It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to relese 20 million sterile mosquitos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

What about the non-sterile ones, not from the lab?

The non-sterile ones are out there right now breeding every day, making millions of disease carrying mosquitoes to suck blood and transmit blood-borne diseases.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I just don't think these 'smart' people have taken their studies far enough.

What would be the point where you would be convinced in their studies that they have gone far enough?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ineilio

I just don't think these 'smart' people have taken their studies far enough.

What would be the point where you would be convinced in their studies that they have gone far enough?

Let's wait and see the results.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

What about the non-sterile ones, not from the lab?

The non-sterile ones are out there right now breeding every day, making millions of disease carrying mosquitoes to suck blood and transmit blood-borne diseases.

Right, so we need some mathematicians to join us and figure out what sterility success 20,000 non-sterile male mosquitoes with a virus that can attack many species and perhaps find it's way to us. What is the total population that these 20,000 males are being introduced to...anyone know?
edit on 17CDT07America/Chicago00470731 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Right, so we need some mathematicians to join us and figure out what sterility success 20,000 non-sterile male mosquitoes with a virus that can attack many species and perhaps find it's way to us. What is the total population that these 20,000 males are being introduced to...anyone know?

I'm no mathematician, but I can pretend to be one if I google long enough. 435 males per square mile (170 males per kM2) per week seemed to be enough for the screw-worm.

Following preliminary observations, screw-worm flies sterilized by exposure to gamma-radiation in the pupal stage were released over the entire area of the island at the average rate of 435 males per square mile (170 males per kM2) per week. In 8 weeks the percentage of sterile eggmasses found on wounded goats increased from 66% to 100%, and no egg-masses were found after the 13th week.

Prospects for Vector Control through Sterilization Procedures

As a late note - this study was published in 1963 and so far, to my knowledge, I haven't heard of any zombie screw-worms taking over the island and making life hell for the locals. In fact, the screw-worm is still eradicated to this day.
edit on 18-7-2017 by Ineilio because: Added a late note.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Ineilio

Yes, but we are talking screw worms and mosquitoes...could be the same as apples and oranges.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Yes, but we are talking screw worms and mosquitoes...could be the same as apples and oranges.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Could be, but it could also be golden delicious and granny smith. If you have evidence to the contrary I'm happy to look at it. 500, 600?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

¯_(ツ)_/¯ Could be, but it could also be golden delicious and granny smith. If you have evidence to the contrary I'm happy to look at it. 500, 600?

Same here.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Damn google, you scary.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
Damn google, you scary.

Billionares unchecked.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Czulkang

Hmm... the pure hatred of mosquitos in my heart makes me cheer...

But my sci-fi brain makes me remember that mother nature doesn't like being tampered with...

I guess if the Wolbachia makes them sterile... that's good... hope they are right because according to this study... it can lead to pesticide resistance... which means we could be making super mosquitos.

In the common house mosquito, higher levels of Wolbachia were correlated with more insecticide resistance

High Wolbachia density in INSECTICIDE-RESISTANT mosquitoes

edit on 18-7-2017 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

Hmm... the pure hatred of mosquitos in my heart makes me cheer...

But my sci-fi brain makes me remember that mother nature doesn't like being tampered with...

I guess if the Wolbachia makes them sterile... that's good... hope they are write because according to this study... it can lead to pesticide resistance... which means we could be making super mosquitos.

In the common house mosquito, higher levels of Wolbachia were correlated with more insecticide resistance

High Wolbachia density in INSECTICIDE-RESISTANT mosquitoes

More and more super-bugs, plus the proliferation of that virus into the environment.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

with releasing 20 million sterile mosquitoes, with the millions that are already out there. me thinks more people will be singing,

There's a skeeter on my peter
knock it off!
knock it off!
There's a dozen on my cousin
I can hear the bastard buzzin'
knock it off!😈😈😈

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Seems reasonable..stupid would be the typical spray the sh@t out of everything and in turn killing more bee's.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Seems reasonable..stupid would be the typical spray the sh@t out of everything and in turn killing more bee's.

And, as I have been experiencing for the past 30 years, that scientists don't look to how it affects our environment.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

And, as I have been experiencing for the past 30 years, that scientists don't look to how it affects our environment.

Or perchance, this is an attempt to find an alternate way...

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Or perchance, this is an attempt to find an alternate way...

Per chance?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

In general I agree, many times they have interfered with the order of thing's/nature, via introducing foreign species as an example..and caused way more havoc.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: InTheLight

In general I agree, many times they have interfered with the order of thing's/nature, via introducing foreign species as an example..and caused way more havoc.

We are playing God without knowing the end game.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
What if the female Mosquitos are bangin more than one guy ? Kinda throws that one out the window no ? Is there a female mosquito honour code or something. With that life span I think they'd be out to bang anything with wings

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join