It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fallacy of The War on Drugs and Ideas to End It

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
To me, the war on drugs is the single greatest contributing factor to the majority of our social problems. It gave the government cause to treat the citizens it chose as enemy combatants, and to police whole neighborhoods the same way our soldiers overseas police occupied territory. In effect, creating an American enemy on the inside, out of each other.

I don't believe the government has any more right to dictate what I can put into my body than it does my mind. That Americans allowed these most basic of freedoms to be taken away under the guise of safety is one of the great tragedies of the last century. What we now have is over a century of death and destruction all in the name of keeping us safe from ourselves. It's time for it to end.

Given the minds that frequent ATS, I'm interested in what ideas people may have for ending the war on drugs, decriminalization of drug use, treatment options, the impact you imagine it would have on society, good or bad, and anything else you can think of. Opposing viewpoints are more than welcome. I want to explore all facets.

Above all, the war on drugs is a war on Americans. And it's time we all stood up and said no more. No more will our sons and daughters be locked in a cage with actual violent criminals just because they wanted to feel different for a little while. No more will people have their lives ruined because they had a plant in their pocket.

No more.

I'll leave you with the words of David Simon, police reporter and creator of the only TV show to ever get the war on drugs right, The Wire.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
First, the war on crime was started to curtail our rights.

Then the war on drugs was started to curtail more rights, like having as much money in the bank as you want without reporting it.

Then the war on terror to make things a living hell on earth was started to make the world a massive police state.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
First, the war on crime was started to curtail our rights.

Then the war on drugs was started to curtail more rights, like having as much money in the bank as you want without reporting it.

Then the war on terror to make things a living hell on earth was started to make the world a massive police state.

Usually a "war" on something is just code for making whatever it is worse.

War on drugs.
War on poverty.
War on terror.

Etc..

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the 'war on drugs' will grind to a halt if mechanisation ever threatens to replace human workers. Because there will be a need for new forms of population pacification. It's not a coincidence that most western countries currently only allow one drug that speeds you up (caffeine) and another one that slows you down (alcohol). Nicotine aids concentration and gives a slight euphoria, but is currently in the shade for various reasons.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

They never fought a real war on poverty, but your right it was a farce as well as the other FAKE wars.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

what i want to see is full marijuana legalization at the federal level for all states.
i want to be able to go into a dispensary and buy my choice of strain and delivery method.
i would like to not fear losing my job because i enjoy MJ like all my coworkers that enjoy their booze
i want to not fear jail for enjoying my legally purchased MJ

i would like to see major changes in the scheduling and regulations on other drugs

anything less is unacceptable to me
edit on 8-7-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
One things for sure the war on drugs war pure fascism.

Back in the day, I kid you not, five minutes after I left my house, and I was a kid, the cops would have me on the ground or on a police car rousting me.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I've been on both sides of the fence. When I did drugs I was pro legalization. It's been 20 years since I last did drugs. I've seen enough peoples lives damaged from drugs. The last thing we need in society is to condone drug use.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
My stance isn't complete legalization where you can buy heroin at the gas station, let me just get that out there.

I believe anything you can naturally grow should be legal and not subject to any government interference.

I also believe that harder drugs shouldn't be illegal either, and clean safe versions should be available to any consenting adult, but to use these drugs you should attend some type of safety training.

Education is key here.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
the 'War on Drugs' is a political & psychological tool used to Control the drugs

look at the end results of some 30+ years of the failed operation

Afghanistan & the CIA domination of the opium trade is the result...

and the blowback from the Heroin/Opium monopoly.... the USAs growing Opiate Pharmaceutical Crisis with millions out of the labor force and the resulting stresses on both the non-worker AND the under-employed workers....

each group having millions of persons having-fallen-through-the-cracks & consuming opiates as either patients with RXs or by those seeking a distraction from the F---'d Up situation they find themselves in

just an ADD ON

www.thecommonsenseshow.com...

Conclusion

A drugged up population is a mind controlled population which poses no danger to the globalists plans to depopulate the human herd and the first steps involve keeping as many people as possible in a zombie state by drugging as many of our children, as possible, out of their mind.
If your child’s school district insists on playing the role of the thought police, then change schools.
If every school in your State is hell bent on biochemically castrating your child’s brain, then home school your child.
If the Department of Education outlaws home schooling, then be willing to go to jail. News flash:

Your children do not belong to the government and Big Pharma!
Your children look to you, their parents, to protect them from evils like the ones discussed here.

edit on th31149956144508502017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
I've been on both sides of the fence. When I did drugs I was pro legalization. It's been 20 years since I last did drugs. I've seen enough peoples lives damaged from drugs. The last thing we need in society is to condone drug use.

Thing is, the main thing that makes hard drug use so dangerous is the culture of illegality that surrounds it.

People overdose on heroin because the dose isn't standardized. You don't know if you're doing too much until it's too late. Having a standardized version available to people would save countless lives. More than 100 years of preaching abstinence.

