It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind Blowing!! 1.5 Gigapixel Photo of the Andromeda Galaxy!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Technically, a camera is digitally generating an image. So it would still be a form of CGI.

But it's all semantics anyway. Just like the argument that the photo in the OP isn't real because it's CGI.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

But it's all semantics anyway. Just like the argument that the photo in the OP isn't real because it's CGI.

I think what is disputable is the amount of the image that is 'fake' versus 'stitching.'

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: OrionHunterX

Nice OP

Another good starting place towards appreciating scale is here in our own little corner of space. A guy called Josh Worth created a site for people to scroll through our system from the Sun to Pluto and it takes a long time! I timed it at 4 minutes and 40 seconds to reach Earth from the Sun which means we're travelling almost twice the speed of light (8 minutes to Earth from Sun) and it still feels SLOW.

If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel - A tediously accurate map of the solar system.

The sheer mind-numbing scales of space and the universe leave me feeling marooned. It's the sensation someone must have when they're on a tiny island with nothing more than ocean on all sides. Yes, part of me feels awe at the beauty of it all and it touches the old heart strings. Underlying the awe is a sadness at how isolated we are here and how profoundly precious this planet is.

Damn... that was mind-blowing x 100

And I thought Iceland was mostly empty and big... DAYUM!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: TerryDon79

I think what is disputable is the amount of the image that is 'fake' versus 'stitching.'

True. The images are real, but stitched together.

If I used the "panorama" feature on my iPhone (which works by taking multiple images as I pan my camera, and then automatically stiches them together), the panoramic image is still as "real" as the image would have been if I didn't use the pano feature.

For 'toysforadults' to call this image CGI would be like calling any digital image (stitched or otherwise) CGI.

For example, this gigapan of Tokyo should certainly not be considered "CGI", even though it was NOT captured as one single image:
360gigapixels.com...

Jus like the gigapan picture of Tokyo above, the image of Andromeda on the OP is a series of images stitched together as a mosaic. The gigapan software allows a person to zoom and browse that mosaic in a manner that is efficient to a computer.

edit on 24/7/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

If NASA manually hand stitched together 2 photos of the moon that were taken with a film camera by the boy next door and that were developed by a local Pharmacy (my Pharmacist developed film here), and sent it to his door, his claim would be:

It's fake, NASA manipulated those photos to make that image.

No point in arguing, they will take normal words to make a twisted sentence to make it look like a conspiracy, and say NASA fakes everything.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Photoelectric effect was theoretically described more then 100 years ago by A. Einstein (BTW his Nobel price achievement). From that time was this effect used successfully in countless appliances. One of most known is CCD: the part of digital camera which "converts" light to electric signal.

We can even reverse the question: Human vision is based on change of shape of molecules affected by photons. This change of molecular shape moderates (once again) electric potential gradients in nerve pathways leading to brain. Human vision is much more "sorcery" than all telescopes from radio to gamma wavelengths combined.

All critics should start with criticism of photoelectric effect or its individual applications.

So why is CCD imaging bad? Because NASA publishes (not only) composites which have lot of wow effect but no real scientific meaning? May be because NASA is part of society where stupid TV programing is every 10 minutes filled with block of stupid ads propagating psychoactive "medicine"....

Just a rant. Every solid scientific institution should have popular science program. Such images are part of it

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
That's pretty crazy when you zoom all the way in, it looks like camera flash reflections overlaid on a picture of a beach or patch of sand.

Obviously all of the really bright Stars are Stars, but in the all the way zoomed in is each of the "sand particles" a star as well does anyone know?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: wildespace

Why do you keep saying we can see it when we can't, we can only observe the data of the tools they use to collect the data in the first place with someones thought up idea of what the data is suppose to look like.

The only thing you are looking at in that picture is a computer image someone create. You are not looking at the actual stars themselves.

Why is it so hard for you to say that?

Dawg, what do you think your eyes and brain are doing for you? Oh you thought you were looking "out" at the Universe? You thought if you step outside and look up that you are looking at the actual stars themselves? Those light reflections are entering your eyes and then all those different signals are sent to your brain where they are consolidated and turned into the image you believe you see. You aren't actually seeing it, you aren't even looking, your brain is just making a composite sketch for you according to all of the data it collected. It is showing you what it thinks that chair looks like.

Crazy how the world works like that isn't it?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

here we see an idiot in its natural habitat

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

If the picture zooms that close, we should be able to see evidence of super-intelligent life. No?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If you squint, there's a little alien bastard waving the bird at us.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FelisOrion
Do they have a 1.5 gigapixel photo of our Earth from the moon?

Those cameras didn't exist during Apollo. And recent satelite missions didn't have an Earthshot as a goal. If you want that kind of imagery, there are several near Earth ones that took high rez pics of the Earth...not to mention Google Earth images.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

a reply to: roadgravel

Why don't you do us a favor and explain the difference between both of the process rather than throw out that strawman?

There's no difference. The Hubble is basically a huge digital camera attached to a telescope. No one decides what the "data" should look like (aside from assigning colours to the narrow-band images). The telescope's optics focus the light on the sensor, which then creates a digital image, same as your own camera.
edit on 24-7-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
That's pretty crazy when you zoom all the way in, it looks like camera flash reflections overlaid on a picture of a beach or patch of sand.

Obviously all of the really bright Stars are Stars, but in the all the way zoomed in is each of the "sand particles" a star as well does anyone know?

Yes, each of those "sand particles" is a star.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: sputniksteve

Yes, each of those "sand particles" is a star.

Wow! Fantastic thanks for verifying that. I figured that was the case, but man it never ceases to be mind blowing.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: OrionHunterX I took a i hr Krell brain boost to help understand the scale and dimensions
of our local universe. It didn't help- i feel the earth has someone looking over it's shoulder.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I want to but I won't.
We must control ourselves-

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

If the picture zooms that close, we should be able to see evidence of super-intelligent life. No?

If we zoom in close to stars in our own galaxy (stars which are 1000X closer), do we see evidence of super-intelligent life?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: carewemust

If you squint, there's a little alien bastard waving the bird at us.

What sector? Seriously, if you can see individual stars in another galaxy, finding ancient ruins, or crash sites in our solar system should be a snap.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: carewemust

If we zoom in close to stars in our own galaxy (stars which are 1000X closer), do we see evidence of super-intelligent life?

I'm not in control of the apparatus, so I can't answer your question, SGIP. Sorry.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join