It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-130 down in Mississippi-2017

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I know it's still crooked but that's her up close...Living on the Gulf Coast I have seen quote a few military planes at very low levels off shore fishing...

I had a C-130 buzz me so low one time fishing you could feel the air move as she went over 100 foot of so off the deck......Pilots wagged the wings as us as to say hello boys.

edit on 11-7-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

The media reported they were flying at 20,000 feet in calm air when they had a major structural failure. Now if they were buzzing the bean fields and hit the water tower this might have made sense. Unless some media tank is trying to pass off their disinfo they aren't telling us something. Maybe Trump meant "O fie, fie, fie!"?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Let's see.....
At 20,000 ft. altitude I can think of several reasons why an aircraft can have a structural failure.
Clear Air Turbulence.
An engine runaway because of a malfunction in the prop feathering mechanism.
Undetected corrosion leading to a structural failure.
Pilot error
Maintenance error.
Defective parts.

The media know very little about aircraft. They don't want to. What they do want is to create controversy to keep this story in the news.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

And don't get me started on their "file photo" crap. One of the articles yesterday had a picture captioned as a C-130 similar to the one that crashed in Mississippi, with a beautiful head on photo of an A400M.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Now I'll say they definitely had an engine problem. It sounds like an oil line broke possibly. Now they're saying the aircraft spun down, nose low, with white smoke trailing from one engine.

Six of the Marines and the corpsman were from the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion in North Carolina. Thru haven't confirmed it, but I still think they had a second crew on board.

They were supposed to stop at MCAS Yuma where the Raiders were to undergo predeployment training.
edit on 7/11/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I'm thinking it may have been uncontained engine failure, possibly a burst turbine disk. Possibly damaged the fuselage and engine next to it as well as damaging the right stab. Then when they spun, the stab snapped and there wasn't a damn thing they could do.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Ugh. Thank you for all of your insight here Zaph. I get back into the country from where I had no access to news to see this and having to ask around for sitrep on friends.

Have they said the families of the crew, corpsman and Raiders have been officially notified yet?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

They were supposed to be doing the notifications today. Then there's a 24 hold after they're all notified, then they'll release the names.

I told my other half that I commented on Facebook that it didn't explode, little did I know that for nomenclature I could put #storm, 1 (ea). Heh.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower
a reply to: GuidedKill

The media reported they were flying at 20,000 feet in calm air when they had a major structural failure. Now if they were buzzing the bean fields and hit the water tower this might have made sense. Unless some media tank is trying to pass off their disinfo they aren't telling us something. Maybe Trump meant "O fie, fie, fie!"?

You're truly going to make a joke at the loss of 16 of my brothers...real mature at a time like this.

I just hope it was quick and painless for all involved.

Also Zaph your knowledge of aircraft is unparalleled, thank you for all of your insight into this matter it is truly very informative reading your posts.
edit on 11-7-2017 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: caf1550

We often never hear the truth from the media about these military accidents..
Its no joke, perhaps media whoring to cover up a more serious problem..

O, fie, fie, fie! Thy sin's not accidental, but a trade. Mercy to thee would prove itself a bawd: 'Tis best thou diest quickly.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

The not knowing and waiting is the hardest part

Oorah you crazy bastards

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

The only serious problem is the maintenance issue from lack of funding. And that's more in fighter units, where the airframes are stressed to the limit day in and day out.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Did you rule out sabotage and acts of terrorism?

Structural integrity, age, service

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
RIP Brothers

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: iWontGiveUP

Almost certainly. There's always the remote possibility of sabotage or something, but it's extremely remote. It will almost certainly be a maintenance related accident.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The first name was released.

Gunnery Sergeant Brendan Johnson from Vermont was a 23 year veteran, and was one of the loadmasters. He planned to retire next year.

Nine of the 16 were from New York, and were part of VMGR-452.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Freedom isn't free

The training exercise was to be conducted at the team level, which in MARSOC means small units of about 14 troops. Mannweiler said other members of this particular team, including the advance party, had already arrived in Yuma. The MARSOC Raiders aboard the KC-130 were bringing with them rifles and small-arms ammunition for the exercise.

While MARSOC regularly conducts a unit rehearsal exercise known as Raven in Mississippi, Mannweiler said this training exercise was unrelated. It's not immediately clear why the aircraft was passing over Mississippi en route to Arizona. A small command with only a few thousand assigned troops, MARSOC does not have any native aircraft assigned to its units.

Mannweiler said it's typical for the command to put troops aboard Reserve units' aircraft. "We will partner with a variety of different partners," he said. "It's not out of the ordinary for us to partner with any members of [Marine Forces Reserve]."

In a statement, MARSOC's chief of staff, who was not identified, expressed condolences to the families of the fallen. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire MARSOC family at this time," the chief of staff said.

"The incredible demands of this dangerous and demanding calling forge some of the tightest unit and family bonds found in the U.S. military. This loss impacts us all."

www.military.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I know you hate this..a lot of us do too.

Let's embrace the suck Sir.

15 Marines and a Navy ..

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

It always sucks when you lose a bird, but it's so much worse to lose a transport. You expect fighters to go down. At least their pilots have a better than average chance to get out. These guys only get to hold on and wait to hit the ground.

Thirty-one year old Julian Kevianne from Detroit has been named as another of the Marines on board. No word on his career beyond him joining the Marines in 2009.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

Stars and Stripes, which covers U.S. military affairs, reported that witnesses said bodies were found a mile from the wreckage.

Images posted online by local media showed the plane's crumpled remains engulfed in flames in a field surrounded by tall vegetation, with a large plume of smoke in the sky.

The crash left a five-mile (8-km) trail of debris, the local Clarion-Ledger newspaper reported.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join