It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The News Isn't Fake, But the Spin Sure Is.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I have come to this conclusion after watching the MSM news for the last decade, it just became really obvious in the last year.
Grab a story, any story, and spin it hard with maximum support from paid talking heads, spin the way you want to try and get traction and produce pressure for a specific objective, gain sympathy, cause hate, create pressure, set up narrative and so forth. It is propaganda about news via spin.

The news is real, but the spin is most certainly fake, it is pure propaganda.
This Donald Jr. fiasco illustrates this to me very powerfully.
So now we have come to a time where so much news is spun from a nothing burger into story that people in power need to act on, the general population is prepared to disregard most national news that doesn't fit their world view. Both on the left and right can just say nope "Fake News" to virtually anything they hear that they don't like. This isn't good because when the real truth is discovered or brought out on any matter people are now conditioned to say "so what fake news"

The MSM is responsible for bringing us to this point, with CNN leading the charge, their old segment "The Spin Room" basically could be used today as the moniker SNN.

Some of the same people who used to spin all kinds of negativity towards Ron Paul are at it again, it outs them as deep state operatives paid to spin in whatever directions they are told, the actual news is irrelevant.

I am so tired of news spin that distorts reality, this is horrible for our civilization and for the left and right and everything around them. It is a sword that cut everybody down equally, to our own perpetual ignorance of truth. This will not end well.
edit on 19-7-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

...you're just now waking up to that?!

Whelp, that automatically puts you above 99.9% of the liberal masses who believe otherwise, well to be fair it IS the Liberal News Media.

Enjoy the breath of fresh air
edit on 19-7-2017 by Arnie123 because: Forgot to give you a beer

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
exactly how I feel about fox...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
exactly how I feel about fox...

Fox is the lesser of the "Great Evils"

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Both on the left and right can just say nope "Fake News" to virtually anything they hear that they don't like. This isn't good because when the real truth is discovered or brought out on any matter people are now conditioned to say "so what fake news"

Yes, and to further the point, flat out denial seems to be the go-to. Goes well with fingers in ears but fortunately, it's not bound by any single party.

What is considered news today is far from what anyone meant from writing freedom of press.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
No its Fake too. I learned first with WACO how bad it was. A lot of it is simply engineered towards an agenda which isnt as much political as it is a quest for power.

News is anything but .... its more like adult storytime. People get sucked into it and a major part of the agenda is accomplished regardless of where you stand on the political spectrum.

Closest thing you can get to news these days is probably the weather channel.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: agenda51

Well actual real news events are not fake, for example the event of 9/11 is not fake, it happened, how it got spun after that, that is spin, spin, spin.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Don't worry friend. There will be a time when sensationalism and yellow journalism is unpalatable, and therefore no longer lucrative. People will spend their money and attention elsewhere. The best bet now is to seek honesty, stick to results not speculation, and adhrere to principles over feelings.

As of now I wager that half of the traffic going to CNN, the New York Times, Fox News, and so on, do so to laugh and point at the state of journalism, to see it in its dying decadence. Like all things mediocre, like all fads, it will pass.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

what is that Bait? If you want to look into 911 there is all kinds of stuff out there.

where does it all go? We are in for some scary times once the propaganda stops working. Trumps election was a massive shockwave to TPTB. They have lost the narrative for the majority of the country. Look for some desperate attempts to regain control. Luckily Trump is in office to shield us a bit. I worry about his safety. The last president this bold was not treated well.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I agree. There was a lot of genuine FAKE Trump news during the campaign. But now, it's mostly taking a small insignificant truth, and talking about it for DAYS on end..until that truth is buried by the spun-up lies from "special" guests, with an IQ of a sparrow.
edit on 7/19/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   

You give the media far more credit than they deserve. Sure, they plant the seed and spin like crazy...but they've always done that. It's the people who read or watch that garbage and then spread it around like its factual information who are the real problem. Even those who spread the lies around while ardently protesting them contribute to the problem, because regardless of whether or not people believe it, the message the media is trying so hard to get out there is still reaching its target audience in droves.

People love drama. Period. If it's not something they can get behind, they'll use it to push their own agenda without even thinking twice about it. We see this every single day right here on ATS. Some days, we see the same drivel phrased ten different ways by the same posters, over and over and over...ad nauseum. It's all spin. All of it. It should be just as reprehensible for the masses to do this, but it's simply easier to blame someone else rather than take ownership of the situation and actually make a stand against it.

Take the United States for example; given the enormous population, how many of those citizens are card carrying members of the media? A relative handful. Millions of people exist in this country who are not journalists, reporters, news execs, or in any other way affiliated with any media outlet...yet that small handful are credited with subverting and victimizing all of the rest; controlling the will of otherwise reasoning, intelligent adult human beings with nasty rumors and harsh words?

Sorry, but that's just ridiculous...as well as intellectually lazy. We all have free will for a reason. And in this particular situation, we as a race of people are not reflecting that right now. It's a simple choice. Either buy into the bull# and continue on giving up our power to people who don't deserve to wield it, or refuse to buy into it at all and simply take a stand against relying on these purveyors of fear and hatred to form our opinions for us.

I'm not excusing these liars in the media at all...they are largely despicable, and self serving. But they thrive on the reaction they get, whether it's positive or negative. It's like oxygen to them. But there is a far more significant number of ordinary people out there who thrive on the same thing, and every time they spread this crap around, they're making themselves into a mouthpiece for the very entities they proclaim to be the problem...whether their own intent is positive or negative.

