Lilly, Takeda, Novo Nordisk, Adocia, Sanofi, Epitracker, Janssen, Intarcia, Glysens, and Freedom-Meditech and has received research grant support from Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly, AstraZeneca, Eisai, Janssen, and Sanofi. He is also a shareholder of Halozyme.

Dr. Paul D. Rosenblit reports that he is a consultant for AstraZeneca and a speaker for AstraZeneca (Bristol Myers Squibb), Boehringer Ingelheim, GlaxoSmithKline, Janssen, Merck, Novo Nordisk, and Takeda. He has also received research grant support from Amgen, AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol Myers Squibb, GlaxoSmithKline, Ionis, Eli Lilly, Lexicon, Merck, Novo Nordisk, Orexigen, Pfizer, and Sanofi.

Dr. Vivian A. Fonseca reports that he is a consul- tant for Takeda, Novo Nordisk, Sanofi, Eli Lily, Pamlabs, AstraZeneca, Abbott, Boehringer Ingelheim, Janssen and Intarcia. He is a speaker for Takeda, AstraZeneca, and Sanofi. Dr. Fonseca has also received research grants from Novo Nordisk, Asahi, Eli Lilly, Abbott, Endo Barrier, Bayer, and Gilead.

Dr. Guillermo E. Umpierrez reports that he is a consultant for Sano and Glytec. He also received research grant support from Merck, Sanofi, Boehringer Ingelheim, AstraZeneca, and Novo Nordisk.

Dr. Jeffrey I. Mechanick reports that he is a consultant for Abbott Nutrition International.

Dr. Stephanie Adams reports that she does not have any relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests.

CONSENSUS STATEMENT BY THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS AND AMERICAN COLLEGE OF ENDOCRINOLOGY ON THE COMPREHENSIVE TYPE 2 DIABETES MANAGEMENT ALGORITHM – 2017 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

I can easily conclude that the Endo Community are paid shills and pharmaceutical companies are running the show (excluding the three people that claimed no financial interests). Insulin hasn't been first line treatment because hardly anyone wants to inject themselves multiple times daily. Considering that fact that this particular medical community is pretty much entirely bought out, I question anything they recommend and so far they recommend a neurotoxin as the first line treatment. That's what I see.

On page 1, third post down, I included facts about Metformin that these people are not going to tell you. Metformin is a neurotoxin.

I do appreciate your insight though and I don't mean any disrespect in our arguing. We just view things differently and that's ok.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

It is definitively ok to disagree M4ngo.

I know that you recommend insulin because it is natural to the body. I went the whole "insulin is natural" fad about 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, insulin, even the powder form that is inhalable does cause weigh gain and has some pretty severe pneumo-pulmonary effects as well.

www.rxlist.com...

If I have to take insulin, I would stick with injectables but yes, something you don't have to inject would be an improvement. We are just not there yet.

One thing is for sure. I am not giving up metformin because of some bogus study on environmental concerns. I have the right to survive just like the minnows do. Metformin may be a neurotoxin and it may kill me at some point in the future but it has kept me alive (without amputations, kidney problems or blindness or diabetic neuropathy) for 30 years now. I am good with delaying death as long as possible

Please remember what I said, its very very important to remember:

50 % of all medical studies cannot be replicated.

That means the study was bogus in the first place.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I appreciate your words and will share them with my childrens father and he will take it from there. I wanted you to know that there are folks out there listening and pondering your experiences and advice.
Thanks!

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thank you for your kind words. Its encouraging.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

So, what exactly are people that need Metformin to keep their sugar under control supposed to do exactly? I find this concerning because I know diabetics and they can't go without this medication.

Go on a ketogenic diet. You'll lose weight and be healthier due to lack of spikes in insulin levels. With all seriousness, I'm a strong believer in Keto diets for everyone.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

There are strong proponents for every diet under the sun.

Thanks for restricting me to a high protein diet with little or no carbs. It may work very very well for you but I find it too restrictive to manage for a lifetime. The best I can do is three months. Then I re-introduced a small amount of carbs in my diet and within a month I had regained all the weight I lost.

You can have a weak moment and indulge in carbs once in a while but I can't. The diet of a diabetic has to be something they can live with for the rest of their lives.

I find it easier to eat some carbs but restrict them to a degree.

Its all a matter of personal choice.it

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

There are strong proponents for every diet under the sun.

Thanks for restricting me to a high protein diet with little or no carbs. It may work very very well for you but I find it too restrictive to manage for a lifetime. The best I can do is three months. Then I re-introduced a small amount of carbs in my diet and within a month I had regained all the weight I lost.

You can have a weak moment and indulge in carbs once in a while but I can't. The diet of a diabetic has to be something they can live with for the rest of their lives.

