It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to your future Millenialls and Gen Y... welcome to Neo-American Feudalism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ravenshadow13
a reply to: Metallicus

Yes however some of us use our brains and work hard and experience upward mobility in terms of skills and our professional networks, but depending on your sector your may still be left hanging with crumbs of income with no hope of paying off loans, saving for a house, retirement, etc.

I have an advanced degree and six years of work experience and I'll tell you right now that when my parents were my age, they did have it on easy street--their advanced degrees were paid for, my dad had a job with a pension, my mom owned a condo...

I mean, forget it. If they get rid of social security for our generation we will be totally screwed because despite my amazing professional reputation I can't have a future making $700 a month and neither can my peers who are in the same boat. Some of them even have more advanced degrees, more experience, and more debt than I do. I'm not talking about Art History majors. I'm talking about environmental lawyers and scientists.

But we should all go, what, develop apps or something right? Or not have finished college and gotten some cushy job through a friend?

Full disclosure - I am a boomer.

I got through high school, then joined the Army to get the GI bill. Went to college, got an Army commission, and did the Army officer thing for many years, active and reserves. Got done with Active duty, got my maters degree, worked at a small company, and when the owners retired, me and two other employees bought the company. I later started my own business, and when to work for a Federal Agency at the same time.

I have done well, have over $1 million in my retirement funds, own a few hundred acres in several places around Pennsylvania, and have paid off my very nice house on a large chunk of land with a one-acre pond and my own personal shooting range.

But I must caution you that most of the bile you will get from boomers and Gen-xers here, and most likely other places, are form those bitter people who did not really work hard, and certainly did not work smart. They are the people who never got a college degree, or never strived to achieve long term goals. They took an easy path when they were young, worked manual labor jobs, and could not see the writing on the wall.

One in the job market, most of them stopped reading, continuing their educations, take risks like starting businesses, or seek opportunities outside of the little bubble of their "comfort zone." They, like most of their generation, still live within 50 miles of the high school they graduated from.

So they are going to bitch at you, primarily because they are jealous over your future, and are really angry at themselves, and the bleak future that is before them. So don't take them seriously, but rather pithy them. They say they are working hard pushing rocks for a living, and then a millennial (or a smart old-school boomer) shows up with a front-end loader, moves all the rocks in an efficient manner, gets paid and buys good stuff, while all the old manual labors get fired.

Hang in there. Work smart. Hard work is just hard. There is no value in pushing rocks if you can run a front-end loader.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
So called Millennial here. We aren't all bad. I seem to be doing ok for myself, and I'm on the right track to continued success. When I grow old, hopefully have money, I can look back and say... yes life was very challenging, but I made it through, and I was self made.

I will agree though, a lot of people from my generation are lazy, and very unmotivated. Not to mention some of them are going to be screwed their whole life because they racked up massive debt for worthless degrees. I didn't even go to college, so I don't have that debt burden. Instead I invest money in myself, and decided to run a business. It's pretty much how the future will be. More entrepreneurs are what we need, not a bunch of people about to be replaced by robots and AI.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TacSite18
a reply to: toysforadults

My official predication is that the new state (the corporation) is going to start providing housing before raising the wages of employees and it will market it as a new benefit and try to make it look cool.

Like the old "company towns" that the mining industry used in the 19th and into the mid 1930's. You lived in the company housing, got paid in "script" that could only be redeemed ant the company store.

Makes sense to me. We could call it Milleniall feudalism,.

Actually thats exactly what I had in mind.

Think of the Rockefeller massacre.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The total lack of respect for others demonstrated in the posts in this thread tell me clearly why some of you can’t find satisfying work. The apparent lack of writing skill (spelling/grammar) doesn’t help either. Not to mention the inability to make a point without name calling.

We know the drill. All of us 40+ owe all of you under everything you desire...for free! It’s your manifest destiny...

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

I agree with your first paragraph.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Not that anyone cares about my personal opinion. But america has had serious economic infrastructure problems since at least the 70s onward.

People are getting paid less and less for the same work as cost of living increases.

The problem doesnt lie with the working stiff regardless if they are lazy or hard working. The problem lies with the employers and the shareholders trying to make record profits by short changing the employee.

Yeah thats right, you, the employers are the actual problem. You guys can go back to making record profits once you actually start paying the actual cost of doing business and that starts with paying people a living wage. And dont tell me with your garbage math that increasing minimum wage is a problem. You know there are other first world nations that actually have minimum wages of 16-17 usd an hour and somehow their economies have consistantly done better than the usa for several decades now. Thats right economically the usa pound for pound is run by economic stooges and their driving the country into the ground. They will be responsible for the downfall of the usa. Not the other way around.