I see it as the people who want to get drugs, will eventually get them. And it's best we do the smart thing for the person and society.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

This issue is bigger than the drugs themselves. It's an economic issue that goes right up into the ATF, DEA, the FDA, possibly state level attorneys general, Border and Customs, not to mention the alcohol companies and tobacco companies.
You could probably connect the issue to the IRS without much of a stretch. These agencies, entities get their money based on drugs. There's private prisons filled with drug users and small time dealers. Almost every medium to large police force has a "narcotics" division.

In other words, it's not a situation that will go away without a major upheaval of many of the institutions that themselves are ingrained within other institutions.

What I would like to see happen is for the classification of marijuana to be dropped and for it to be treated much like alcohol is treated these days. This could allow for the farming of non-intoxicating hemp as well. And this could be a boon to the American economy in many many many ways.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Thing is, the main thing that makes hard drug use so dangerous is the culture of illegality that surrounds it.

People overdose on heroin because the dose isn't standardized. You don't know if you're doing too much until it's too late. Having a standardized version available to people would save countless lives. More than 100 years of preaching abstinence.

I see it as the people who want to get drugs, will eventually get them. And it's best we do the smart thing for the person and society.

thats a great post and you make good points.
this war on drugs with all the crazy laws has been going on for a while now yet drugs are crazy easy to get.
it is not hard to score damn near anything
people are going to score their drug of choice no matter what.
i would think over the past 100 years that has been proven so instead of getting more strict with the laws that are not doing #, lets legalize some, loosen others, and regulate all for adults to make their own choices

adults that like altered states are going to find a way to get it. that will never be stopped

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

This issue is bigger than the drugs themselves. It's an economic issue that goes right up into the ATF, DEA, the FDA, possibly state level attorneys general, Border and Customs, not to mention the alcohol companies and tobacco companies.
You could probably connect the issue to the IRS without much of a stretch. These agencies, entities get their money based on drugs. There's private prisons filled with drug users and small time dealers. Almost every medium to large police force has a "narcotics" division.

In other words, it's not a situation that will go away without a major upheaval of many of the institutions that themselves are ingrained within other institutions.

All true, especially the last part. As long as our politicians are getting paid from the private prison industry and tobacco and alcohol, it will be an uphill fight.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

the revenue stream on taxes alone from legal MJ should be enough to warrant full legalization.
the money will come in so #in fast

all the # we dont have money for now..pick your poison.
schools. roads. the military. etc
well legalize MJ and there is your money for all that #

not only money earned in taxes from it but money saved by not going after people for it

even at a traffic stop. tail light is out. thats PC. search the person. find an 8th
now they call the dogs. the cop sits and waits. the other cops show up. the time goes by.
that is money spent chasing some bull# and time those cops are not out doing something of actual value.

how many times a day does that situation happen in this country?
im sure its a lot

its heads out of asses time
this needs to happen

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
the laws are #in stupid anyway
lets use psilocybin as an example

illegal. cant have mushrooms. cant grow mushrooms. its illegal
but you can go to wal mart and get everything you need to cultivate for less than 80 bucks.
you can go to any number of sites and legally buy a spore syringe.....not for growing though.
conveniently the syringes come with a glass slide and a warning saying they are for microscopy only.

its stupid

edit on 8-7-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I don't agree with you. You can't paint everything under the banner of "drugs" and assume it all leads to a pacification of society. Every substance is different.

I believe a lot of social narratives would collapse once enough people are able to step outside of themselves and view things from a completely different perspective.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

thats a great post and you make good points.
this war on drugs with all the crazy laws has been going on for a while now yet drugs are crazy easy to get.
it is not hard to score damn near anything
people are going to score their drug of choice no matter what.
i would think over the past 100 years that has been proven so instead of getting more strict with the laws that are not doing #, lets legalize some, loosen others, and regulate all for adults to make their own choices

adults that like altered states are going to find a way to get it. that will never be stopped

Exactly. Drugs have always been there and always will be. If it could be legislated away, it would have been by now.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Exactly. Drugs have always been there and always will be. If it could be legislated away, it would have been by now.

correct
funny thing is even with the laws they know the drugs are being bought, sold, grown, cultivated, etc etc

MJ is illegal but you can go into h20 grow stores around here and shop for killer grow op #. lights and tents. hydroponic supplies.
they know people are not shopping there for their prized daiseys.

Mj is illegal but you can buy all the # to grow with ease including seed banks
same with the psilocybin

people are not buying spore syringes to look at them #s under a scope.

head shops. full of glass pipes and bongs and fake piss
putting a flower in a bong does not make it a vase but thats how it is done

even the gas station on the corner sells pipes, grinders, flavored wraps....all of it

you telling me people are buying those grinders to chop up their big ass tobacco leafs then twisting them in a grape wrap?
nope

tax the # so it is on the level and let the people that are buying it already continue to do so without being a criminal for it

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is your brain

This is the CIA MK-ultra

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join