It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Sheriff’s Office wants family to pay $314K to look for public records

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I am jaded.

You know why?

Because in these situations, the only person NOT being looked after is the victim and their family. There should be no need for any of this. This sort of obstruction should be grounds for the same day dismissal of everyone involved with it, with no lawyers or judges involved. I get jaded whenever ANYONE is denied SWIFT application of justice by way of the law.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It makes sense that if a local law enforcement agency is drawing ranks, you call someone who automatically and without any question, can pull rank on the entire agency itself,

You mean like calling FDLE, the Florida statewide law enforcement agency that's responsible for investigation of local police agencies? Somebody like that?

You suggested arbitrarily arresting over three thousand people because somebody is being an asshat about a public records request.

That's idiotic.

link   
I've got to remember this.

Next traffic stop, "License and registration, please." "OK, but I'm going to have to charge you a $10k wallet opening fee. Cash only, please."

"Do you mind if I check you for weapons, for my safety?" "It'll cost you $300k for everything above the waist and an extra $400k for the groin area."

"We have a warrant to search your premises ..." "There will be a $500k door opening charge. With taxes, fees, and licensing that comes to $850k."

link   

originally posted by: notsure1
a reply to: Shamrock6

I call this a hyperbolic star farming comment.

Lol funny coming from a cop.

Hey look who's being irrelevant again.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I think you may find you're jumping the gun a bit. Is what that sheriff's department doing wrong and possibly illegal yes. Do I think they're going to get away with doing it...not likely. If it does turn out that the state doesn't defend them I am all for going up the chain...but there is a reason there is a chain in the first place and I seriously don't want feds getting into state issues except as a last resort because it sets a bad precedent...statesrights are an important fundamental our nation is built upon.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Hyperbolic star farming comment incoming.

I like turtles.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Boy are they going to get sued big-time. I would just tack $600,000 on my lawsuit amount.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: iWontGiveUP

Three paragraphs. Give the source credit.

Cheers!

P.S. Excellent find!!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Three paragraphs. Give the source credit.

Cheers!

P.S. Excellent find!!

Thank you once again!

🤘

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

So, what are they hiding in his records? No way it costs that much to release the records for ONE officer. No way they fill a "small bedroom", either, unless he's been doing a lot of very bad things!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Well said - perhaps crowdfunding the $314 k and the participants get a piece of the settlement would be the way to go??

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Its not a justice system if only the rich have access. Taxes pay for enough crap that they can cover the cost of providing "justice".

This is messed up. If they dont want the family to use the legal system then let the family run over the sheriff.

A hit on him would be cheaper.

edit on 7 19 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Well, that will be an educational experience, won't it.

Your police force contains an asshat? Well, better make sure the dude gets fired before he causes all members of his force to suffer an inconvenience then, hadn't they.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Thankfully your idiotic suggestion won't be put into play though so I mean....yay for more hyperbole.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Oh yes, God forbid a police force be incentivised to eject total bastards from its ranks, lest their presence become a problem later on. I mean, why ought a police force be expected to remove reckless and dangerous people from its ranks anyway? Why not just carry on, keeping the simply inept, and the criminally reckless, not to mention the outright sociopaths who give the rest a bad name, working in uniform and threatening the reputation of the forces they are in, not to mention the lives and limb of citizens?

Who cares right?

If ALL forces, and ALL departments had the right attitude to these sorts of incidents, THEN suggesting the Feds be bought in to mess with the entire department, would be unreasonable. However, the fact that we ever hear about things like this occurring, means that no, it is not unreasonable. Things that should never happen, are happening, and drastic and unpleasant measures need taking, until these things stop happening entirely, ANYWHERE.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Spare me the diatribe, wordy.

Apparently unlike you, I'm not a fan of arbitrary arrest of anybody. It's nice to see how quickly you'll rush to throw civil rights out the window when it suits you to do so, though.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Very clever.

Does not wash though. The department itself is obstructing justice, which means that everyone in it needs to be investigated, to ensure that the blue wall crumbles, and the truth come out. If that means the entire department needs rounding up and interrogating, then thats too damned bad, but irrelevant and utterly justifiable, given the crime which is being committed by the department, and given the seriousness of the incident they are trying to bury by their obstruction.

The only civil rights being violated here, are those of the family of the dead man. I notice you seem to give not a fig about that. Your bias toward your fellows has blinded you. If you understood your role properly, perhaps you would have a more citizen centered understanding of this situation. To put it simply, if you are a policeman, you are supposed to serve the people by ensuring that the law is enforced. If you fail to do that, or lend even the slightest support to those who break it, you are not performing that role, are part of the problem, not its solution.

If police want to be respected, they must stop locking shoulders and permitting events like these to occur, or suffer the infamy that results from improper conduct on the part of any one of them.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

It washes just fine, you just don't like that you've been called out for it. Again, spare me the diatribe.

The fact remains that not only did you propose mass arrests to "encourage the others," but you've gone to great lengths to defend the concept of doing so. Doing so is a blatant violation of countless civil rights of countless people, but that's okay in your mind because it'll somehow "encourage the others." Pretending that arresting dozens, hundreds, or thousands of people who have absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand isn't somehow a violation of multiple civil rights is utterly stupid.

Pol Pot, Stalin, and other mental midgets would be proud.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
I call this a hyperbolic star farming comment.

FDLE has some very, very good investigators. Part of their job is investigating police and public official misconduct. Seems like a slightly more natural starting point than your nuclear option.

Seems people forget that going ape feces ends up costing you more money since the police are paid by your local property taxes. Punish the stupid people and leave the taxpayers out of it as much as possible.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But muh pour encourager les autres

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join