It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-year-old raped by relative can have abortion without parents’ consent, Alabama court rules

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Azureblue

The family?

Did you fail to read that the girls family are largely responsible for the abuse she suffered, which lead to the pregnancy? Did you fail to read that the mother of this girl physically assaulted her upon finding out that she was pregnant?

Let me make something clear...

This girls parents are abusive, and unfit to perform the role, which is why she is now under the care of the state, and SHOULD be. I am rarely one to recommend that the state involve itself at the narrow end of a families life, but in cases like this and similar, they MUST, and you should support that, because failure to do so is how you get generational victimisation, repeated sexual abuse at the hands of "responsible" adults, and generations of inbreeding, not to mention psychologically damaged people!

If you do not want that, then you have to accept some state assistance.

In that case then why did the court not deal with that issue also. What does it say about the system when a court looks at an issue supposedly to deliver justice for all and not study the parents role in this event and order corrective and preventative actions be implemented.

Did the court offer the child any physical protection for as long as it takes to have the abortion and for some time after? or did the court feed the child to the wolves in the family..

Again the xyz court should either done the job properly or stayed the xyz away from the child as it seems she is now in a more perilous position now than before. Hang on, ahhhh, the state must have control over its property must'nt it?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: Azureblue

so I side with... it's the girls say that matters!!! - I agree but the state via the court should not have made the decision the child could or could not have the abortion. It should have stayed out of the family and the child's way and let the child take whatever action the child wanted to.
its dangerous to agree with state interference in peoples lives just because we happen to agree with their ruling they made. A better arguement and a better decision by the court would have been that the court has no power to interfere in the family so therefore its for the child and family to decide.

THEN they could have put in place a mechanism or a process to make very certain, the child's whish's were paramount in the decision.

Your allowing for a 12 year old make a major decision which will effect

her for the rest of her life when by law she is regulated to....

# Attend school

# Is not allowed to buy or drink alcohol

# To smoke

# Drive a car

# Consent to sex

# Get married

# Left home alone for a lengthy time (UK)

She has probably only just stopped playing with dolls, hasn't yet had

the obligatory 'sex' education talks. Cannot contemplate where the

baby will exit, and doesn't think of it as anything other than a 'living doll'!!

She needs time and care to come to terms with the rape and violation

and the inevitable 'flashbacks' which will take years.

She is not capable of making a rational decision at her age and

in her condition.

sorry, but i disagree, some of us know that life is a tough business and sometimes the tough decisions in life start early. We all make good decisions and we all make bad decisions.

Either way they are ours and we have to live through the benefits and and we have to live through the pain.

In nearly all cases we never know if some decisions were good or bad until some years later.

Here is a challenge for you.

May I suggest, if you want to help the girl, explain the positives and negatives of both possible choices, let her make her decision without any pressure at all, then support her to the hilt for the rest of your days.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Well she did make her decision and it was to abort.

So why not go with that then??

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

You know what you could have done, instead of going off half cocked, is actually read all the available information properly. Pretty much all the questions you have asked, already have readily available answers, and all you have to do is actually read the related material in order to get them.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

pregnancy is a natural thing, for a 12 year old???
don't think so!!!

More so than abortion, which isn't natural for anyone.

"The placenta preferentially will take nutrition from the mother, who really is a child," said Sherry Thomas, an ob/gyn at Mission Community Hospital in Panorama City, Calif. That means that the developing fetus will leach calcium and other nutrients from a child who should still be growing herself. Likewise, pregnancy puts a major strain on the cardiovascular system, according to Wall. Pregnant women have about 50 percent more blood circulating through their bodies compared with non-pregnant women. [8 Odd Bodily Changes During Pregnancy

A good vitamin regimen can correct any issues there.

The greatest danger, however, is to the pelvic floor. Girls may start ovulating and menstruating as early as age 9, though the average is around 12 to 13. (Some studies suggest that the average age of first menstruation is dropping, but the data is not conclusive.) Just because a girl can get pregnant, though, doesn't mean she can safely deliver a baby. The pelvis does not fully widen until the late teens, meaning that young girls may not be able to push the baby through the birth canal.

That's the real concern here. How physically developed is this girl, and can her system handle it or not? Some might be able, at that age, though many more would not be able at all. No good solution for a case like this one. One thing this case does do is illustrate why teens should NOT be having sex.

if it was so natural, young girls wouldn't need c-sections to safely have them!!!

I stated that pregnancy is a natural process. I did not state it was good for a child of twelve. Go back and re-read the comments. You were discussing pregnancy as something "more dangerous" than abortion, in general, NOT just as applies to this one case.

The maternal death rate for teens under age 15 is two and a half times greater than that of mothers aged 20 to 24.6

www.advocatesforyouth.org...

Again, another reason teens should be discouraged from having sex. This girl wasn't given a choice, of course, but many do choose. Not old enough to safely give birth ought to mean not old enough for sex.

Stop pretending that anyone stated THIS girl is able to safely deliver a baby, because you decided to choose this case as a defense for abortion.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

The courts did. They removed her from the custody of her parents.

Did people not read the article or even the title of this thread? Did you just selectively see "12 year old" and "abortion" and jump in?
edit on 7/27/2017 by MonkeyFishFrog because: word

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
alot of 12 year olds are developed enough for a baby to pass through the birth canal, and there's not really much natural about c-sections!

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
How about a lynching for the rapist while their at it. I suppose most will go with "god" will send him to hell after a few more rapes and abuses on earth.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
alot of 12 year olds are developed enough for a baby to pass through the birth canal, and there's not really much natural about c-sections!

Some are, some aren't. I wasn't at that age, though I knew some people who looked basically like adults. No, nothing natural about a c-section, but they can resolve some issues. Been there, done that. Not something ideal for a child of twelve, though.

Really hope the jerk responsible for her condition gets what he has coming. No good outcome for her, at this point.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join