It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian damage in global nuke war?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Im wondering if anyone has links stata etc or scenarios of how much damage Australia might sustain in a global nuke war, given American targets here? Apart from American targets, what reasons might make Australia a nuke target? Would we be invaded by starving survivors?
I never really thought about it. The general assumption among the young here seems to be that we would be relativly safe, excepting Us targets like pine gap etc perhaps Lucas heights?

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
It wouldn't really matter where you where after the repercussions of a world wide nuclear war. Initial detonation damage would be low to moderate since there are no major targets over here in the land of aus. If whomever had a spare nuke I spose it would be aimed somewhere between sydney and brisbane since nuclear radition would float on over melbourne and down here to Tassie

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I don't think Australia is a priority on anyones nuke list. The country is rapidly giving way to desert, and the only good land left for multi-purpose farming is on the coast. Rising sea levels probably put the coast underwater, at least for a mile or so, and what's left is what's left. Not a whole hell of a lot. In another thousand years Australia will be like a dusty Antarctica, that's my guess anyhow.

Besides, the mineral resources of Australia are too valuable to world reconstruction efforts..that is, if there's a world to reconstruct.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
A good non-scientific (but quite funny) scenario can be found

www.ebaumsworld.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
These two missile launchers in Auburn are not targetting Wentworthville, the geodemographic centre of Sydney, for no reason.

[/sarcasm]

[edit on 6-2-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
On a side (and slightly more serious) note, I saw a special on Australia's quest for nuclear weapons (I think on the Discovery Times Channel). It was pretty interesting. I guess Australia has been quite concerned about it's neighbors - in particular Indonesia - obtaining nuclear weapons and threating the Aussie's with them.

It documented a number of attempts to trade land use/missiles with the UK for actual warheads or the technology to make them. I believe they finally gave up in the 1980's. Australia even detonated a very large (I think it was around 1,000,000 pounds of TNT) conventional explosive in a jungle to test the effect that nukes would have in a SE Asian environment.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwars51
A good non-scientific (but quite funny) scenario can be found

www.ebaumsworld.com...

Thats sooooo funny, and prolly true.
Thanks for the link.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
These two missile launchers in Auburn are not targetting Wentworthville, the geodemographic centre of Sydney, for no reason.

[/sarcasm]

[edit on 6-2-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

LMAO, there right by the rail line arnt they? Ive seen them, not far from Auburn pool.
nobody would care if Wenty went up, except they lose the Rsl LOl

Starwarsguy, Any links about the aussie nuke quest or the test?

[edit on 112828p://420211 by instar]

[edit on 112828p://430211 by instar]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar

Starwarsguy, Any links about the aussie nuke quest or the test?

en.wikipedia.org... - midway down comments on the search.

Here is a more extensive page on the subject: www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
LMAO, there right by the rail line arnt they? Ive seen them, not far from Auburn pool.
nobody would care if Wenty went up, except they lose the Rsl LOl

That depends on your proximity. If Wentworthville blows, then you can expect everything from Bondi to Katoomba to Woy Woy to Sawtell to go with it.

top topics

join