It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey museum finds cases of wine nearly as old as the United States

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
www.nwfdailynews.com...

A restoration project at a New Jersey museum unearthed cases of wine nearly as old as the United States.

The Liberty Hall Museum in Union says it discovered almost three full cases of Madeira wine, a fortified wine, dating to 1796 while restoring its wine cellar. NJ.com (http://(link tracking not allowed)/2sHP4uh ) reports the museum also found 42 demijohns — large glass jugs sometimes used for holding spirits — dating to the 1820s.

The museum said the monetary value of the wine cannot be made public.

The original 13 colonies imported about 95 percent of the wine produced on the Portuguese archipelago of Madeira, according to historical accounts. Bill Schroh, Liberty Hall’s director of operations, said Madeira was the best wine to ship during the 18th century because it almost never spoils — even centuries later if stored properly.

How's that for a bit of History? Any wine fans out there, I'll bet there's quite a few. But the bottles must be worth a bundle.
edit on 19-7-2017 by blackadder01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: blackadder01

Bottles of sediment probably, valued more for their age and label than to drink.

Who wants alcohol you can't drink?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
OH believe me, I have seen with my own two eyes those who would have chosen a bottle of lysol to a nice glass of edible wine. There will be buyers I can guarantee you that.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

There will be buyers I can guarantee you that.

They have to launder their ill gotten gain somewhere.

Wealthy elite need more tax shelters
edit on 19-7-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A bottle of Clique Cuvée from 1888 was valued as priceless, so these bottles can be expected to fetch an astronomical price and give a nice boost to the museum's coffers. As for the Demijohns, if some provenance can be established regarding their origin, then they also may be of considerable value.

Just take a look at this
www.wine-searcher.com...
edit on 19-7-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

Add to that the fact that they are likely original property of a signatory to the Constitution and you have ŵhat we in England would call a "nice little earner".
edit on 19-7-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

That will be where it will all end up, in some wealthy aristocrats basement for another 50 years or so. When you're that rich you begin running out of things to brag about.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackadder01

That will be where it will all end up, in some wealthy aristocrats basement for another 50 years or so. When you're that rich you begin running out of things to brag about.

My personal opinion, they didn't 'discover lost wine' either. They knew it was there, decided to sell it off...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Their value will be sky high after this find. I don't know if all of them will end up in a museum but my bet is that someone with unlimited funds will leave them a couple and fund the museum then swipe the rest for themselves.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Bottles of sediment probably, valued more for their age and label than to drink.

Don't be so sure:

Liberty Hall President John Kean said he sampled the wine. He compared it to a sweet sherry.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

kept upright and in the dark, quite the deal.

age and label would be a bonus.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Don't be so sure:

Liberty Hall President John Kean said he sampled the wine. He compared it to a sweet sherry.

If that is true then the value of that particular bottle has just massively decreased.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

On their sides. Upright and the corks dry out and you get too much ullage.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

originally posted by: Liquesence

Don't be so sure:

If that is true then the value of that particular bottle has just massively decreased.

Well, of course.

I would have done the same, you better well believe.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

On their sides. Upright and the corks dry out and you get too much ullage.

Damn I knew I had it either right or wrong. never trust me with your ancient wines !!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Damn I knew I had it either right or wrong. never trust me with your ancient wines !!

No worries. You're from the bottom of the planet so your up is actually down.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No worries. You're from the bottom of the planet so your up is actually down.

Was asked once by a group of fellas how I was, as we waited for a train. I said "getting there" and one said "Stand on yer head, you'll get there faster!"

He may have been on to something.

yes, wine was involved.. well on my part at least.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It may have been done before it was realised what the bottle actually was, which is excusable. I have a love and understanding of wine, actual wine experts are very few and far between as it takes a lifetime of dedication to achieve actual wine expert status. Even with my limited knowledge, I know that you never open a bottle of with a vintage over five years without first establishing its providence.

a reply to: Liquesence

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Very cool find! Its a pity some people cannot appreciate this for the history it is...I had no idea we were importing wine from a Portuguese archipelago!

Cool find, thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Very cool find! Its a pity some people cannot appreciate this for the history it is...I had no idea we were importing wine from a Portuguese archipelago!

Cool find, thanks

Just another gift us Brits gave the US. You're welcome

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Madeira is a fortified wine that is cooked, or gradually heated. This makes it practically indestructible. Which is good if you want to keep it in your cupboard for a few months.

I just looked up what a 1975 vintage bottle of Medeira costs, and it was $200.00.

These will be very much sought after.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join