It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. nuclear plants hacked

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

And it makes one wonder where that diesel is coming from and how it gets processed, trucked, pumped. Also some say if the EMP was big enough the emergency generators that power the emergency cooling pumps would be fried and in op.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Thanks. I tend to follow the money first and go from there.

I'm actually all for infrastructure spending and clearly there is a large need now. The problem seems to be one of priorities. Spending on social issues buys votes while the truly important duties of government like this go by the wayside.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Thanks. I tend to follow the money first and go from there.

I'm actually all for infrastructure spending and clearly there is a large need now. The problem seems to be one of priorities. Spending on social issues buys votes while the truly important duties of government like this go by the wayside.

You hit the nail squarely on its head. No one wants to spend money on new transmission line in the middle of Montana at a couple million per mile.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: ketsuko

Not to mention all the nuclear power plants and spent fuel pools that would lose their ability to keep the ccoling pumps running.

Bad news. Really, really bad.

Actually if anything NEST and the US army would tap into the strategic fuel reserves to keep the plants from going up in smoke. AT leas tuntil they SCRAM them into shut down.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

It was canada

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Yourmomsentme

In an instant there is no money or communication system. Gas pumps dont work, water pumps dont work. There are no refeigerators and most communities rely on them for food storage, we keep far less canned and jarred goods these days. Most homes have electric stoves, those that have gas stoves could work for a little while but the gas delivery systems run on electricity so once the pressure in the lines is gone.. sol. Medicine will go bad, lots of necessary meds are temperature sensitive and require careful storage for long time periods.

Medical services, police and fire services would be interupted. Cellular towers go down, internet does not exist nor would the devices to access it remain useful even if you could recharge them...

The us would be pretty #ed, most americans dont have substantial goods on hand to last more than a week or so. A large percentage have no valuable survival skills what so ever. Mny many people would die. Either from hunger or from the chaos that ensues when people realize they have no food, money, water, cooking supplies, electricity.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
If America is dumb enough to have a power grid that can be hacked, then we deserve to get hacked. Who decided to design these power stations so they could be at risk? Our whole country is at risk of being hacked by hackers. I think our own government might be hacking these things to make us scared.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Ya why use ICBM whem you can just meltdowm 100 home nuke
man ho man

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Buzzkill

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Ha no
Where I work all generator are off line semi grounded
until a start command is send and we have almost 40 Maga VARS off sinking power + -
And every 6 month they are adding SHTF protection
and sorry somebody at the door brb

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

LOL we have 18 milions something backup above gound
after 10 year working their I know something underground
how big thing I know but even the computer number don't add up

On a need too know
I only work on a pump that label misal.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Why are nuclear plants conputers connected to the internet?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: Yourmomsentme

That would depend on the nature and duration of the attack.

Imagine if the grid were damaged enough to be cut off for a year.

Do you have any idea how ducked we'd be?

(No actual ducks were mentioned in this post)

Not those of us who do wilderness survival stuff for fun.
I've survived in a forest on my own with NOTHING and
I mean nothing, for 5 days. But Id be better off if the shtf
because I have tons of awesome camping gear, solar panels,
camp stoves, water purification stuff, 3 mth of food packed
into 2 easy to carry containers. Animal traps made of steel.
Fishing gear. Just all kinds of stuff to help me live in a forest.
But yeah I have only ever met one other person who could make
it in the woods with limited supplies and that guy isn't ready
ether. So my guess is lots of people will die even if people
like me try and help everyone they we can.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
russia attacking usa now makes as much sense as assad using chemical weapons now that he is one step away from victory.

NONE!

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   
So who is going to explain to me why the USA or any other country for that matter is so incredibly dumb that they have such facilities linked to the public internet?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Don't panic there's a big difference between infecting a few energy companies' Windows machines with malware and grabbing the controls of a nuclear power plant.

Plant controls are handled in a control room there not connected to the Internet. They could steal payroll records I guess and wreak havoc with employees but gaining control of the plant impossible.They would have to physically get someone in to the control room and then becomes the question how long could they hold it.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There will not be some super magical cyber attack that takes all of our power grids offline. I don't think most understand how networking really works, or offline systems, or private networks, or how many critical systems are not online at all. Anyone that has dabbled in pen-testing can tell you it can be quite the chore to even get into one system. Our power systems and nuclear sites are not networked together, they'd all have to be attacked separately. That would never happen simultaneously.

Even when anon or other hacker groups have hacked into various government systems, usually it was something relatively unimportant. Hacking government forward-facing websites is hardly astounding stuff, nor dangerous.

Even some of the nastier attacks out there were not attacking computer systems directly. For example, Stuxnet attacked a vulnerability on PLC boards. Clever attack, too!

Massive DDOS attacks are being carried out on IOT, and are just massive traffic attacks. Not attacking a system directly to cause the outages.

If any attacks successfully penetrate a nuclear facility, or something along those lines, it will be a single site, and almost certainly carried out by a government with the tools and resources to do it, with custom-developed software. I'd be more worried about a massive EMP attack than a massive cyber attack. : )

edit on 8-7-2017 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I guess the real question is, did this actually occur? a reply to: Virole

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join