It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Requesting information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I am slow writing a sci-fi book about a space-based race of humans in the 37th century (Earth One time).

I'm not sure if this is the right area for this post so if it isn't, please redirect me and I'll be happy to be more in tune with the rules. Thanks.

I have a very basic description of over 50 friendly ships and I am now working on rooms and master deck plans. In short, I am seeking a master list of every room (not every room will be on every ship) and a master list of master deck floors (again, not every deck floor will be on every ship).

Coins (living quarters, see what I did there?) will take up a majority of decks on Bunker ships. The enlisted ranks will sleep 4, 6 or 8 to a coin. These rooms are called nickels (prisoners live in very tiny pennies). Nickels do not have running water or dining area. Deputy ranks (Officers) sleep in dimes that house 2 packers. Typically, they will work opposite shifts for more privacy. Dimes have a toilet and sink. They eat in the officer's hall.

Quarters are for those among the Council ranks (Council of War). They have a private room about the size of a typical studio apartment.

The See live in coins called halves or a half. These are mostly special forces and politicians.

The highest ranks are the Lord ranks. There are 5 different types of Lords and each Lord's coin is substantially larger then the rank before. The highest ranking Lord lives in a 5,000 sq ft coin. That's a massive house on Earth One. Can you imagine what a coin that size would be like in space?

Impulse engines take up one deck.
Cruising engines take up 1-3 decks.
Warp engines take 2-3 decks and ships with super warp capability (100+ times the speed of light) take up 5 full decks, plus the 3 decks for cruising and the 1 deck for impulse engines.

Life support is one deck.
Shield generator is one deck.
Artificial gravity is one deck.
Cargo and weapons together will take up a deck.
Water generator and storage is a deck.
Paste is a food and drink substitute for the enlisted pack. It's half a deck. Enlisted makes up most of a ships population.
Synthetic food and synthetic water (eaten, not drank) for the deputy pack. It take up the other half of the deck.
Council ranks and above have 4-5 decks for real fruit, real vegetables, meat from livestock, meat from aquatics and water more pure then any found on Earth One.

Clearly, the higher ranking packs make decisions for everyone else and for themselves. The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

Lower ranks have bathrooms.

All ships will have a bridge which is generally one small deck.

Larger ships will have a smaller emergency bridge. In the main bridge, they will have an office for the ship leader, a meeting room to discuss highly top secret intel, a small bathroom and a small galley.

Capital and Galaxy class ships will also have a separate bridge that specialize in commanding multiple ships at once.

You get the idea. Is there a website anyone knows of that will give me a shopping list of ideas for rooms and decks?

Thanks for your help.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Genfinity

Nicely thought out.
I don't know of any websites that can help you but there was, a looooong time ago, a Dungeons and Dragons game module that had explorers find a crashed space ship, the decks were normal living and working spaces but most of the action took place in the maintenance areas between decks, with mutated monsters, chemical leaks etc...
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
You might consider that, privacy and personal space become much more important to psychological well-being, sanity even in an enclosed environment.

Also, that in a closed environment such as a spacecraft, hierarchical structures can be contrary to the safety and security of the ship; especially if said structure is not a product of universal consent.

When all that separates crew from death in the cold and dark of space is a hull, anyone with who can puncture that hull has the same power over life and death as those at the "top of the pyramid".

new topics

join