It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness? Help me think

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Here's some doodling to give you a background on my thoughts.

There are multiple ways of addressing the topic. "Cogito ergo sum" a famous man once said, which is purely philosophical, but not big enough for me, because animals for all we know don't think, but they are.

Simply awareness is that it? No I don't think so, at least for the parts which make us imagine and invent and prove, which sets us apart from animals, it is more. But where do our advances come from?
To some extent it's a build-up, a development, one advancement emerges from the previous. But that still doesn't explain the fabulous minds "taking the next step".

What is inspiration? As it seems to be the most remarkable property of consciousness?
Is there a "universal spirit", like in panpsychism?
What do you think was first, matter? Or consciousness? And what kind of consciousness could it be if it is entirely independent from matter? Is that possible?
At which point is something having consciousness?

Many questions, I know, I am looking forward to read your opinion.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

What is inspiration? As it seems to be the most remarkable property of consciousness?

Inspiration is simply a definition for a chemical cocktail produced in our body that makes our brain react in a way we are consciously aware of.

Is there a "universal spirit", like in panpsychism?

That depends on what your qualifications of containing a spirit is. Atoms make up matter, and matter makes life, so what is alive? The matter or the atom?

What do you think was first, matter? Or consciousness? And what kind of consciousness could it be if it is entirely independent from matter? Is that possible? At which point is something having consciousness?

My personal opinion?

It's a continuation. There never was a start point, nor and end point. There may however be a cataclysmic point in the life cycle of the universe, well ours at least.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I take it you believe that it's possible your consciousness is the sum of the awareness of your atoms?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It's definitely not impossible. Atoms don't die, the things they make up do.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Atoms decay and get torn apart tough....

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
No, they don't. You are thinking of molecules.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

No. It's called radioactivity and atom splitting.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Inspiration is simply a definition for a chemical cocktail produced in our body that makes our brain react in a way we are consciously aware of.

No its more like the brains left hemisphere at the door of the corpus call o sum.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Atom splitting is one thing, atomic decay is another.

Atoms can be split, yes, but atomic decay is molecular.

Atoms don't die though even when split. They remain an atom.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   

What is inspiration?

I can't say definitively, but I can share an experience when "talking" with an ancestor clairvoyantly.

He was an artist in life and was often aboard sailing ships to record through his drawings. After death he "haunts" an Irish manor with a large window view of the huge garden.

He still does his art in the afterlife as he did when alive. There is a "layer of afterlife reality" in that manor that is his studio where he paints.

We didn't really "talk", but when I wondered what he did with his finished paintings in the afterlife. He simply lifted his painting and placed it on my (living) aunt's easil. One way to inspire another.

edit on 22-7-2017 by Whatsthisthen because: added second last paragraph for clarity.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower
And sometimes you see something in a picture that isn't real

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Every time I have asked "The Universe" for something in my time of dire need it has appeared. There are dreams and wishes that I have had since I was a kid that have come true in a "The Secret" way.

I believe that our consciousness somehow has an effect on our surroundings in ways that we don't yet understand.

I'm a believer in Simulation Theory and I think that this could explain the multiverse as being a quantum computer and that our collective consciousness can alter events and our reality within the quantum computer

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

I like that. At the same time it's terrorfying. Did you know that's what Hinduism says? Not in this modern terms, but basically, this world is an illusion and we have to try to look "through/behind" to get a glimpse of reality.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Kalixi

I like that. At the same time it's terrorfying. Did you know that's what Hinduism says? Not in this modern terms, but basically, this world is an illusion and we have to try to look "through/behind" to get a glimpse of reality.

What is appearing does not stay - have you noticed? All that appears is in constant change (transformation) - so that which appears is an illusion.
But that which knows that all is changing never changes - it is 'That' which is not an illusion - 'That' is the true reality.
I am 'That' I am.

What is it that is 'looking'?
Saint Francis said 'We are looking for what is looking'!
edit on 22-7-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

That wouldn't be true if we lived still in ancient times. And I don't believe that it's what it means. For thousands of years, the environment can appear the same. Humans usually don't live that long, so for my direct experience there can be hours during which many things around me remain the same.
Given that we have to take the human perspective as centre of our perceived reality the consciousness aspect varies from individual to individual. You won't find two identical people.
"That" seems to be heavily schizophrenic.

edit on 22-7-2017 by Peeple because: Oops

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

That wouldn't be true if we lived still in ancient times. And I don't believe that it's what it means. For thousands of years, the environment can appear the same.

The image appearing (to you) now is constantly changing. The scene is never the same - but you (the witness) is always the same.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Humans usually don't live that long, so for my direct experience there can be hours during which many things around me remain the same.

Really? Are sounds not arising and subsiding? Or do they stay the same for hours?
Listen and see.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Sometimes there are no sounds. I just disagree. The more important point was "that" is different for every person anyways.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Sometimes there are no sounds. I just disagree.

Really? So no thoughts come and go either? And are you saying that sensation is not changing constantly?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
'I think therefore I am' is not true.
It can be noticed that thought simply happens and then another thought happens which say 'I thought that'. There is no thinker of thoughts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join