It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kasich advocates mass spending to combat the opioid crisis

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
A wall works. Turkey leads the way. The least America do is follow.

A wall doesn't stop legal drugs. Ohio is dead center in the modern day drug crisis which is a huge opioid epidemic. The real issue isn't heroin, it's pain pills.

Heroin only happens at the end of the line, it's all the drugs pharmacies are giving that keep people going for months and years. Once they get to heroin they typically die within a couple years due to needle disease or OD's and heroin itself is pretty cheap, from what I've read you can get a days worth for $5. Most addicts can afford that easier than they can the legal stuff.
edit on 2-7-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

You're on the money with Coca-Cola but Pepsi contained no narcotics. Pepsin isn't a narcotic, it's a naturally occurring enzyme in mammals that helps breakdown anything in your stomach and aids in digestion. That's how Pepsi was originally marketed, as a digestive aid. Pepsin is one of the active ingredients in Pepto-Bismol, Pepcid AC and many other ant nausea medications sold over the counter every single day.

www.solarnavigator.net...

medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: allsee4eye
A wall works. Turkey leads the way. The least America do is follow.

A wall doesn't stop legal drugs. Ohio is dead center in the modern day drug crisis which is a huge opioid epidemic. The real issue isn't heroin, it's pain pills.

Heroin only happens at the end of the line, it's all the drugs pharmacies are giving that keep people going for months and years. Once they get to heroin they typically die within a couple years due to needle disease or OD's and heroin itself is pretty cheap, from what I've read you can get a days worth for $5. Most addicts can afford that easier than they can the legal stuff.

I live in Ohio, and believe me, I know at least a dozen, and have heard about hundreds of people who have died from heroin abuse. I agree a lot of the problem starts with pharmaceuticals, but the vast majority of death doesn't come from that, it comes from heroin. Of course we need medical reform that doesn't dish out opioids like candy (it seems we have made progress on that front), but we also need to stop the deadliest aspect of opioids, and that is heroin. Almost all US heroin comes into the country from the Mexican border, produced mostly by Mexico and Colombia. We need much stronger border security, not just for illegals, but especially for Mexican cartels.
edit on 3-7-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
If you think heroin is from Mexico......Why the hell do you think we have been in Afghanistan for almost 9 years.? In that 9 years heroin use in USA skyrocketed to the stars. We're there to protect the production of the opium, if you think other wise, your living with your head in the sand. In late 90's and early 2000's the Taliban damn near shut down the opium production...then comes the US of A to the rescue.........Taliban knocked back, opium production up & running. Never fool yourself into believing we're their to "protect Americans". BS.a reply to: peter vlar

edit on 3-7-2017 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

People only move to heroin because it's cheaper, or their prescription gets cut off. Rather than target the cheapest of the drugs we need to deal with the cause of addiction itself.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

People only move to heroin because it's cheaper, or their prescription gets cut off. Rather than target the cheapest of the drugs we need to deal with the cause of addiction itself.

I don't know where this myth came from that H is cheap, because I can assure you that thes days, it is NOT cheap. The pain pill epidemic has driven up street prices for all opioids. Maybe back in the 70's when H was known as a strictly urban, poor person drug, but these days the cartels know that these rich white addicts have the money to pay top dollar. 20 bucks a pop for the smallest hit. I don't want to get too deep into this because I'm sure it probably violates T & C here, but H is not cheap at all these days....trust me.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Big pharma are only a small part of the problem. The heroin that is coming in is cut with fentanyl to make it stronger. The best way to rid us of this problem is to burn the source, the poppie fields in the far east and attack it at its source to keep it from coming in. This will not happen as there is too much money being sent up the chain to the big heads of the world.

edit on 3-7-2017 by jh573561 because: Spelling mistake

edit on 3-7-2017 by jh573561 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
More, Cause-Problem-Reaction-Solution.
With the legalization of Marijuana on the rise, and the loss of the popularity of Cocanine in favor of Methamphetamine(which can by made in any home), there needs to be a new public enemy no.1 in the war on drugs. Especially when it comes to busting smugglers at the border.
You wanna know the best way to stop the opioid crisis in our country?
Tell the CIA to stop bringing the crap in!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: jh573561

Theyll never burn the poppy fields like they insisted they were doing during the invasion of Afghanistan. They were securing and guarding the fields so the Taliban couldnt burn them. The Army, as well as Marines had entire platoons whose sole purpose was securing those fields. Besides the fields, they also guarded the opium refineries. My brother was one of those Marines who was standing guard over acres upon acres of poppies.
I found this all hard to believe at first, then I found more and more coroberating stories and personal accounts of service men/women.
Even if they ever did get rid the Afghanistan fields, and the Laos/Camboda/Veitnam fields its too late. Ever since 2004-2005, Southwestern Mexico has turned into a Poppy field hotspot. Its perfect climate for the cultivation, and makes the drugs much cheaper because it doesn't have to be smuggled across the world. And when something is cheap, its more readily available.
Kinda funny how health insurance is now mandatory, and insurance companies must provide mandatory coverage for addiction treatment.
The government gets a win/win/win/win on this one. The CIA imports & distributes, The DEA (and Customs) arrests, seizes, & confiscates, the judicial system convicts & incarcerates, the FDA mandates & approves.
And the $money$ keeps flowing in.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Fighting heroin isn't easy though. If you increase the price, you just increase the crime as people are trying to pay for it. The best way to attack heroin is to have good rehab centers in place, get people clean, get them able to hold down jobs.

I live in Portsmouth, literally the #1 asset anyone can bring to that down, is the ability to pass a piss test. That is your #1 job asset, regardless of the field.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join