It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study: Being Transgender Is Not A Mental Disorder

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Asking yourself the question if it is something that can be fixed, sure enough you will be seen as a transgender-phobe.
If you discover that certain additives are changing someones internal biology would you forbid these additives?

It's not a matter of 'fixing it' but a matter of how to deal with it, well at least in this society where nothing is getting fixed only being treated and/or you have to live with it.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: birdonwire

That's what some organizations continue to push, yes. There are psychiatrists who still think homosexuality is a mental disorder.

edit on 7/11/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: birdonwire
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

From your own linked article it seems that it is a classified a mental disorder.

some of the most influential medical bibles, including the WHO's International Classification of Diseases (ICD), continue to categorize a transgender diagnosis as a diagnosis of mental disorder.

Well the title was meant to reflect the findings of the study as opposed to the WHO classification but don't you worry that will be changed sooner than later in the grand scope of time. An example of how this viewed differently in a real world scenario would be pilots. For a long time if you came out as Transgender and were a pilot your license would be suspended/revoked or whatever. That has changed within the last I wanna say 5 years or so and Transgender pilot's are flying again. So rest assured people are fighting to that changed and will succeed eventually.

Does it make sense though in that regard to label someone mentally ill that is able to be a productive member of society and performing at levels such as piloting multi million dollar aircraft. Seems to me that some sense of sanity would be required for such a task.

*Edit* I will admit though that I did type the title hastily and it should read "not a mental illness". You are correct though it is labeled a disorder but there is a huge difference between illness and disorder in regards to real life consequences associated with such a label. I believe that is actually why Trans pilots were reinstated is because it was switched from illness to disorder.
edit on 11-7-2017 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Even then, "toxic" is quite subjective and relative to the person. If we truly want an honest and open discussion, we have to allow all forms of opinion, regardless of how extreme it may be. Let the individual discern what's toxic on their own and they can filter at their own leisure.

Asking for it to be completey eradicated, is the wrong approach, and is oppressing somebody else's right to their freedom of expression.

Again to use homosexuality as a example, homophobia has been pretty much eradicated, just a few idiots who think a person who is in a same sex relationship has less value.

A phobia is a fear of someone or something. The days of people actually fearing homosexuality and/or behaviors is pretty much all but done away with. You want to know why? Because folks simply adopted the live and let live attitude towards it.

However, that STILL doesn't seem to be enough for the LGBT community!
It's almost as if the situation has been flipped over and the LGBT community has a heterophobia!

Hang on just a darn second there. These forums are filled with many different types and for the most part people are incredibly smart and have a great ability to discern bullpuckey when presented with it.

It should be easy to understand why I then ask please don't mistake the gay and lesbian and bisexual 'community' - it's less of a community than you'd think - with certain other groups who have hijacked things and now use what used to be a cause needing important attention into just another reason to screech and protest.

My theory on why they've done this is because they are unfocused and angry about their own lives, aside from real psychological issues, but that's a whole other thread and conversation.

What we think are causes these days have been taken over by the perpetually, professionally outraged.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Closed for a few to allow members to take a deep breath......reopened.....

Reminder....

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.
That means no bickering, no mocking of other members, and staying on topic.
Community Announcement re: Decorum
We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!
edit on Tue Jul 11 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Jul 11 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: reopened 7:10 EDT

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GusMcDangerthing

It should be easy to understand why I then ask please don't mistake the gay and lesbian and bisexual 'community' - it's less of a community than you'd think - with certain other groups who have hijacked things and now use what used to be a cause needing important attention into just another reason to screech and protest.

Are you trying to be coy and beat around the bush? I believe you are and I believe you mean to imply that that the fight for equality on behalf of the T part of that little acronym is somehow insignificant in comparison with the others. That somehow Trans people are less than people not deserving of the same rights as others. Perhaps you would like to expand on anything I may have missed or clarified anything I got wrong.

My theory on why they've done this is because they are unfocused and angry about their own lives, aside from real psychological issues, but that's a whole other thread and conversation.

Do I seem I angry? Please reference any post of mine in this thread that eludes to anger. If I had to guess I would say that you are the one that is angry but why is the question. Why are you angry? I'd also guess that your gay and dislike Trans people or at the very least misunderstand us.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Your title and consequently your whole post is frankly trash, you preface us, leading with "New Study: Being Transgender Is Not A Mental Disorder", then proceed to show us a terribly executed, unprofessional, truly unscientific "study" which isn't even about what your title misleads everyone to think, this purported study actually talks about how people who are all ready transgender suffer and where the main causes and reason lie for their current suffering as a transgender person i.e. being bullied or assaulted etc because they are already overtly transgender, nowhere does any of this pseudo science trash mention that being a trans gender is not a mental illness and anyone who can read that into it must have a mental disorder and are more likely transgender, case in point, I rest my case.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

Are you trying to be coy and beat around the bush? I believe you are and I believe you mean to imply that that the fight for equality on behalf of the T part of that little acronym is somehow insignificant in comparison with the others. That somehow Trans people are less than people not deserving of the same rights as others. Perhaps you would like to expand on anything I may have missed or clarified anything I got wrong.

