It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Agency Told Grandfather He’d Have to Give Up Gun Rights to Foster His Grandson

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ericendtimes
a reply to: seasonal

I was suggesting some form of gun safe or locked room so grandson has no access. Would never store my firearms under someone else's care. Great point you brought up.

The only inoculation against kids doing stupid s**t with guns is education and training. Likely many folks here have seen the videos of kids left i a room with an unloaded pistol. The kids from homes with firearms won't even touch the gun... and tell the kids from non-gun homes they should put it down.

Kids in the inner city... it's a whole other ball of cheddar. They are growing up in a culture (sub-culture) where "thug life" and being gangsta is venerated as something to strive for. Entirely different discussion, that.

Guns behind locks or locked doors become an object of fascination. One day... they ARE going to get in there. Age appropriate education and training... the only way to go... regardless of what you do after.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I think it should be a prerequisite to work for any type of governmental child protection agency that you have children of your own. These people are more concerned with their political agenda than the welfare of the children. It is truly sickening. The state wields such awesome power over every aspect of our lives that enough is enough.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Its Michigan... There social service people are insane.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
these type of events are the reason things like WACO happen.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

The CPS dont decide if there will be a struggle. The family has a right to a day in court.

This is apples to clams. The mans gun rights have no bearing in his ability to care for this kid.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Funny. You try to compare a guy who by all appearances is the picture of a legal firearms owner to street violence in Chicago, where by it's very nature is committed by violent criminals.

This is why people like you don't get to have the discussion you want so desperately to have. You substitute narratives and talking points you found on Cracked.com rather than use any sort of actual fact, statistical data, rational thought, or critical thinking. And those of us who aren't terrified of guns get tired of your silly behavior.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

The CPS dont decide if there will be a struggle. The family has a right to a day in court.

This is apples to clams. The mans gun rights have no bearing in his ability to care for this kid.

Personally, I think Michigan should just include gun safety education in the 12 hours of training they mandate for foster parents, if they are concerned.

However -- and I doubt many will like hearing this -- the state of Michigan is actually the legal custodian of the child, not the grandfather. So, the state is charged with all the decision-making power with regard to children in their care. If they don't want to place children who are in their care in homes with gun owners, I imagine they do have that legal right.

I'm not sure that the grandfather has any legal rights to the child, although social workers usually try to place foster children with family members, if possible.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Ridiculous. This cannot be done, if the state supreme court doesnt beat this down, the Supreme Court of the USA will shut this down.

These folks are extremely ignorant of the second...odd too as Michigan is kinda the grandaddy of all militias.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: agenda51

these type of events are the reason things like WACO happen.

You have to explain just a bit on that one.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: dasman888

I was very lucky to have a father that at a young age I was able to learn firearm responsibility. Wife & I live in very remote area & gun racks on the wall are full.If a young relative needed to stay with me I would have to rethink my thought process.You are 100% correct that education is the way to go.I hope the grand father is up to it.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I would register my firearms and prove they were locked up in an instant if it came to that.
As for the judge saying the gentleman would need to give up some constitutional rights? Show us the transcripts.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I would be surprised if the state of mich can nullify constitutional rights to take a child in. I wonder if we will hear anything more out of this. Or will it fade into the paid off with a gag order?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
And on the same day Chicago?

Just saying as you Muricans tend to highlight how many people get shot per day per city etc...

Prove me wrong.

Warmest

Lags

Maybe they should make committing crimes illegal.

Because that would sure stop people!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

its this narrative that lawful gun owners should be penalized or restricted with no evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever. The "demonization" of gun ownership if you will.... which in the end is just a demonization of a lawful right.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
They can just as easily say that they will allow him custody if he only votes for a specific party.

I mean, as long as they are abusing his rights. . . . .

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: agenda51

Liberals want to pick and choose what rights everyone should have. This stinks of fascism.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

of course. We have seen this again and again.

those who dont know what i am talking about might want to look into what actually happened at places like WACO and ruby ridge among many others.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
A state employee, while working in that official capacity, cannot remove the protections guaranteed by the supreme law of the country, the United States Constitution. Period, that is fact.

The Constitution protects rights that are inherent AT BIRTH. It does not, as many erroneously think, give rights. Neither does the government (state or federal). The SCOTUS is the only body in the country that decides whether something is constitutionally sound. By default, it is unconstitutional unless allowed by a SCOTUS review and decision.

That goes for each and every protection listed in the Constitution.

This state agency is wiping their collective backsides with our Constitution in this case. I hope it is fought to the top if necessary. In the meantime, the one that suffers most is the child.

edit on 7/19/2017 by Krakatoa because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Isent this the same state that has a city with lead in the water ... the same place where they are forceing people to pay for potable water they can not drink ...

yea good luck with that ... its kinda hard to scream its for the children as u posion them

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

"All I have is this cheap-o six shooter, MDHHS. Of course I'll give this up to get custody of my grandson."
*walking out door with grandson* "Grampa, you just bought that for $40 at a pawn shop this morning."
Grampa: "Shut up and keep walking"

problem solved. I don't understand people drawing attention to themselves where firearms are concerned. A simple "Nope, sold those some time back, next question." really simplifies things in these ridiculously Unconstituttional situations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join