It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object next to Moon - 6-30-17

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Next question what is causing the occultation...?!?...that can be caused by the Moon due to the stars closeness to the ecliptic plane, but in this case that is the wrong way around, so it seems either a very large planet in the stars solar system or an object closer to us.

edit on Kam731184vAmerica/ChicagoTuesday0431 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
That's either an extraterrestrial space ship from Zeta Reticuli. Or... A Reptilian starship from the Draco constellation. Or Lord Xenu.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

But it is triangular. Please explain.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

To be seen that large, from that distance, it'd have to be one of these.

My eyes feel funny.......kinda glowy/flashy. Meh...must be allergies, right guys?..........guys?

uhoh.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Where are you observing this from OP?
Could it be Jupiter?
I know everything is upside down in my telescope.
Did you correct the view and that anomaly is indeed in the 10 o'clock position on the moon,
or is it uncorrected at 7 o'clock and would be Jupiter in that case??

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt

Next question what is causing the occultation...?!?...that can be caused by the Moon due to the stars closeness to the ecliptic plane, but in this case that is the wrong way around, so it seems either a very large planet in the stars solar system or an object closer to us.

The view is upside down because it was filmed through a telescope. The position of the star relative to the Moon's dark areas in Stellarium is exactly the same as in the video.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Hecate666

But it is triangular. Please explain.

Out of focus, zoomed-in point-like objects can appear a completely different shape from what their real shape is. It's to do with the camera's aperture or something like that.

out-of-focus points are blurred into the polygonal shape formed by the aperture blades.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-7-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I agree with you on the size but it still looks like a cargo ship.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I figured that but it is still the side facing the Moon that is illuminated and the other side occulted...ie the star is not occulted by the Moon.
edit on Kam731184vAmerica/ChicagoTuesday0431 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: DAVID64

I agree with you on the size but it still looks like a cargo ship.

If a cargo ship... then what's the cargo?

And I'm asking because i honestly don't know.. what's the difference between a cargo ship, a freighter, and a mothership?

Since i'm more familiar with TNG anyone have something for comparison?

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
EXCELLENT post!
I have no idea what it is. Its almost like a satellite in the moons orbit. Did china send a probe or something?

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Correct, only that 'aperture' isn't related to a camera but rather to a lens.
I believe as you said the triangular shape is because the object is out of focus but also because it wasn't stable at the time of photographing.
I doubt the video was filmed through a telescope though. Looks more like a point and shoot/bridge camera like the Nikon p900.
It is crazy how many videos there are on stars out of focus filmed through a camera, it's kinda well laughable.

All out of focus and the ripples are caused by the earths atmosphere. But they rather believe it's Niburu, some kind of alien spacecraft or something they call 'flat earth'

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Is it big enough to be one of the many satellites around the moon?
THEMIS
directory.eoportal.org...

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt

I figured that but it is still the side facing the Moon that is illuminated and the other side occulted...ie the star is not occulted by the Moon.

A lunar occultation is an event when the Moon passes over a star or planet. So, at first, the object is seen on one side of the Moon, then the Moon passes over it, then the object appears on the opposite side. The OP actually described all that. He saw the star near the Moon's shadowed side, the star was gone while he was setting up his telescope to film it, and then in 30 minutes it reappeared on the other side of the Moon.

Occultations of Gamma Virginis seem to happen quite often, as there was another occultation on June 4th 2017 visible from the UK: astronomynow.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Hello Macenroe, observing from the Mid-west USA. I had been looking at Jupiter and Spica around the same time, and neither of them were this close to the moon. They were both too far to get them in the same shot as the moon. Here is what Jupiter looks like through the same lens...

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

This is what I was thinking while watching it, that it must be some sort of Lunar Satellite. Although it would seem to be quite large if that is case...

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Hello Intergalactic, here is what I am viewing with...

I am able to rig my Iphone6 to the lens. I had it pretty well focused, all things considered. When the telescope was still and focused the object appeared to be rotating, and I wasn't getting the amount of fuzz and ripples that you normally get when looking at a far away star or planet, which gave me the impression it was some sort of Lunar satellite.

Also it moved around the moon in within about 30 minutes. It started out on the other side where the moon was dark, and moved to the other side which gave me the impression that it was a background star, but then it held position, relative to the moon, for about 20 minutes. You can see what I mean in the last 15 seconds of the original video when the telescope is still, you can see the moon moving into frame and the object appears to move with it, staying the same distance from the surface, perceptively.

Here is a look at Saturn from the same night, the fuzz and ripples seem more intense...

edit on 4-7-2017 by AnahataN because: grammar

edit on 4-7-2017 by AnahataN because: added video

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnahataN
a reply to: intergalactic fire
Also it moved around the moon in within about 30 minutes. It started out on the other side where the moon was dark, and moved to the other side which gave me the impression that it was a background star, but then it held position, relative to the moon, for about 20 minutes. You can see what I mean in the last 15 seconds of the original video when the telescope is still, you can see the moon moving into frame and the object appears to move with it, staying the same distance from the surface, perceptively.

The motion of both the Moon and the star in those 15 seconds your video is due to the Earth's rotation. The actual movement of the Moon with respect to stars is very slow, and cannot be really noticed by naked eye or a in 15-sec video. In 20 minutes, the different in relative position would be noticeable, but I guess it's hard to gauge this by naked eye. Now if you filmed more footage 20 minutes after your main video, you'd notice the difference.

This is what the 20-minute difference looks like in Stellarium:

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Ah ok I see that makes sense. I had never seen anything like it before. The best explanation Ive seen is occultation of Gamma Virignis, as Zarniwoop pointed out earlier.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

The only strange thing is the timing, according to the article it would have happened between 9 and 10 for me, but it was closer to midnight.

The Stellarium 20 minute difference is also a bit strange, because when I first saw it, it moved more than that distance in less than 20 minutes, but then appeared to stay in the same location as in the video for longer than 20 minutes...

edit on 4-7-2017 by AnahataN because: clarification

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AnahataN
What's the city/state you live in? The occultation would have happened at different time for different locations across the USA.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join