It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Terrifyingly Unchecked 7 Minute Launch Window.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

65+ Then, reguardless people snap on a regular basis..

And yes it is absolutely accurate no matter how insanely crazy that seems.

Radio lab interviewed an ex secretary of defense and he payed it all out.

A 7 minute launch window doesn't allow for congressional meetings.

Then also they have had to factor out any chance of some one below the president flipping out and attempting to abort the launch.

Ending the species is the kind of moral quandary people might want to stop from happening.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The president cannot launch Nukes on his own he places an order to do so. The president creates what is called an Single Integrated Operational Plan. On this plan he has to decide targets and when a launch is to occur. If conditions are met then the president and the defense secretary have to agree to launch.

In other words even the president can't just decide to launch for no reason. For example in the SIOP on Korea there will be triggers like then hitting South Korea or Japan with nukes. Of the conditions are not met the president would use conventional weapons. For example sending cruise missiles in to Syria.

As for people not wanting to launch wouldn't happen those people are trained and even chosen for the ability to fire the nukes. If they get confirmation on codes they will launch. And has been tested the government makes them do drills regularly. They don't know if it's real or not but they follow orders not realizing their actions won't launch.
edit on 7/8/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

You can't do that in 7 min..

I'm sure they have atleast a dozen plans ready to go at any time..

This was literally from the mouth of the secretary of defense..

He said by design it has been streamlined down to where no one can interfere.

Your referring to the procedures if we HAVE NOT BEEN LAUNCHED ON YET.. like if we were choosing to do a pusrposful preemptive strike that everyone agrees on.

Do you think there is no process for if Russia launched with no real warning??

Do you think they do not have a plan for..

"Ok the missles are in the air, we have 15 min to decide weather to take them with us or not.."

To allow for that situation the procedures have been streamlined lined down to a place where there is no check or balance. He says launch, within ten min they do.

edit on 8-7-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Funny how now it's an issue, but no one had a problem with it before.

The President is Commander in Chief of the US armed forces. Of course he has final say over when to launch nukes.

Would you rather have some unelected beaurocrat making that decision?

What the hell are you talking about, this has always been an issue since the advent of the bomb.

Maybe you are just too young to remember the cold war.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
You need 2 people to open a safe deposit box, but only one to obliterate the world? Hmmmmm......
Im sure the president has the definitive say, but its not as easy a pressing (or telling someone to press) a button.
Multiple codes need to be entered in proper sequence to initiate the process. No one BUT the president knows how complex the codes/process actually is, but im sure its more difficult then cracking your WiFi password.
I think that would rule out a president suffering from Alzheimer's being able to complete the process.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

You can't do that in 7 min..

I'm sure they have atleast a dozen plans ready to go at any time..

This was literally from the mouth of the secretary of defense..

He said by design it has been streamlined down to where no one can interfere.

Your referring to the procedures if we HAVE NOT BEEN LAUNCHED ON YET.. like if we were choosing to do a pusrposful preemptive strike that everyone agrees on.

Do you think there is no process for if Russia launched with no real warning??

Do you think they do not have a plan for..

"Ok the missles are in the air, we have 15 min to decide weather to take them with us or not.."

To allow for that situation the procedures have been streamlined lined down to a place where there is no check or balance. He says launch, within ten min they do.

Your not making sense. If a country attacks that would be a violation of the SIOP. As I said anytime there is a violation then the secretary of defense and the President have a decision to make. Takes both deciding this is a violation. The vice president also has a gold card and the nuclear football in case the president is unable to perform his duties.

The gold card is actually a credit card sized card that carries nuclear codes for launchers. There are codes that are created that won't launch and the ones on the gold card will. These are changed every day. By the way if Russia launched you have about 40 min to decide if it's real. The 7 min is the time it takes from the president deciding to actual launch.

Here's the run down president is notified of violation to SIOP.

If in the white house he's moved to the situation room for a conference. If not he is given a secured line key participant in the meeting: the Pentagon’s deputy director of operations, an officer in charge of the National Military Command Center, also known as the “war room.” 

If he decides to launch he takes gold card he has and breaks it open revealing the launch codes.

He then has the serice member activate the nuclear football. He follows the president every where.

He enters his codes into the football and verifies targets.

The secretary of defense is required to give his launch codes off his gold card contacted by command center. Usually on the call with the president.

The two launch codes are verified and launch order is sent this assigns targets and times and sent to launch sites. Through the war room.

