It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't throw out those radish greens!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
This is the time of year for a lot where we’re picking radish from our gardens.

DON’T throw out the greens. They’re soooo good and good for you.

Steam them, sauté, lots of recipes online but honestly they’re just the best and so good for you!

So, no giving them to the rabbits or chickens or dust bin!

EAT UP!

Great radish greens recipes here!

This evening I had mine steamed, and when tender I added fresh garlic, olive oil and salt to taste.

Heaven!
edit on 1405Thursday201713 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Sounds delicious ... and I'm sure you could toss in a few diced radishes for that extra crunch and flavour.

I love radishes and actually make radish sandwiches. I've never really thought about the greens much though , but I feel
inspired to try and do something now. Might throw a little onion into the sauté.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Carrot greens are good in a dish. Most people toss them away.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Beet greens too.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I do the same with celery leaves. In a soup it's awesome. especially in winter, celery and garlic soup..

And the stalk of a cauliflower when thinly sliced is almost as good as water chestnut slices in a stir fry.

So many people waste so much edible food, it's a good thing to grow up poor, lol learn how to make do. Pumpkin seeds, I've worked out, are just as good as sunflower seeds. I can't find sunflower seeds any more, not hulled ones anyway.

I'm hungry now !!

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The radish seed pods are really good. The greens from radishes never seemed very appealing to me, although I like beer greens, turnip greens....

www.gardenbetty.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Also keep carrot greens and beetroot leaves: they are added ingredients into those expensive/fancy prepackaged salads

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I agree they're great but then I don't think I've met a green I didn't like with a bit of garlic, fat and a splash of vinegar. Yum!

But don't go depriving the bunnies or chickens of their treats. We can share. My daughter planted a row of greens for her neighbors' chickens.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Thanks for the tip. I bet theyd be great with a touch of bacon. Love some southern cooking. Yeah, not as healthy I know but you still get your greens.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   

My wife boils them just a bit adds an egg and blends them to puree and add salt. Eat that with boiled potatoes. Good for woman figure and man doing lots of sport in the summer(ofc. man should eat double portion).

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
I like beer greens, ....

Beer greens? Where would I procure this?

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I tried my luck this year growing some radish for the first time.
They were easy to grow and are almost ready to pick...now I know what to do with the greens.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Lol. I even proofread.

Do hops have edible greens? I went googling....

cooking.stackexchange.com...

You might be better off with tender young leaves, but there are no critical ingredients that should deter you from giving them a try. Commonly one would expect the leaves to be used in a salad, but for older leaves I'd be tempted to add a heating step, like adding a handful in a stir-fry or omelette - think spinach or chard, for example.

As for the chemical compounds that influence the medicinal properties, the contents are extremely low in the leaves, so unlike for shots or flowers there is no limit to the amount you can safely consume.
( We explicitly do not discuss health and nutrition here, but some foods should be consumed in limited amounts nevertheless. For hops, that is mainly due to ingredients with calming and estrogen-like properties.)

www.thekitchn.com...

Apparently they are edible 👍🏻
We learned something new!!😋

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea the whole plant was edible. Will be trying radish leaf pesto (leaf, pistachio, garlic, pecorino, oil).

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
We've eaten radish greens often. And radishes are one of the easiest things to grow. They're ready to eat very quickly and so versatile.

S&F for you!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Oh my I know! The best part of the broc/cauli for me is that nice thick stem you peal and eat raw, cooked, anyway you can. Unreal to me how much of the 'good stuff' gets thrown out or fed to the chickens.
Oh sure I still give the bunnies and chickens some - but - I get my share too!
Thanks!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Have you tried nettles? They're green. Not as good as other greens but in a pinch they're good too.

I forgot if the male of female are better though.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Garlic shoots are also nice in a salad.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
They've been mostly eradicated on our place. I haven't tried eating them but my cousin uses them for arthritis pain.
Pokeweed and curly leaf dock are my most prolific producers and we love both. We have lamb's quarters and shiso growing wild as well so they're always available in summer. We just mix everything together, greens, onion tops or flowers, and a bit of garlic in some bacon drippings....splash with vinegar and have plenty of cornbread handy.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Oh do tell about the arthristis pain!

I have a friend who's crippled up something horrible with arthritis and I'd love to help him.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join