It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Earth could turn into a hothouse planet like Venus

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

The difference between glaciers covering Manhattan and today is about 5 degrees Celsius. That's how seemingly small mean temperatures matter - it's the mean temperature for the entire planet.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

It would basically hardly change at all, in 80 years.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Good thing we are talking about 4% of that, 0.2 degrees.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Dude if you believe Steven hakwing actually said that you're crazy. He hasn't been in control of that electronic device of his for years he hasn't been saying any of this s*** that they claim he has.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

The 0.2 degrees Celsius change you refer to is if the agreement is fully fulfilled, and refers to a reduction in the rise of temperatures.

I don't pretend that it is a lot, but it is something.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Lol, we actually speculated that theory earlier in the thread. I wouldn't be totally surprised!

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

But is it enough to make a big deal out of?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

The 0.2 degrees Celsius change you refer to is if the agreement is fully fulfilled, and refers to a reduction in the rise of temperatures.

I don't pretend that it is a lot, but it is something.

And what is the worldwide cost of getting that .2 degrees per year? What is the US commitment and how much would it cost? Why do we need to be part of the accord to reach that goal anyways?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

But is it enough to make a big deal out of?
Nope. And that's if it's 100% implemented .. when has anything turned out to be 100% implemented by everyone?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

You're absolutely right, now this whole thing makes much more sense to me. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Ah but if you want to compare costs, then you get into other interesting factors.

For example, what is the cost of coastal cities flooding - the cost of the loss of homes and businesses?

Certainly we do not need to be part of an accord, but then I feel the accord is not particularly useful given the dire scenarios we face.
edit on 13Sun, 09 Jul 2017 13:25:02 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The bad news is that Trump is working to undo anything done progressively in regards to protecting out environment, in favor of $$$. The good news is if he hopefully is just a single term President, and the natural damage that can be done is possibly limited by that short period of time. Hopefully the next President won't think that letting mines dump waste into streams for example, is a "good idea."

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Why are we talking about the cost of coastal cities flooding when the Paris accord is 0.2 degrees, it won't flood anything. And that's 0.2 degrees in the year 2100, not tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

It's really just a terrible accord. It's worthless

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
That useful idiot is still being dangled before us?

The Trump assignation was all I had to hear.

I won't pollute myself reading this tripe infested source.

They have to use everything they've got to re-wrest control...

nice try, but stick with drag queens and Officer Genderbenders in Kindergartens

then after the change, hit 'em with the boiling ocean crap. The kids'll be more susceptible then since
how can God make a mistake, if there is no God? They will believe anything after that.

there's a reason why most tv ads serve only to reinforce a consumer choice that was already made...

this is just pathetic and shameless, that poor hostage, that poor poor man...

# 823
edit on 9-7-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I can tell you from first hand experience we are getting hotter. I have live in SC since 2005 The trees here on my land are dying. I have 3 acres of a hard wood /pine tree forest. The last three years have been the most worrisome. Every time it rains hard, or the wind blows hard a tree falls over. One storm this spring cause three trees to fall over in to the field/ woods behind my lot. Three time this year while I was on my porch a tree has fell over out of the blue. One tree was my neighbors. It was an 80+ foot 3+ foot diameter tree. The tree fell over after a wet storm, the water caused the roots to loosen. The pine trees here lose their needles and dry out in the summer. Then in January, I hire a man to cut down five trees per session before they naturally fall over onto the house. I had a tree just fall over in the front yard four different times in the last four years. I have two mature cedar trees that just up and died. I had to call my neighbor on the other side and tell them they had a large dead pine that looked like it would hit my garage. We have to budget annually for tree cutting in the winter. I feel like the whole woods is dying from the heat and draught. The weather pattern is changing. The fire ant population is exploding. They love dry hot heat. The ant poison company is probably making a fortune.

We cant seem to grow tomatoes here anymore. They don't ripen up. The last four years we planted fifteen tomatoes plants. Still no tomatoes due to the weather. Too hot, too dry, too rainy, soil is worn out.

Reduce reuse recycle everyone. The whole Yucatan peninsula is covered in a huge dumping of road side plastic bottle trash. Sad. Companies who use plastic should be required to use road side plastic trash, and the ocean trash. This would give the Mexicans money and clean up the land. My relative said Porto Rico had all this steel sitting around abandoned. That needs recycled. We need more garbage laws and fines. Factories needs regulated. Urban sprawl needs stopped. Buy used stuff. In some ways the recession stopped waste and usage, people were frugal.
edit on 9-7-2017 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Paris Agreement is far from worthless, everyone must be made aware of that so they can be prepared for the next itineration of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: frugal

I'm experiencing hotter summers than usual, but much colder winters as well.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: frugal

I have been living in SC since 2009 and see no change. My back yard is woods, no problems with the trees at all. Every year is different, some hotter, some colder, been that way my whole life.
edit on 9-7-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
dude if stephen was saying sun may collapse into a black hole or he discovered ftl equation i might listen but climate change and geology are not his fields of study. and how do we know someone wasn't hacking his voice maybe those pesky russians oooh

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join