It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will Jesus return, according to the NT?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Nope, I'm done.

Congratulations you are the one person in the history of Christianity to correctly interpret New Testament Prophecy.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Josephus

Nope, I'm done.

Congratulations you are the one person in the history of Christianity to correctly interpret New Testament Prophecy.

I'm not stuck in the past, refusing to learn anything new.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: DISRAELI

Your suggestion completely undermines the idea that the "day" is sudden and unexpected, which is the key point being made in these references.
Paul's normal usage of "day" is more specific;

Its simpler than that. Everyone has their day of judgement when they pass.

(life flashes before eyes)

Edit: For many the day of passing (dying) is sudden and unexpected. As in not knowing the hour or the day thereof?

Frankly, I think both can be true.

Scripture is multi-layered. Events often echo each other or repeat. There is nothing new under the sun. Just as Abraham and Isaac were a foreshadowing of God and Christ, then what happens when He comes at the end of your life is like what will happen at the End of Days. There are even some interpretations that suggest when He comes for you at the end of your life may be when He comes for all at the End of Days as your soul has been sleeping until then.

Therefore, it is incumbent upon us to watch and be ready at all times. To be one of the wise virgins instead of numbered with the foolish because we never know when the bridegroom will call.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

a reply to: Josephus

This is by far the best film on the timing of the rapture.

Aside from the rapture being even more bullpuckey than what's in the bible, why are you conflating it with the second coming?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Frankly, I think both can be true.

One happens all the time, is proven. The other has never happened, except as I described at bottom of previous page.

Thanks for letting me vet an alternative to the main stream religion view.
edit on 16-7-2017 by intrptr because: added quote

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Well, it would be hard to prove an end times until it occurs. And once such a thing occurs, it won't really matter to us anymore.

The point of prophecy, especially unfulfilled prophecy, is that it's a prediction of what will occur. Christ will come back.

The prophecy in Revelation is very specific that He will set foot on earth on the Mount of Olives. There are other similarly specific passages.

But you are also correct in that there is no doubt that all of us will have our own personal end of days too.
edit on 16-7-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Josephus

That is one of the better ones .

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: polyath

In the New Testament, specifically in the Book of Revelation, we are told that Jesus will come back when least expected, "like a thief in the night." So what does this really mean?

It simply means that it will happened unexpected/suddenly "like a thief in the night". In Matthew we read :

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

and

43“But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into. 44“For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.

Therefore, Jesus may come back tomorrow, next month, next year or 100 years from now. So what does this mean for you and me? Always be ready for the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Peace

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Respectfully? I think He's late.....but I believe He will "just appear" in a sudden moment

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, it would be hard to prove an end times until it occurs. And once such a thing occurs, it won't really matter to us anymore.

End tens for the current establishment. The Nazi regime ended, the Japanese empire ended. They had their end times, their way of life, their regime, beliefs infrastructure, ended. Millions died.

The end.

It will happen to the current regime too. The rest of the world will go on living though.

The point of prophecy, especially unfulfilled prophecy, is that it's a prediction of what will occur. Christ will come back.

Its not true if it hasn't happened. What is happening is the truth.

To add to what you said earlier, not only does every single person die and face judgment, but tens of thousands die every day all over the whole world.

For most if them it happens suddenly, in the blink of an eye, unexpectedly, like a thief in the night, and everywhere, in great multitudes.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
They never said.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: polyath
In the New Testament, specifically in the Book of Revelation, we are told that Jesus will come back when least expected, "like a thief in the night." So what does this really mean?

While most people seem to interpret this to refer to Jesus appearing to everyone, could it not have a more individualistic interpretation? Perhaps it means that Jesus will appear to people upon their deaths.
That means you're in a heap of trouble...Those waiting and looking for Jesus' return will not be surprised as when a thief comes in the middle of the night...

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

So all those OT prophecies were lies? Or are they not lies because they were fulfilled? A prophecy is a lie until it is fulfilled?

Since this prophecy is about the end of the world, end of days ... we know, even scientifically speaking that it is true. The world will end. The sun will become a red giant and swallow the earth in fire which is exactly how the NT prophecies predict.

Is that the final fulfillment or is there a more direct supernatural element? Believers say the latter, but you cannot say the prophecy is not true since even modern science agrees it will eventually be fulfilled.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

In regards to human knowledge of history and evolution, religion is corrupt thievery

That really wasn't the whole point of this post. If you have an agenda, you should create a new post instead of derailing this one.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I have a question. Supposedly when he left he stopped and said, I am leaving now, but I will be back.

Where did he go that it takes thousands of years to go there and then return?

My post is questioning the notion of any set time period. I'm asking, rather, if he comes back at the time of a person's death.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

It reiterates the doctrine espoused by Jesus in Matthew 24 (I believe) and elsewhere; that the day and the hour are not known but that the time and the season can be recognized.

That- I believe - is consistent with death.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iscool

originally posted by: polyath

While most people seem to interpret this to refer to Jesus appearing to everyone, could it not have a more individualistic interpretation? Perhaps it means that Jesus will appear to people upon their deaths.
That means you're in a heap of trouble...Those waiting and looking for Jesus' return will not be surprised as when a thief comes in the middle of the night...

I'm not sure that means I'm in a heap of trouble. I try to be a good person - though not for any religious reasons. It just seems to me that the NT is talking about the time of death. Well, the whole process of dying and death.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

My understanding is that all of the human race will see Him as the Word Of God as He returns to the terrestrial realm.
Naturally all of the righteous dead will see him because they come with Him. But this also includes the unrighteous dead who are in Sheol as well as all of the living people who are alive at this time.

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

They that pierced Him are in Sheol [hell] now, so by that I assume the unrighteous dead will see Him in His return to govern the world. But also when this time comes it is not the final day nor the final judgment. After the return of the Christ, there will be another one thousand years of His government and then the end will come.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So all those OT prophecies were lies? Or are they not lies because they were fulfilled? A prophecy is a lie until it is fulfilled?

Since this prophecy is about the end of the world, end of days ... we know, even scientifically speaking that it is true. The world will end. The sun will become a red giant and swallow the earth in fire which is exactly how the NT prophecies predict.

Is that the final fulfillment or is there a more direct supernatural element? Believers say the latter, but you cannot say the prophecy is not true since even modern science agrees it will eventually be fulfilled.

Perhaps I'm a bit out there with my thinking on this, but I believe "end of the world" can refer to a more personal event. Does the world not end (for you, at least) when you die? What if reality is created by the observer? When the observer dies, wouldn't that be the world ending?

I'm not sure where my own thoughts lie on the issue, but I do find notions such as consciousness creating reality, et al. to be interesting.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Seede

Could those who pierced him be not simply those roman soldiers who poked him with spears, but anyone who has denied him?

Perhaps it is saying that I - as an atheist - will see Jesus at the time of my death.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join