It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does The Gospel of Mark and John both leave out The Sermon and The Lord's Prayer?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
There Sermon of Christ has huge ideas that differs from Judaism.

An eye for an eye vs turn the other cheek
God is Our Father Who Art In Heaven, a Loving and Personal God
We should love enemies like Father gives Sunlight to all

These are huge teaching which makes Christianity stand out and proves that Jesus Christ is The Image of The Invisible Merciful Heavenly Father of Love.

Could it be that both John AND Mark are early Gospels?

Right before Christianity, there were a section of Jews believing in "Children of Light", "Being not of the world", "The Righteous One/Son of Man", "Staying clean and washing self with water for cleanliness and against sins". Some stayed in The Wilderness preaching The Coming of The Kingdom just like John The Baptist.

The Gospel of John does not mention the destruction of The Temple in 70 A.D. and it focuses on The Divinity of Jesus, even "I Am" statements, and seems to be very informed about Jewish belief system. One could even say, it was rotten to testify about Jesus's Divinity so that Jews can be converted and understand that he is not just a man or a prophet but The form of the invisible God (His perfect sinless image).

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lightofgratitude

Much of the bible is obviously fiction. To prove this to yourself, read the bible across not down.

FOr example, take the death of Jesus. Read each of the accounts from the various books. It goes from Jesus just hangin there to a very chatty Jesus. They can't all be right ... and this is much the same for the entire New Testament.

Read across the books, not down.

P

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

What does this have to do with the dating of The Gospel of Mark and John, and the omission of The Sermon and Lord's Prayer? I'm not asking whether or not they are historical. I'm asking about the omission and dating.

edit on 7-19-2017 by lightofgratitude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Possibly due to editing, as a result of the Council of Nicaea in 325.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Mark was the earliest written according to scholars, and John was the last of the gospels...

Though there are plenty of differences in the gospels when read side by side...

Johns gospel is the only one that considers him God... and idea that didn't come about while Jesus was alive

Matthew was written for a Jewish audience... And Luke was a follower of Paul so some of the ideas found within that book are unlike the other synoptic books

Point being, all of the books were written at different times... some have similar stories, some almost identical...

None were written by actual eyewitnesses of his life... perhaps John was because the "beloved disciple" was named, and its generally thought that was John

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

There wasn't any editing at the Council of Nicaea...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

"...as a result of"

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Who was responsible for The Gospel of Thomas being withheld?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

"...as a result of"

huh?

Who was responsible for The Gospel of Thomas being withheld?

the church of course... they did the same with all the gnostic writing (and people)... they destroyed everything they found

thats what happened to Heretics back then... and Arius just so you know

Though that was happening long before 325...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Research the timeline. You have almost answered the question yourself
And no , rarely do I give answers
The best lessons learned are self-taught. Last longer that way.
Peace to you and yours.

ETA - the timeline doesnt necessarily follow chapter to chapter , nor book to book
edit on 7/19/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The Gnostic texts ie. Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Mary etc. probably have the most accurate accounts of Yeshua, his life, and his teachings. The books were banned by the early church as heretical... they undermined the church's control of the masses, and portrayed women as equals in the eye of the Creator.

That was a problem. Judaism preached man's dominion over women... and converting the Jews was far easier if the early church incorporated Judaism.
That is why the Old Testament was included in the original canon.

Many Gnostic texts were lost for centuries (...or buried in Vatican archives), but they deserve serious study. They shine an entirely new light on Christian faith.

I am a cradle Catholic; I believed church dogma for a very long time. One day... I decided to dig deeper. I believe the true Christian message was lost a long time ago; rewritten by men for man's benefit.

Christ taught humility, charity and compassion. Modern "churches" are for profit enterprises hiding behind tax-exempt status. The Vatican is the wealthiest entity on the planet... we could feed the poor, globally, for decades if we liquidated Vatican assets. Think on that... humility? charity? compassion?

Organized religion is not true Christianity... it is thought control, and it has worked for centuries...
edit on 19-7-2017 by madmac5150 because: My ducks made me do it

edit on 19-7-2017 by madmac5150 because: My goats aren't much nicer

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

A) how do those 2 teachings prove the divinity of Jesus??

B) if you are saying the Bible has been manipulated and/or misunderstood, why would the supernatural stuff be what it got right??

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

A great resource is "Asimov's Guide to the Bible."

Should come up on a search of google or your preferred search engine. Comes in a part 1 and a part 2.

Very interesting reading and quite an easy read.

P

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Please tell me how you arrive at that assumption

I have always wondered what would make a person think that the council had anything to do with editing the different manuscripts,
Just why do you believe that???

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

it says it in the Da Vinci Code

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Didnt see that in the movie
Should have read the book, my bad...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: madmac5150

A great resource is "Asimov's Guide to the Bible."

Should come up on a search of google or your preferred search engine. Comes in a part 1 and a part 2.

Very interesting reading and quite an easy read.

P

Thanks

I just started downloading, but I live in such a remote area... my internet is received via moose antlers covered in aluminum foil... and I am still on moose 2.0, which is slow. I should have both texts downloaded by midnight...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I know there are debates about whether or not The Gospel are real, who they were written by, and whether or not they were edited.

My question is why is there no Sermon or Lord's Prayer in Mark or John? These are two things which are huge to Jesus's Teaching.

If John wrote that Jesus is "I AM", Image of The Invisible God, who is Love and sacrificed himself, why not include the Loving Teachings of The Sermon?

Mark paints Jesus as a servant, so many miracles of Compassion and Healing, wouldn't The Sermon be great to have in there also?

I memorized some of The Sayings of Christ such as,

"Blessed Are The Peacemakers For They Shall Be Called The Children of God"

They have really changed my life for the better and inspired me with Love.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightofgratitude
I know there are debates about whether or not The Gospel are real, who they were written by, and whether or not they were edited.

My question is why is there no Sermon or Lord's Prayer in Mark or John? These are two things which are huge to Jesus's Teaching.

If John wrote that Jesus is "I AM", Image of The Invisible God, who is Love and sacrificed himself, why not include the Loving Teachings of The Sermon?

Mark paints Jesus as a servant, so many miracles of Compassion and Healing, wouldn't The Sermon be great to have in there also?

I memorized some of The Sayings of Christ such as,

"Blessed Are The Peacemakers For They Shall Be Called The Children of God"

They have really changed my life for the better and inspired me with Love.

Mark and John refused to pay the licensing rights...

...the Vatican did, and got a HUGE record deal...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Pretty sure i've already explained it...

Different people wrote the books... maybe they never heard of the sermon on the mount...

maybe they didn't think it was necessary to repeat it

Different sects of judeo christian people taught different things...

You know of course there wasn't just one sect in the early years of the church right?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join