Somehow these other countries and their economic experts can make it work just fine without having to pull the wool over their nations eyes with indoctrinated BS voodoo math. Your believing a lie if you think its the employees that are the problem. Its unethical and record breaking greed by the employers thats the problem.
edit on 24-7-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I wonder if we hadn't increased our population by a million people a year for the last several decades if we would have all these problems?? Somehow I think not.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
a reply to: lordcomac

You are a fool is the problem.

School costed close to nothing still when you were in it as opposed to now and guess what generation made it possible to saddle Millennials with tons and tons of student loan debt so as to make sure they could get loans taken out against those students as collateral.

The ignorance of the previous generations is both staggering, and appalling.

You probably should rethink spouting off about ignorance when you seem incapable of stringing together a basic sentence. These are skills taught in grade school, and you do not even seem to have the most rudimentary grasp of that level of communication.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TacSite18

I applaud your work ethic and good on you for doing well.

I am curious though, what if literally everyone took the same path as you?

Do you think there would be enough resources and who would fill the menial low paying and laborious jobs ?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

And it will be a "tiny house" and we'll feel lucky to have it. Why? because most won't even have jobs. Why robots, foreign workers, etc.

Agenda 21. It's happening.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Its already being market that way, it's called the minimalist lifestyle and they have been trying to make it appealing for yeara, all the while screaming at you for being lazy and not working hard enough.

Work slave! Now be happy with your pittance you could be North Korean!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoneWithHumans
Most of the older generation that I interact with are idiots compared to Millennials I've met, and the generation before them even dumber many times, some would call this a 'pattern'. I'm not speaking about simple day-to-day life things like Driving, and Computer use, but critical thinking in general. The idea they aren't just 'bad' at video games for example, but literally incapable, while currently 5 year old absolve enough of their environment to understand a button push relates to another event, feels disgusting to me. Imagine having to explain to someone how to use an elevator every opportunity it's used, and that's roughly how it feels having grandparents with a computer and email.

By your descriptions here, I can only assume you have a really, really low opinion of the intelligence of anyone living in a third world country. You may have to explain to your grandparents how email and a computer work, but aside from keeping up with the Joneses, where does any of that really get you?

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs...
1. Physiological... food, shelter, clothing, etc. If Amazon goes down, can you turn raw wool into clothes? If your supermarket experiences a disaster or a shortage, do you possess the knowledge and skills to hunt or trap animals or forage, recognizing the difference between an edible plant and a noxious one? Do you have the skillset required to construct a shelter for yourself out of naturally available materials that will actually keep you dry and warm?
2. Safety... this one is a doozey these days for one simple reason, mental and emotional elasticity. I'll be blunt, my generation seems to be comprised of a large percentage of fragile, wilting emotional basket cases. My grandparents and parents generation were drafted to fight bloody wars. They witnessed atrocities first hand and then had to recenter their psyches to return stateside and reclaim normal, healthy lives. Somehow I have a hard time picturing anyone who gets "triggered" by someone simply using the wrong pronoun having a very healthy amount of emotional elasticity.

Everything above these two on the pyramid are conveniences at best and are not components of one's survival. Understanding email and being able to frag a group of 12 year olds in COD is right up there at the tippy top of the pyramid, basically alongside knowing who won the 1994 World Series or being able to name the last 5 American Idol winners.

You wanna know what my number one issue with my generation and Gen Y is? They lack perspective and are too damn arrogant to even realize it. We live in a world of artificial horseSNIP. Very little in this modern urban world means jack squat on the grand scheme of things. In 1,000 years archeologists aren't going to be at a dig saying "Holy Cow Watson, I've discovered a piece of a bag with GAP written on it!" They're certainly not going to be digging up the greatest inventions and developments of the past 30 years, either, because very few of those are even physically tangible. Computer programs, cell phone operating systems, and memes aren't going to survive antiquity. In fact, at the rate society is going, I doubt the future will find much of interest in mankind from now onward. They're attention will, however, be fixated on the last great generation of mankind because that generation actually created and constructed monuments to humanity which will last. That generation is the generation of those grandparents you arrogantly judge based on their ability and interest in meaningless trivialities and spectacles of a throw away culture.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I wonder if we hadn't increased our population by a million people a year for the last several decades if we would have all these problems?? Somehow I think not.