The only way to truly get around the media agenda is to simply cut off their oxygen by refusing to either entertain or waste energy on trying to disprove the lies that they so generously offer up. They only do it because people make it so easy for them.

Now of course, the likelihood of anything like that actually taking place seems pretty low, because as I said earlier, people love drama...so much so that they will go looking for it; and naturally, they'll find it in abundance. I do feel you though...the insanity of the media is astonishing, and it's all about spin. It doesn't matter if the news is real...they'll make it fake by spinning it however serves them best.

They seem to be experiencing some kind of meltdown lately too, so it's starting to become blindingly obvious that they're just making # up left and right...and don't seem to care how ridiculous it sounds anymore. Who knows...maybe they'll just implode and we won't have to worry about them anymore. That would be really cool...like the trash taking itself out. Maybe then people would crawl out of their phone screens long enough to start paying attention to what's really going on and actually care about working together to make it better for everyone.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The news isn't fake, but it's scripted.
Yup. Which is a good reason to be an investigator and formulate your own opinions.

Conan's take:

Of course it's scripted. The people who run the media treat the public like one big mass of idiots....and well...are they wrong?
When Bernays taught companies how to influence the masses, he brainwashed them. That was 80 years ago.

Imagine now.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
what's become apparent is the very low education levels america has.
a government blaming the media for their own failing is down to the public accepting it.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

The people who run the media treat the public like one big mass of idiots....and well...are they wrong?

I think Forest can answer that.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

This could be the most important OP of the summer. You are absolutely correct. There is "news" out there but whether its Fox or CNN, its spun up into propaganda and daily hurled at viewers. You know the worst part of this? They are creating false reality and the koolaide drinkers on either side are drinking it up in massive sums. And its vitriolic and therefore contributes to this awesome hostile divide.

Its also caused a situation that leaves no room for civilized discourse. Bring up a topic and a "believer" will rant on for hours regurgitating Wolf Blitzer's or Hannity's talking points. The spin has sucked all the air out of the room.

And worse, its all around us; TV's in bars, restaurants, air ports..........its like Big Brother propaganda being blared out everywhere.

I honestly dont know how much worse it can get. But for the moment, the only news I watch is "One America News Network". And guess what, there are OTHER things happening in the world besides Trump/Russia.....Russia/Trump!

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

First, very well and thoughtfully said. I would like permission to print this and put it on my wall. (my mother-in-law is coming to visit and all she talks is Hannity talking points--I stay mostly in the backyard)).

Second

But they thrive on the reaction they get, whether it's positive or negative. It's like oxygen to them. But there is a far more significant number of ordinary people out there who thrive on the same thing, and every time they spread this crap around, they're making themselves into a mouthpiece for the very entities they proclaim to be the problem...whether their own intent is positive or negative.

George Noory uses a term for people like this, I think its "Psycic Vampires", or something like that. He points out that they are very corrosive to be around. Thats why my TV is turned off!

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

I actually agree with everything you've said. Bravo.

What I find unabashedly ironic though, is that this thread exists on a forum in which quite a few posters (yourself not being one of them) actually cite sources like Alex Jones as credible, who is PROVEN to be actually fake time and time again, yet vilify "FAKE NEWS" simply to push their affiliations.

edit on 20-7-2017 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

The biggest spin going on right now is coming from those of you who are constantly trying to "spin" the truth into a "nothing burger."

I wonder if you'll still be calling it a nothing burger when juries start handing out convictions?

Michael Flynn isn't begging for immunity because of his overwhelming innocence and when the reality of the situation begins to penetrate the hard, crusty, mantel of stupidity that encases the Trump brain, there will be others.

Donald Jr's planning, scheduling, and attending the meeting to solicit dirt on Hillary, from what now appears to be damn near every Russian agent who was in New York at the time, is not a "nothing burger."

Manafort & Kushner's attendance at that meeting, with the same goal in mind, only makes it worse.

Then we have the republican platform being altered at convention to favor Russian interest in the Ukraine, followed by Jeff Sessions recent and unexpected $6 million settlement in the $230 million Prevezon Holdings money laundering suit, followed by Trump's recent decision to end the CIA effort to arm Syrian rebels, to the delight of both Putin & Assad, etc., etc..

I've got some news for you, just one of your so-called "nothing burgers" has enough meat in it to keep Popeye's friend Wimpy, fat for life.

The "no spin" truth is; We currently have the most incompetent POTUS in American history, accompanied by the most incompetent presidential staff in American history, supported by the most gullible electorate in American history, who think they can get the rest of us to follow them down the path of willful ignorance to the point of absolute stupidity.

Ain't gonna happen!

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I can even admit that I am an idiot for falling for the MSM fake news and scripted bullship years ago. It's just too easy to listen to what the TV says and buy into it.

Which is exactly what they want you to do.

In my opinion our best, and only, hope is to rid ourselves of these mega-corporate media tycoons and start from scratch.
Wishful thinking.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: agenda51
Closest thing you can get to news these days is probably the weather channel.

Sorry but that gets a good spin too with the old hottest/coldest/wettest days so far this year or on record (which is only a couple of 100 years). Plus this is supplied by a central agency and distributed across the channels just like the reports on the news. In the UK its the met office and local news agencies just copy and paste and repeat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join