Do I seem I angry? Please reference any post of mine in this thread that eludes to anger. If I had to guess I would say that you are the one that is angry but why is the question. Why are you angry? I'd also guess that your gay and dislike Trans people or at the very least misunderstand us.

I was not coy in any of my comment but you can believe whatever you wish to believe. Yes, I'm gay, but I'm not angry. I'm pretty chill and always have been and the Trans 'fight' is not my fight. It was, once, but then the whole thing was hijacked by social justice warriors who apparently think they know better than everyone else and just ripped the cause from us - not that it was really needed in my case now anyway.

I was not specifically referring to you, but to the hijackers. If you identify with those fools then go for your life but that's where you and I part ways in this.

I don't dislike trans people and I also don't misunderstand them. Perhaps if they stopped teaming up with the blue-and-pink-haired f-wits and feminists that try to tell everyone else that there are like 60 or more genders and like I said, screech and holler and basically cause nuisance for the sake of it and label themselves and spokespeople for people like me who think they're stupid idiots that ought to shut the hell up, they might get somewhere.

Don't you see the damage being done when you include everything under what used to be a much shorter acronym? People think the gays want what the irrational, liberal protesters want which appears to me to be different things on different days and it's doing damage to what was very hard won by us.

So you can either piss us off or not, but I'm a conservative gay and many of us are and you are running a massive risk by allying with the social justice warriors who only want to cause disruption rather than dialogue. These are the people who want to remove the G from LGBT anyway because gay = male and males must be destroyed. No, I'm not angry, I'm simply fed up like most of the rest of the country is.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I'll ignore your opinion and stick with the professionals.

www.cnsnews.com...

Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is ‘Mental Disorder;' Sex Change ‘Biologically Impossible’

Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.

Dr. McHugh, the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in a recent commentary in the Wall Street Journal, where he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’” – the notion that their maleness or femaleness is different than what nature assigned to them biologically.

He also reported on a new study showing that the suicide rate among transgendered people who had reassignment surgery is 20 times higher than the suicide rate among non-transgender people. Dr. McHugh further noted studies from Vanderbilt University and London’s Portman Clinic of children who had expressed transgender feelings but for whom, over time, 70%-80% “spontaneously lost those feelings.”

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I just found out, im a female trapped in a male body and im lesbian, my wife is a male trapped in a female body but shes gay..... what do we do?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It has been debunked. Sorry. There is a thread on that John Hopkins study.
You can go look for it and contribute your "opinion" to it.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Because as the years pass by and new norms are established, each pivotal moment over the generations set new precedents and eventually somewhere you have to draw a line say enough is enough, here are the accepted bound of norms within a given society and anything out with that is not normal, you can't just simply keep raising the "normal" bar to accommodate for the way some peoples brains work, eventually you just have to say stop that's not normal and I don't care how much you tell me its harmless its still not normal.

100 years ago if you were gay it was frowned upon.

50 years ago if a man went walking down the street dressed as a women it would have been frowned upon.

These days there the new normal, fine you say but when does that line get drawn, when does the progressive agenda go too far in your opinion.

For example that very strange individual 50+ year old man that has just decided after all these years to finally come out as he gender associates with 6 year old girls and so chooses to dress like one and act like one, would you as a morally upright human being feel comfortable and confident in letting that individual play with your 6 year old daughters alone if you have any children that is or if not then lets create some hypothetical ones for you but the question remains, would you be happy with that?

That's just one case, one example.

So, why does it bother me?
Why shouldn't I just live and let live?

Because I worry about the sort of #ed up world my children are growing up in and further to that what sort of #ed up world my grandchildren will be born into, and I'm sorry but when I was a kid I never ever had to ask my parents why a particular man was walking about dressed as a women or why even for that matter was he in the supposed wrong bathroom, try explain that to kids, my parent never had to thankfully and I just really wish the same for mine and theirs alike.

Here endeth the lesson.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Because there has been a thread made on ATS with rabid LGBT activists participating does not mean that Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, has been debunked. Only a small minority of rabid activists think it has been debunked, the majority of people that are of sound mind will side with the Dr.

“And so at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.

The former Johns Hopkins chief of psychiatry also warned against enabling or encouraging certain subgroups of the transgendered, such as young people “susceptible to suggestion from ‘everything is normal’ sex education,” and the schools’ “diversity counselors” who, like “cult leaders,” may “encourage these young people to distance themselves from their families and offer advice on rebutting arguments against having transgender surgery.”

