It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OOPS!!! AI used by Amazon to design phone cases goes HILARIOUSLY wrong!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
When Artificial Intelligence goes wrong, the consequences could become dire. Except in this case, where they are absolutely HILARIOUS!!!

An AI system that Amazon used to pick & format graphics for cell phone cases made some horrible, but funny choices. The AI was supposed to choose images based on popular web search results. Somehow, things went awry and the AI started choosing medical related pictures. Being that the system was completely self operated, it not only manufactured the phone cases, but also listed them for sale on Amazon!!!

The error was promptly noticed, and the items made unavailable, but not before some funny screen grabs got out!!!

Here's the linkto the original article posted by IFL Science, along with an excerpt fom the article and a couple of pics...

An Amazon AI bot that was created to design smartphone cases has gone delightfully and hilariously wrong. The Amazon bot is supposed to generate phone cases based on popular image searches, but unfortunately the bot seems to have gone awry and is now designing some bizarre phone cases, largely of a medical nature.

As a result, the phone cases from My-Handy-Design are pretty ridiculous. Some of our favorites include "cheese wheel on bady" and "adult diaper worn by old man with a crutch". The photos would perhaps be useful in articles about cheese wheels or as adverts for adult diapers, but they don't look so great on an iPhone 6.

. -source: IFLScience

Information sourced from IFLScience!

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

That is too hilarious!

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Mistakes like these make me feel like life is still worth living. Hahahaha.

I can't even....

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Error my ass! All of those pictures just so happen to be applicable to Americans in one way or another.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Haha, this is too funny to me. "Adult diaper worn by old man with a crutch cell phone case" has my vote. Almost makes me want to order one just for kicks lol.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I was just discussing this incident with a co-worker, and he mentioned that if few of these were sold and shipped, they could possibly become very valuable, based on the error and limited numbers available before being shut down.

As weird as that may seem, It is quite probable!!!
How would you like that? A family member passes away, and wills you their "old man in diaper" phone case, and you couldn't be happier!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

And I would rather have my left testicle stapled to my right nipple rather than possess such a phone cover.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Heroin, Spoon and Syringe got 3 stars! I am shocked it got ANY STARS! ... a true testament to how screwed this opioid problem is here in America... smh

Cheese wheel on baby instead of table(LBGTQ) out of stock ... no small wonder. This one probably has a matching lace RompHim somewhere on Amazon's site

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
That's glorious!

I'm going to have to see if I can get one.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Awesomeness! I bet these become one of those rare sought after items in the future.
IF anyone actually got them delivered.
I'd pay good money for one of those! The vag scratch or adult diaper would be lit to answer a call on

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Something doesn't quite add up here.. so this AI just randomly chooses obscure, random and also hilarious pictures, out of billions available?

This is either publicity for amazon and their new system or the programmer was having a laugh with it..

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
"Adult diaper worn by old man with crutch"

That guy has some problems...but a nice mobile phone case!

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
Awesomeness! I bet these become one of those rare sought after items in the future.
IF anyone actually got them delivered.
I'd pay good money for one of those! The vag scratch or adult diaper would be lit to answer a call on

You can probably get one quite easily online.. download the image and get it made for you..

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
These would not become collectible for the sole reason, anybody could still make these on request. In fact, there are now many domestic suppliers of custom phone cases on independent websites nd ebay who will make them with 3d printers. Or, they have arrangements with factories in China already that can process any custom phone case you want.
Photoshop any nude celebrity you want and you can make it a phone case.

The novelty here though is what a computer decided to create based on analytical data interpreted too literally when left to its own creations.

I still think AI is responsible for the global hacks, existence of ISIS, and the increase of random military aircraft failures. It is trying to make its way into our nukes.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Well, it clearly knows what people want.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Robots are the future? lol.

When all the paying jobs are automated, the robots will each need a human supervisor to make sure their 'efficiency' doesn't bankrupt the company.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Am I really going to have to be the first one to mention the butt plug???

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

That's awesome.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think you mean hilariously right.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Popular searches though...

..telling...