It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie in bacteria DNA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Who needs film when you can store a movie in bacteria DNA?

You might call it the smallest movie ever made.

This week, a team of scientists report that they have successfully embedded a short film into the DNA of living bacteria cells. The mini-movie, really a GIF, is a five-frame animation of a galloping thoroughbred mare named Annie G.

“DNA has a lot of properties that are good for archival storage,” Shipman said. “It’s much more stable than silicon memory if you wanted to hold something for thousands of years.”

DNA instead of silicone? I'm not sure I understand but I'm sure there's someone here that will.

After the entire movie had been inserted into the genome, the authors boiled the cells to extract the DNA and then sequenced the regions where they thought the encoded movie frames would be. After running the extracted sequences through a computer program, the team found they were able to play back their movie with 90% accuracy.

So there are many applications for this?

I hope someone else can explain this.

“There are certain places we can’t go that a cell can go,” Shipman said. “The brain is locked away inside the skull, and these changes happen rapidly and all at the same time.”

So I've not been at all helpful and I've got far more questions and no answers.

What say you all?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Amazing, but first off, a 10% data loss is a lot to lose. There would have to be considerable redundancy and error correction to make up for that, if even possible.

There have been so many DNA related revelations of late and one just wonders at what will be possible in as little as ten years.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Now we just have to find the movie that our creator put in our DNA!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

So what they're doing is using DNA to hold information? Like a internal hard disk?

Sorry I'm just not getting this - not my field of in the know in the least.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr

Now we just have to find the movie that our creator put in our DNA!

Now that gives me tons to think about... Kind of mind blowing.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

It's a technology so wowing us tinfoil hatters might wonder if it was reverse engineered from e.t. tech.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

What say you all?

I'm waiting for the day when I can see a movie, it's gets encoded in my brain's proteins, those proteins then transfer the info to my DNA, and I pass that DNA onto my kids. Then, several generations later, someone comes along and reads the DNA of one of my distant descendants, and recovers the movie I saw, and shows it to everybody of those future times.

Then, we'll have arrived at the real knowledge of what the DNA does.

edit on 12-7-2017 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

They could recover all the images you have seen. All of'em......
edit on 12-7-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

So... just for kicks...

Theoretically we could find someone who's seen Shazaam with Sinbad thus proving that a) the ME exists and b) he starred in a genie movie in the 90s that killed his career... all we would need is someone who actually saw it... mwahaaha!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

You mean Akashic record is possible?

Perhaps all that "junk DNA" is really information storage from millions of years ago. Would be awesome if there's movies on there.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

You mean Akashic record is possible?

Perhaps all that "junk DNA" is really information storage from millions of years ago. Would be awesome if there's movies on there.
antediluvian perhaps? Pre deluge, A walking library...

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That should bring a new twist to copyright protection. You download a bootleg copy of the latest flick and they'll confiscate you... erase your DNA or take ownership of it.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Reply to all:

This is flipping wild!

So it's a bit like the movie Brainstorm where a specially designed helmet allowed the transfer of thoughts and sensations (one of my favorite movies ever by the way) - only - in these circumstance our 'movie' is written on our DNA?

That's just fierce cool!

edit on 0414Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: spell oops

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

DNA is like a huge hard drive, it stores all the information about you, for example, your hair colour, eye colour, how tall you will grow, if you are susceptible to getting fat or growing tumours, it is all already encoded, so we have found a way to put new information into dna strands which when read back forms images

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

*Hangs head in shame.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

Amazing, but first off, a 10% data loss is a lot to lose. There would have to be considerable redundancy and error correction to make up for that, if even possible.

There have been so many DNA related revelations of late and one just wonders at what will be possible in as little as ten years.

This is kind of a first go at it. Think about the first computers.This opens up some crazy stuff. I guarantee in 5-10 years they will be able to code it as well as a computer disk.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

a reply to: pirhanna

The writing is on the wall that bio-neural data communications is probably going to be a big thing.

So imagine that you can locate the sections of the genome that describe brain function. You find the code to discover the location in the brain where it stores the "true" (reality) or "false"(deception) of any question asked of the owner.

A brain probe zero's in on that set of synapses.

Talk about a revelation in lie detectors!

Some research along this line was done using MRI imaging, in a white paper by the NCBI, but it still does not know exactly where to look, nor has the required resolution:

MRI Brain Imaging for truthfulness

edit on 13-7-2017 by charlyv because: content

edit on 13-7-2017 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

top topics

join