...and you're pro-immigration why, again?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ravenshadow13
a reply to: Metallicus

Yes however some of us use our brains and work hard and experience upward mobility in terms of skills and our professional networks, but depending on your sector your may still be left hanging with crumbs of income with no hope of paying off loans, saving for a house, retirement, etc.

I have an advanced degree and six years of work experience and I'll tell you right now that when my parents were my age, they did have it on easy street--their advanced degrees were paid for, my dad had a job with a pension, my mom owned a condo...

I mean, forget it. If they get rid of social security for our generation we will be totally screwed because despite my amazing professional reputation I can't have a future making $700 a month and neither can my peers who are in the same boat. Some of them even have more advanced degrees, more experience, and more debt than I do. I'm not talking about Art History majors. I'm talking about environmental lawyers and scientists.

But we should all go, what, develop apps or something right? Or not have finished college and gotten some cushy job through a friend?

No offense, but you sound really young and inexperienced. In everything you talk about....

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Most of the older generation that I interact with are idiots compared to Millennials I've met, and the generation before them even dumber many times, some would call this a 'pattern'. I'm not speaking about simple day-to-day life things like Driving, and Computer use, but critical thinking in general. The idea they aren't just 'bad' at video games for example, but literally incapable, while currently 5 year old absolve enough of their environment to understand a button push relates to another event, feels disgusting to me. Imagine having to explain to someone how to use an elevator every opportunity it's used, and that's roughly how it feels having grandparents with a computer and email.

By your descriptions here, I can only assume you have a really, really low opinion of the intelligence of anyone living in a third world country. You may have to explain to your grandparents how email and a computer work, but aside from keeping up with the Joneses, where does any of that really get you?

1. Physiological... food, shelter, clothing, etc. If Amazon goes down, can you turn raw wool into clothes? If your supermarket experiences a disaster or a shortage, do you possess the knowledge and skills to hunt or trap animals or forage, recognizing the difference between an edible plant and a noxious one? Do you have the skillset required to construct a shelter for yourself out of naturally available materials that will actually keep you dry and warm?
2. Safety... this one is a doozey these days for one simple reason, mental and emotional elasticity. I'll be blunt, my generation seems to be comprised of a large percentage of fragile, wilting emotional basket cases. My grandparents and parents generation were drafted to fight bloody wars. They witnessed atrocities first hand and then had to recenter their psyches to return stateside and reclaim normal, healthy lives. Somehow I have a hard time picturing anyone who gets "triggered" by someone simply using the wrong pronoun having a very healthy amount of emotional elasticity.

Everything above these two on the pyramid are conveniences at best and are not components of one's survival. Understanding email and being able to frag a group of 12 year olds in COD is right up there at the tippy top of the pyramid, basically alongside knowing who won the 1994 World Series or being able to name the last 5 American Idol winners.

You wanna know what my number one issue with my generation and Gen Y is? They lack perspective and are too damn arrogant to even realize it. We live in a world of artificial horseSNIP. Very little in this modern urban world means jack squat on the grand scheme of things. In 1,000 years archeologists aren't going to be at a dig saying "Holy Cow Watson, I've discovered a piece of a bag with GAP written on it!" They're certainly not going to be digging up the greatest inventions and developments of the past 30 years, either, because very few of those are even physically tangible. Computer programs, cell phone operating systems, and memes aren't going to survive antiquity. In fact, at the rate society is going, I doubt the future will find much of interest in mankind from now onward. They're attention will, however, be fixated on the last great generation of mankind because that generation actually created and constructed monuments to humanity which will last. That generation is the generation of those grandparents you arrogantly judge based on their ability and interest in meaningless trivialities and spectacles of a throw away culture.

Well said

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Just got through this whole thread. Wow, we are so #ed.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Only in so much as we artificially prevent the natural consequences of personal choice and survival of the fittest. The day we decided that nobody should be allowed to fall victim to their own arrogance, stupidity, and laziness was a horrible day in the development of humankind, representing a major step backwards and away from a strong population. Eventually we will, as a species, again embrace natural consequences and stop pandering to the lowest common denominator. Then we'll get things back on track.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Yup. It's a waiting game at this point.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

guess what millenials have been fighting a war for 15 years

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Only in so much as we artificially prevent the natural consequences of personal choice and survival of the fittest. The day we decided that nobody should be allowed to fall victim to their own arrogance, stupidity, and laziness was a horrible day in the development of humankind, representing a major step backwards and away from a strong population. Eventually we will, as a species, again embrace natural consequences and stop pandering to the lowest common denominator. Then we'll get things back on track.

sound like a bonafied badass

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join