It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Teases ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind’ Re-Release

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Close Encounters of the Third Kind will always remain one of my favorite films from any genre. Just thinking about it brings back childhood memories. The re-release has some big pants to fill, and it will take more than the latest CGI to stir the same kind of feelings that the original draws out. There is very little information and the teaser is just that, a teaser. I will be waiting with anticipation for more information when it becomes available.

JD Knapp Staff Editor JULY 4, 2017 | 12:12PM PT Sony released a brand new teaser for “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” over the long, 4th of July weekend, prompting reboot and re-release speculation. A new website referencing the 1977 original has also popped up to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the science fiction film. A video entitled “This Means Something” was uploaded to the Sony Pictures Entertainment YouTube page on Monday, which just so happened to be World UFO Day. The video features an air traffic control radar animation locating an unidentified flying object targeting one of its planes. RELATED Tom Cruise Top Gun 2 Tom Cruise’s ‘Top Gun’ Sequel Gets July 2019 Release Date While many fans expected the clip to be an unofficial announcement of a “Close Encounters” reboot or sequel, the studio actually intends to re-release the film theatrically for a week this September, Variety can confirm.
SOURCE
edit on 752017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Reboot "OR" Sequel?

They are hoping to bank on the title. Besides that the original goes way over the top hollywood and even Spielberg wishes he could take back some of it...

Some of my direct experience correlated to images in the film, and I was drop mouthed when I first saw certain scenes, when it first came out.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I personally preferred "Fire in the Sky", but if Hollywood can actually get creative and make a good movie for a change, I'm all for it!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

That would be cool.
The huge mountain of junk in my living room would be fashionable again!
Seriously, if they do it, I hope its done well. Hollywood's been a massive let down for so long.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Jaws & Close Encounters are my two favorite Spielberg movies. I watch them every summer at home. I'd definitely go see it on the big screen as I was only 1 year old when it was released.

I hoping this will be a teaser for a new 4k transfer with HDR/Dolby Vision and Atmos sound. I have the last deluxe bluray releases of Jaws & Close Encounters, and they are great. The Close Encounters set (30th Anniversary Edition) in particular is superb for hard core fans. It includes three different cuts of the film and awesome behind the scenes extras.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Reboot "OR" Sequel?

They are hoping to bank on the title. Besides that the original goes way over the top hollywood and even Spielberg wishes he could take back some of it...

Some of my direct experience correlated to images in the film, and I was drop mouthed when I first saw certain scenes, when it first came out.

With Hollywood's track record the last decade or so, either one will be awful with over done CGI and "blockbuster" action sequences. No thanks.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I can't see how any reboot could hold a candle to the original masterpiece. There are some films you just cannot remake well enough, and there is no need in this case.

Instead, a sequel would server better, we wanted that film to go on forever, piqued my curiosity at the end for sure!

Oh and 'Fire in the sky' is another great one, as mentioned by previous poster.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It's a reboot, NOT a sequel. Sequels cost money and time. The Hollywood specialty press would have been all over it for the last two years if that were the case.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Fire in the Sky worked great as a horror movie, but not so much as a "UFO/ abduction movie."

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
MEH.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Here's the world ufo linky.. Sunday July 2nd😊
www.worldufoday.com...

Suprised Springer didn't mention this.🤗

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
How about a movie where all these unoriginals are beaten w a lead pipe.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

So long as they stay well away from my mash potato.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Actually, in the article it says re-release.

And I read so many times that Spielberg wanted to do a sequel of the movie, based on the aliens' planet...
At least, they aren't redoing it. There is no way the movie can be remade and be better.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I think Close Encounters remains one of the most visceral films of the whole "ufo" genre. Dreyfuss really did a great job and even though the film was beyond theatric, it was certainly a very emotional film for me.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NowanKenubi

Actually, in the article it says re-release.

Of course, then people here started claiming it might be a sequel.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Haha, with all the re-something thrown left and right, I got re-confused and had to re-read the article at least re-one time.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Does any of the extras probe why he chose to include certain phenomenon in the movie Close Encounters?

Especially the cloud aspects, coming and going into clouds.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Does any of the extras probe why he chose to include certain phenomenon in the movie Close Encounters?

Especially the cloud aspects, coming and going into clouds.

I don't recall exactly. I plan on watching it again soon. I do know that Spielberg used a consultant who worked on Project Blue Book so the phenomena in the movie is most likely based on actual reports. Also, the USAF and NASA refused to cooperate with the film. In fact, NASA sent Speilberg a 20 page letter explaining how "dangerous" this film could be. Makes you wonder just how close this movie is to the truth.

I'm sure you could find all of the behind the scenes docs on YouTube.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

When I first saw close encounters, it was during the late 70's, a different time. People didn't discuss UFO's... Tabloid news papers and 'scifi' books were about the only place you could read about it, and then with tongue in cheek.

When I saw the film, I about fell off my chair, the scene with clouds hiding objects was just like my experience...

...the thingy we saw did an abrupt angular change of direction, flew straight into and disappeared inside a cloud, the only cloud in an otherwise beautifully clear sky, down at the end of the valley that night.

This was late 70's, just before the time of the films release.

I thought maybe others had similar experiences, why he devoted so much effort, making the 'cloud tank' for special effects, because maybe he knew of others accounts along similar lines. I haven't heard any other such tales from UFO cases, 'real' world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join