Theread is two people at the launch site both with keys they enter the launch codes verify target and have to turn both keys at the same time for launch. The keys are set so it takes two people.

The one you should be concerned about is Russia they installed a dead man switch. If Moscow is nuked a computer will detect it and launch all of their missiles.

en.m.wikipedia.org...(nuclear_war)
edit on 7/8/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

You definitely know more that the secretary of defense..

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Ugh, have you ever served in the military, Cox?

The President gives an order, you follow it.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Sort of..

Went to high school program the military runs.

Kinda a recruiting scam in a way..

If you drop out you can go live on an army base and basically do basic training for a year.

All the army guys said we had it way rougher than they did since their basic was 10 weeks, while we did basic the whole time.

Besides that my brother went through fort benning Georgia . Never went to war though... discharged over his kneee..

Reguardless...

A previous Secretary of defense said that was the process..

I think the entire concept of MAD is terrifying.
edit on 8-7-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

What's even more terrifying to me, is that neocons have been trying to get us into a shooting war with Russia for the past few years. There seems to be some faction that wants an all out nuclear war between the US and Russia. That's the thing that keeps me awake at night.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Dragon rider has given you the process. His description is very accurate at least according to multiple programs on the subject I have seen and read. The concept of a crazy President accidentally deciding to launch weapons is so wrong its laughable.
What is entirely far more likely and far more dangerous is the possibility of an accident that sets off nuke either in the US or in another nuclear capable country.
When you think about the fact that at the height of the cold war the US ALONE had over 30,000 nuclear warheads and at no time did even one of them accidentally detonate it is a testament to the professionalism of the armed forces all around the world who are in charge of these weapons.
There is currently a very good documentary on Netflix called "Command and Control" which deals with an accidental explosion in a missile silo in 1980. Watch it.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

You definitely know more that the secretary of defense..

Yeah because Secretaries of Defense have never been wrong or lied.

Has it occurred to you that the interview and the SecDef comments were made intentionally to support the false narrative the left is pushing about Trumps mental health?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Dragoon01

In the last 20 years the closest I can think of to an incident revolved around a maintainer in the silo dropping a wrench that damaged the outer skin of the ICBM.

Then the B-52 fiasco where they somehow managed to load a buff with Nukes, then fly them to Barksdale, last I heard about that a list of people were fired, others were demoted.

I am still very confused by this one, having worked on the BUFF and participated in N.O.R.I.'s, while it was a pretty epic failure there was never an ounce of danger to anyone.

Long story short, yea I have a list of things I am more concerned about than trump launching a nuke without anyone stopping the process.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I thought you said ex-Sec of Defense. Just bow out gracefully....many posters have corrected you.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

How does an internet poster with no personal experience with any of this , correct an ex secretary of defense???

Maybe we are on brietbart and info wars.. then it would more sense..

What has actually happened is that people think..

"That is crazy!! That can't be true!! "

And choose to believe something else.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Lol and random internet posters are always more credible than an official who undeniably knows the process...

It was an old episode from when obama was president..

To anyone with any sense it is horrifying no political ideology required..

Strangely as long as this post is.. I have only seen trump fans, bring up trump.

I specifically left all that out because the political affiliation of the president is irrelevant for this issue.

Even if you like the present pres. The rules will still be the same for the next one.. and the next one.. and the next one.

Unless people complains enough to change it.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
If true this would be very unnerving regardless of whose President.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   

a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

How does an internet poster with no personal experience with any of this , correct an ex secretary of defense???

Maybe we are on brietbart and info wars.. then it would more sense..

What has actually happened is that people think..

"That is crazy!! That can't be true!! "

And choose to believe something else.

I worked in the pentagon for 2 yrs in the war room. IF WAR ROLE OUT I WOULD HAVE HAD TO VERIFY LAUNCH. there is specific rules in place as I specified. A lainch cannot occur without orders. And a launch cannot occur without agreement by the sec of defense. So even if a president decided to say launch on north Korea. He would submit an Single Integrated Operational Plan. The president usually wouldn't make this it would usually be the sec of army navy or airforce. The president tells them to make a plan and they do.

As I told you Russia is a bigger fear. Suppose a terrorist wipes out Moscow with a nuke after 16 min they launch guess where those missile's land, the US and Europe become a nuclear waistland.
edit on 7/10/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

You have weaved such a tangled narrative pushing fear that you have forgotten your own posts - have at it

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

It was an old episode from when obama was president..

This is where your argument went off the cliff.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join