Dr. McHugh also reported that there are “misguided doctors” who, working with very young children who seem to imitate the opposite sex, will administer “puberty-delaying hormones to render later sex-change surgeries less onerous – even though the drugs stunt the children’s growth and risk causing sterility.”

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Pazuzu666

I'm sorry I couldn't help it, you seem angry. He he...but seriously though this part right here is incorrect

nowhere does any of this pseudo science trash mention that being a trans gender is not a mental illness

It has been changed from illness to disorder which is the current standing which I mention in a post on this very same page, check it out. I not only acknowledge this but admit my mistake in hastily posting the thread, oops my bad. So chill grab a snickers and relax man.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I don't dislike trans people and I also don't misunderstand them. Perhaps if they stopped teaming up with the blue-and-pink-haired f-wits and feminists that try to tell everyone else that there are like 60 or more genders and like I said, screech and holler and basically cause nuisance for the sake of it and label themselves and spokespeople for people like me who think they're stupid idiots that ought to shut the hell up, they might get somewhere.

Fair enough, I can respect that.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Because if it is a mental disorder it can never be treated by a fully accepting society, no matter how many surgeries the person goes through. If it is a mental disorder, we are being asked to go along with a sick persons delusions, which not only wouldn't be healthy for that person, it wouldn't be healthy for society.

Speaking personally, I don't have an opinion because I don't have enough information on the subject. No one does yet, because we aren't biologically/mentally savvy enough to understand why trans people are the way that they are. All I know is that from all the stats that I have seen, the trans suicide rate is still incredibly high, even when compared to documented rates of other groups of people that are marginalized or harassed or hated.

We are having this trans stuff absolutely shoved into our faces by the media quite a bit now. To be honest it is getting fairly obvious that straight up social engineering programs have been fired up to make it seem totally normal. It really is not normal, and I do not mean that as a pejorative. If .6% of people are trans than that is the very definition of not "normal".

I do know that the healthiest way to solve a problem is not to point the finger at another person as having caused the problem. We can control how we react to things and we can very much control how we feel.

We should be celebrating the fact that there has never been a time or a place (to my knowledge) where trans people could feel more free to be themselves, and I believe it is continuing to get better and better. Unfortunately, stats have shown that trans people get the surgery that the community praises them so highly for, and they still kill themselves, often at even higher rates than pre-surgery. It is quite sad.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Absolutely and I agree, if they could accurately diagnose it and treat it in the womb, fixing it before birth.. you would definitively have trans people protest..

It would be ridiculous.. because almost all say if given the option when a kid, they would choose to be normal.

Of course people's natural inclination is to normalize themselves..and not want to isolate themselves by being the last remnants of a cured mental disorder..

But that wouldn't make them right..

However we can't fix it now.. and what do we do with people with disorders they can't fix.. help them feel better about it..

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ShamnaOahu

We go along with people with mental disorders delusions on a regular basis..

What about someone with autism??

Do we force down their throats they have autism?? Or do we humor them and make life a hair more comfortable..

Assuming it is a disorder we can't fix, wouldn't it be very similar to autism??

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

We do go along with mental disorders constantly..

When some one with autism or another nonviolent disorder.. what do we do??

Humor them and leave them alone..

Not all mental disorders are treatable nor are all dangerous.. some people are just stuck that way.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: xSEEKxNxSTRIKEx
Oh gawd, so i have a different view makes you self righteous eh. Because i believe in what is by nature and not fantasy i dont live in your reality. Because a boy who has to use his palm to ejaculate semen, (ya know, the stuff males have to impregnate woman.) Isnt a male just a chick in a male body and i need a reality check? Maybe you just need some lead between your eyes so you can try to come back and do it right the next time.

Who exactly is this directed towards? I certainly hope your not directing your vile vitriol towards me. But, if it is let me address it one last time because you're either purposely being obtuse or your trolling me and I'm not quite sure which yet so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

My position has nothing to do with you having a different opinion. My issse is that your opinion is based in willful ignorance and a denial of actual science when you repeat in every thread pertaining to this topic will th your continuous
Insistence that the only options for H. Sapiens Sapiens is either XX or XY. I've given you the pertinent information repeatedly so to insist that anyone who actually understands genetics is living in fantasy is just sheer lunacy. The science simply is not on your side in this farce.

As to your comment regarding lead between my eyes, regardless of your chromosomal makeup, you haven't got the stones for it. Furthermore, that type of threat is verboten on ATS and unfortunately it will get this whole thread closed again and you will be banned from ATS for threatening another poster with a class A felony and a federal charge if you live in another state than i do. It's too bad that you have to troll so hard that you're willing to destroy what was an otherwise civil discussion between the adults who were participating simply because you're an ignorant bigot. And Then say this knowing that my own post will be removed shortly. It's always the one bad apple and today apparently that's you. Rotten to the core. What a waste and what a shame. It's people like you that keep the rest of us from having nice things.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join