It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4K TV As Main Gaming Monitor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Thinking about upgrading to a 4K TV to use as a monitor for PC 4K gaming and was just wondering as to the pros and cons of doing so.

My budget is around £300-£550 and was wondering if anyone had any advice, suggestions, or information pertaining to the subject?

Considering purchasing a Toshiba 55U6663DB 55 Inch Smart 4K Ultra HD LED TV for £400, but i'm not sure as to it's capability gaming wise? Size and cost seem fine but will it offer significantly better performance than my 40" LG 1080p TV?

Don't know much about 4K TVs really.
edit on 10-7-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Don't do it, first off if you want the quality of a 4K it won't be good using a tv with a horrible response time. Do you have a video card good enough to run 4K? If I were you u would buy a 2k 144hz monitor, acre makes a good one I just got for 180 bucks and can be debezeled and put in 3 monitor layout. Don't don't don't get a tv as a monitor you will be sorry.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Unless you're not sitting at a desk I wouldnt recommend using a 55 inch monitor to game. You need to be 3-4 feet away from a screen that large. You can go 4k on a 27 inch or use two side by side.
Personally I woudnt game on a TV screen, but I just like to sit up close to the monitor

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

That tv has a 6ms response time, which would not be ideal for gaming. The lower the better, ie 1 or 2ms.
You also need to make sure your pc is capable of running graphics at 4k. What are your system specs?

Another thing to consider is that when comparing a huge tv to a smaller monitor of identical resolution, the monitor will have a much sharper image. I wouldn't recommend getting a giant tv for pc gaming, but that's just my opinion. If you want the best experience possible, get a gaming monitor.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Personally for gaming I'd always go with a monitor because that's what they're built for but before you buy here's some advice from Linus.

Just scout your product out and you should be fine.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

My system can do the job, it's the TV response time and image quality i'm worried about really.

Might just get a 1440p monitor as a stop gap until 4K TVs do what they say on the tin gaming wise as looking at my budget im not really going to get anything that's capable for under £700.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

My specs: GTX1070x2, Ryzen 1600X(OC 4.1Ghz), 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4

Yes the response time does look rather crap on that TV, hence the cost i suppose, must have missed that.

What gaming monitor do you suggest?

To be honest im ideally looking for at least 32" in size.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
3 self built kickbutt custom gaming PCs. 3 Vizio 50" 4k Smart (forget the model) .
If you have the gaming machine , you cant go wrong.Nvidia 1080 Titans at least.
Just dont get them that large. I made a mistake

Nothing better for anything UHD
Fallout 4 with the 4k HD upgrade comes to mind as well as Mass Effect Andromeda.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I would love Titans, bit outside my price range all the same. LoL

I would indeed consider purchasing a 50" Vizio 4K TV but alas i cannot seem to find the Vizio brands available for purchase in the UK.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Do yourself a favour and steer clear of a 4K tv for gaming.
I wouldn't recommend a dual monitor set up either, rather a 34inch 21:9 curved screen running 3440 x 1440.
Ideally you'll need a couple of 1080 Ti's in SLI in your rig to get top performance. Even then full 4K gaming is not as enjoyable as running at 2560 * 1080 IMHO.
edit on 10/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I would indeed consider purchasing a 50" Vizio 4K TV but alas i cannot seem to find the Vizio brands available for purchase in the UK.

1080 Ti - costs half the price of a Titan X.... and not far behind performance wise.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

For Titans, have you tried second hand stores? I used to spend my weekends going round the CEX shops for anything on special offer. Saw one Titan X in the window, and managed to get another two, all at half price.

I bought a 48" 3D HD TV from Argos for £360, though it was a promotion of discontinued stock. The screen isn't as bright as a regular computer monitor but it does 4096 without a missing pixel.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
You want a quick response, and something that isn't Vizio.

I'm not sure if Vizio is big where you are, but seriously, stay away. I used to work for Vizio - USED - to work.

I have an Emerson that's well over eight years old that's still holding up better than the substandard parts used in Vizio TV's.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Here's a site with some ratings.

www.rtings.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I am running on a 42 inch Vizeo, and to be honest it is running great. I did the research and understood the response issues that others had presented, but one day I realized I have that damn big screen and don't use it. So I hooked it up. I played WOW with it, ran a raid or 2 did some instances and to be honest? Other than it not being quite as crisp as a monitor I have not had one bit of problem with response times.

The biggest danger is not the game play, but the damage to your eyes if you sit to close.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I use an LG 42" 1080p TV right now as my main gaming monitor along side a AOC 27" monitor as a desktop. I'm about 3ft away from the TV, so probably to close, although i do move back somewhat when gaming. LoL

To be honest i would consider a Vizeo 4K TV as apparently the response time, even on some of the cheaper models, can be under the 4ms mark. But they don't sell Vizeo TVs, to my knowledge, in the UK, and importation/delivery cost would be to much. I would be better off just buying an expensive model over here really.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I use an LG 42" 1080p TV right now as my main gaming monitor along side a AOC 27" monitor as a desktop. I'm about 3ft away from the TV, so probably to close, although i do move back somewhat when gaming. LoL

To be honest i would consider a Vizeo 4K TV as apparently the response time, even on some of the cheaper models, can be under the 4ms mark. But they don't sell Vizeo TVs, to my knowledge, in the UK, and importation/delivery cost would be to much. I would be better off just buying an expensive model over here really.

I am in the US so I don't know the economic differences. I just wanted to let you know my experience using my 42 inch Vizeo.

I play 7D2D a lot and I got to be honest, I have yet to experience getting hit by a zombie because my screen response is too slow. Also for WOW, I still never get hit by things I shouldn't stand in? I am not arguing with those who say different, I am just saying what my experience has been since plugging this monstrosity and setting it up on my pc.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The economic difference is Brexit is already bending us over the proverbial barrel and it's not even there yet, but i digress. LoL

Don't think the Vizeo brand have ever been available overhear. Anybody know why? As there is an obvious market as long as they are compatible or can take a 120/240v adaptor.

To be honest ive herd 4ms response time is fine, even 6ms is acceptable unless you are playing serious video sports competitively.

How do the 4K TVs fair at displaying 1080p imagery, does it downscale ok from the native resolution?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The economic difference is Brexit is already bending us over the proverbial barrel and it's not even there yet, but i digress. LoL

Don't think the Vizeo brand have ever been available overhear. Anybody know why? As there is an obvious market as long as they are compatible or can take a 120/240v adaptor.

To be honest ive herd 4ms response time is fine, even 6ms is acceptable unless you are playing serious video sports competitively.

How do the 4K TVs fair at displaying 1080p imagery, does it downscale ok from the native resolution?

My Vizeo isn't 4k. So for that aspect of you post, I am completely ignorant.

But as far as the EU and the Brexit? You guys are free for trade if you leave the EU! It's the EU that is stipulating how you trade!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join