I find it easier to eat some carbs but restrict them to a degree.

Its all a matter of personal choice.it

It's tough to stick with. I can't argue that but you can also cycle carbs into a keto diet if you exercise regularly and if you actually do care about your health then you are anyways. Simply eat carbs before your workout and get the best or both worlds. I could be mistaken, I'm not diabetic and I hope I never am but does carb cycling not work for diabetics who exercise?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

If you are type 1 and or taking insulin you may get too many hypoglycemia crashes to stick with keto.
Passing out and hitting your head on the concrete isn't very healthy either.
On the other hand type 2 borderline responds well to targeted ketogenic diets.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower

If you are type 1 and or taking insulin you may get too many hypoglycemia crashes to stick with keto.
Passing out and hitting your head on the concrete isn't very healthy either.
On the other hand type 2 borderline responds well to targeted ketogenic diets.

This is why it pays to ask questions. Star and thanks for the reply. I'm going to do some research for myself on the subject.

edit on 25-7-2017 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

For a diabetic, all carbs cause a sugar spike. It takes about two hours for the Blood sugar to return to its pre-carb level and in fact, if the carb load was too heavy, it can take days.

Every blood sugar spike causes damage to the capillaries in the eyes, kidneys and feet.

the best time to eat carbs is before a work out as it helps to return the blood sugar to the pre-carb load. Best to eat complex carbs like porridge as complex carbs don't cause such a spike.

I totally agree with what you are saying.

Ketogenic diets, extensive exercise routines all work on paper. It totally does.

But diabets are people, not paper.

Imagine, YOu have controlled yourself thru sheer will power for months to a ketogenic diet. You want carbs but have restricted yourself to the point where it hurts. You are angry at this restriction. You watch people around you eat pasta, potatoes and wonderful smelling bread. There may also be cultural aspects to this. Imagine a family gathering where everyone is eating lasagna but all you have is meat and green beans. You feel abnormal. You are fustrated. You feel separate and apart from the people you love. You feel (rightly so) that everyone is watching every bite you put in your mouth.

If you eat a single spoonful of mashed potatoes, you are blamed for your disease, dismissed as not taking care of yourself, and pitied by the same people who just ate a truck load of mashed potatoes.

What would your reaction be to soothe your feelings....yeah that's right ....have a hidden midnight feast of all the foods you have denied yourself.

It is one thing to restrict carbs voluntarily and another to have people force a restriction on you through social peer pressure.

When it comes to diabetes, slow and steady wins the race. Eating a restricted diet most of the time and planning for occasional treats is far far better for your emotional well being. Regulated living with established exercise patterns.

In other words, I know you mean well but this is not your disease. This is mine and I have to manage it as best as I can

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

It is definitively ok to disagree M4ngo.

I know that you recommend insulin because it is natural to the body. I went the whole "insulin is natural" fad about 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, insulin, even the powder form that is inhalable does cause weigh gain and has some pretty severe pneumo-pulmonary effects as well.

www.rxlist.com...

If I have to take insulin, I would stick with injectables but yes, something you don't have to inject would be an improvement. We are just not there yet.

One thing is for sure. I am not giving up metformin because of some bogus study on environmental concerns. I have the right to survive just like the minnows do. Metformin may be a neurotoxin and it may kill me at some point in the future but it has kept me alive (without amputations, kidney problems or blindness or diabetic neuropathy) for 30 years now. I am good with delaying death as long as possible

Please remember what I said, its very very important to remember:

50 % of all medical studies cannot be replicated.

That means the study was bogus in the first place.

Your claim that the studies are bogus displays your ignorance.

Here's a fact: The medication you are now ignorantly defending is endorsed by a group of paid shills. Have you nothing to say about the paid shills of the Endo Concensus which governs diabetes health care? You contradict yourself by blindly trusting the establishment and defending them.

Real science disagrees with you:

Antidiabetic drug metformin (GlucophageR) increases biogenesis of Alzheimer's amyloid peptides via up-regulating BACE1 transcription

Biological and biophysics aspects of metformin‐induced effects: cortex mitochondrial dysfunction and promotion of toxic amyloid pre‐fibrillar aggregates

Metformin Facilitates Amyloid-β Generation by β- and γ-Secretases via Autophagy Activation

Metformin increases APP expression and processing via oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction and NF-κB activation: Use of insulin to attenuate metformin's effect

Metformin and the gastrointestinal tract

Metformin alters the gut microbiome of individuals with treatment-naive type 2 diabetes, contributing to the therapeutic effects of the drug

Study of Vitamin B12 deficiency and peripheral neuropathy in metformin-treated early Type 2 diabetes mellitus

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join