It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the biggest icebergs in recorded history just broke loose from Antarctica

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
That's a lot of martinis.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
So what is hidden inside or better what is underneath the iceberg? The crack looks artificial to me and not just formed by nature. I'm highly suspicious of everything that comes from that place in particular.

Looks like things are about to get very interesting.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I am going to start a petition that the UN formally designates this new land mass as 'Covfefe'

Look at it - it even looks like it should be called Covfefe.

"Where are you going for your holidays Garry?" .......... "I'm heading off to Covfefe with the missus and kids for a week in the snow, Johnno"

Covfefe - it can be a real place, then we can tax it and put a McDonalds on there - and a petrol station and pub.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I sincerely hope you people realize that this ice is not pure water. It's snow that's been building up for thousands of years and in consequence with that snow fall comes all the crap that is in the atmosphere at that time.
As for the glacier this is just normal. If you don't know glaciers are moving forward all the while. They creep forward till the leading edge reaches a temperate zone where the higher temperature creates holes, cracks and tunnels till the front just falls off. This just happens to be a bigger piece because it's a bigger glacier and if you want to wait around for a couple more hundred years you will see the same thing again.
As for the ice shelf that is dependent on the ocean currents for its movements. Who knows the currents may drive it back onto the pack.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Sea ice hits record lows

Persistent warming trend and loss of sea ice are triggering extensive Arctic changes

Arctic Report Card: Update for 2016

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It's a Trumpberg, clear as a white snowflake. Don't make me help you remember that.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Btw is it moving or is it just sitting there for all eternity? I feel like this could tie in VoL's tweets about USO's and alien underwater bases. Come on world give us the happening of a lifetime.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

It's moving otherwise the crack wouldn't have kept growing. With as massive as this thing is, it will take years, perhaps decades, to melt.

It will keep swirling around down near where it is following the vagaries of the ocean currents.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

So theoretically this massive piece of ice and snow could now show up anywhere in the world? Could be interesting to follow this thing around and to watch where it will end up.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

So theoretically this massive piece of ice and snow could now show up anywhere in the world?

No, not now.

Now, it could show up close to where it is, depending on the ocean currents.

Don't worry it cant teleport and just show up on your front door step.

The further north it moves the quicker it will melt.

Could be interesting to follow this thing around and to watch where it will end up.

Yes, very interesting.

Like I said, it moves further north, starts to rapidly melt and releases large amounts of fresh water into the sea.

Something that size could really make a change in the ocean environment which in turn effects everything else.

However, I think before it starts drifting North if it will, companies will use the ice for fresh water. 80% of all fresh water on earth is frozen in Ice glaciers.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
hmm, you know, I actually think that could make an interesting experiment. Why not?? I bet there is alien technology buried in it somewhere, and that some governments will be maintaining an exclusion zone around it until they recover what they want.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

wasn't talking about arctic sea ice but about ice volume on Green-LAND

While we were celebrating our Independence Day on July 4th, Summit Station in Greenland may have experienced the coldest July temperature ever recorded in the Northern Hemisphere at -33°C (-27.4°F). Much of Greenland has been colder-than-normal for the year so far and has had record or near record levels of accumulated snow and ice since the fall of last year. The first week of this month was especially brutal in Greenland resulting in the record low July temperature and it also contributed to an uptick in snow and ice extent - despite the fact that it is now well into their summer season.

IMPRESSIVE COLD IN GREENLAND AND NEAR RECORD ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW AND ICE

Current Surface Mass Budget of the Greenland Ice Sheet

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
hmm, you know, I actually think that could make an interesting experiment. Why not?? I bet there is alien technology buried in it somewhere, and that some governments will be maintaining an exclusion zone around it until they recover what they want.

Is the Antarctica treaty still in full effect when the landmass moves out of the protected zone?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

I think you are right. Enterprising folk won't let a chance at a good profit go to waste.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
RSOE EDIS is showing climate events on both ends???...Interesting.

RSOE

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
Are there any pics?

You'd think with the biggest iceberg ever there'd be at least a public satellite pic...

Please share pics.

I hope they put some timelapse cameras onto that iceberg and see the daytime, night-time, the sun and moon moving across the sky, blizzards move across, the weather and ocean waves as well as all the animals that make use of it.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Maybe this could be claimed as a international artic research base. Add propulsion to it or tow it to peice of the artic ocean and then anchor it. voila permanent research base for artic exploration of the ocean there.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Antarctic Iceplorations.

Ok, who's up for a kickstarter to take control over this State of Snowflake? Experience how things melt away and be the first to drown! That's quite the bucket of ice challenges for mad hashtags right there. Literally cool way to go as well.

#SeaIceMatters
edit on 12-7-2017 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: KonquestAbySS

lol, they have it listed under 'climate change'

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: yuppa

Antarctic Iceplorations.

Ok, who's up for a kickstarter to take control over this State of Snowflake? Experience how things melt away and be the first to drown! That's quite the bucket of ice challenges for mad hashtags right there. Literally cool way to go as well.

#SeaIceMatters

It will take years and years to melt in the artic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join