It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random thought of the day......Lets Jump!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
So far, it's been a relatively quiet afternoon for me. Which sometimes leads to my mind wandering off, so I apologize in advance for this stupid thought/question.

Suppose for science, we place a light flashing at 3 second intervals, on a really high pole roughly 900' feet high. We place said poles at a distance of maybe half a mile apart, or more depending on line of sight, and get all the lights flashing at the same time. Make a line of these poles from the East Coast to the West Coast. Now every time the lights come on, everyone in view of the light, jumps. Then again when the lights come on, then again, again.....and so on. Now say everyone that is in view of the lights do this, at the same time, over time, could there be any seismic activity? Or do you think it would look like a bunch of idiots jumping up and down?

ETA: That's roughly 6 billion pounds landing on the US at the same time (provided they all jumped the same height). That's if 1/8 of the US population did this for science, and they weighed an average of 150lbs. Seems like a lot of force coming down.

And apparently, i'm not the only one that thought about this....
www.businessinsider.com...

I'm glad its Friday.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

edit on 21-7-2017 by Tekaran because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

Without doubt, they'd all look like idiots.

... and they'd probably register on a seismometer but I don't think it would be enough to trigger a 'quake unless the 'quake was due anyway.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

Or do you think it would look like a bunch of idiots jumping up and down?

I'll stick with that viewpoint, lol.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
........................It's Friday?
Huh.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
If I dug a hole straight through the planet and lined it with something so I didn't get cooked at the core.
What would happen if I jumped into it?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

You'd fall down the hole, then upwards to nearly the height that you started from and likely banging yourself on the sides of the hole as the Earth precessed and you'd continue to oscillate back and forth like that , loosing momentum until eventually you would be trapped somewhere near the centre of the Earth.

You might also find the air pressure (and therefore its temperature) at that depth somewhat uncomfortable. You'd be weightless but crushed and burned.

edit on 23/7/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join