It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix hits 117 degrees Friday, breaks record set in 1905

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingWhale
We used to actually get monsoons, our rainy period, but after the city ballooned, they aren't as frequent.

I've lived in Phoenix for nearly 60 years (born in Flagstaff). When I was a kid we would get monsoons that would flood the streets so much we would literally float down the road in our pool rafts.

In the past, nearly every monsoon storm would start with a huge wall of dust called a haboob (don't snicker - that's a real word) coming out of the southeast. That was followed by torrential rains, thunder and lightning, and sometimes large hail. Over the last several years our "monsoons" have been more like "nonsoons" - just little whimpers with no real punch.

Our "official" monsoon season now starts on June 15 of each year. It used to be that the official monsoon started when we had three consecutive days with a dew point of 55° or higher. The change to June 15th was a purely arbitrary decision as far as I can tell. Statistically, we get the required dew point values around the Fourth of July.

We experienced the first monsoon storm just last night. I don't think we got more than a trace of rain, but at least it's something.
edit on 7/8/2017 by Shadoefax because: typo

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadoefax

Ahhh rain! I'll never forget the first downpour I ever experienced during Monsoon season in AZ. One of my neighbors ran into the street with her arms up to the sky while she was dancing around in it. I didn't really understand why til I realized Rain there lasts a minute or two at most.

Quick ? Since your a lifer in AZ. Have you ever experienced birds just dying and slamming into your windshield on the highway there? This happened to me twice, and my neighbor several times as well; what causes that?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Quick ? Since your a lifer in AZ. Have you ever experienced birds just dying and slamming into your windshield on the highway there? This happened to me twice, and my neighbor several times as well; what causes that?

I only remember that happening to me once about 40 years ago. It was a pigeon that slammed into my windshield while driving. Don't know why it happened but it was only a single bird, not a flock or anything. I couldn't tell you if it was already dead when it hit.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I guess I'm just assuming they were dead already the way they hit the windshield,one was upside down. The other was sideways.

Does anybody know what causes this?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

slow down there cowboy you might break somebodys brain talkin sense like that......

by the way ive raised similar points with believers and they WILL NOT debate me on those questions, they ALWAYS divert, redirect, distract and red herring their way out of the direct line of questions.....always.....

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I didn't realize we even had a storm. I noticed it was cloudy. Nonsoons is perfect. I'm gonna use it.

I used to love the monsoon season. Thunderstorms, rain, more rain. It was glorious. Now when they give any chance of rain I ignore it. I'll believe it when it hits my face.

Just hot and the dewpoint is up. Muh!

edit on 7/8/2017 by FlyingWhale because: Added stuff

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

If this was snow in July the AGW crowd would be saying, 'why we talking about weather'?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It would be more convincing if you had climate data for the last 4.5 billion years.
a reply to: seasonal

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I was in Yuma back in 2015 and it hit 118. I worked outside as a lot porter at Country Club RVs. I have never been more miserable. I must have drank 3 gallons of water that day and still got dehydrated. Arizona heat is no joke my friend!

edit on -05:002017Sat, 08 Jul 2017 22:08:47 -050031America/Chicago000000Sat, 08 Jul 2017 22:08:47 -0500SatAmerica/ChicagoJul by PorteurDeMort because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
its not so bad. I was chillin in the pool with cold drinks all day

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes we have the "heat dome". I have always called it the heat shield, you can watch the clouds come up from the south then split and circle around Phoneix due to it. Has happened for a very long time.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I live in Phoenix and 2 weekends ago I recorded a temp of 124 degrees.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join