It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump mulls 45 percent tariff on Chinese steel

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: crazyewok

with the cost of building the mills,just a guess i'd say at least 10 plus years to to rebuild the industry. in the mean time all products that are built with steel price will increase cause many consumers not to buy.

You'd be surprised how fast businesses can respond to an opportunity to make profits. The only thing that would slow things down is EPA and other government regulations.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
US trade deficit with China nearly 400 billion annual. The most valuable things the US exports to China are commercial planes. China does not prefer importing commercial planes. China comes up with C919 with doesn't even use American engines. China isn't stupid with trade. Neither should the US.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Neither the steel industry nor the lumber industry will be built before Trump leaves office and the tariffs are rescinded so in the mean time prices will soar and industry will just have to suffer.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Until the chinkies stop fixing their exchange rates and 'dumping' their artificially competitive products on the west then tariffs need placing on their exports. To put it bluntly China does not play it fair................ Why should we?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Everything in China is nationalized. There is no private steel industry in China. Steel industry, like defense industry, is government owned in China. China government subsidizes its steel industry to unfairly bankrupt other country's steel industries and control other countries national security. America should not be held hostage by a Communist country that jails and kills dissident journalists.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

If the new president wants to get voted out of office, then by all means rescind.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Turning point for the US steel industry was way back in the 1950's, The SS Edmund Fitzgerald was launched June 7, 1958. The Japanese steel contract for the world trade center towers in 1966 should have signaled wider disclosure.
Tariff on steel now would raise the cost of domestic production in the short term but if it were part of a 20 or 50 year NWO plan, who knows if its a bad thing or not?
We may not hear the song for at least 20 years..
Same thing with people accepting an efficient health care system, Trump is right it would be easier to get people to change their religion.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Working in a machine shop I encountered a lot of crap steel from China.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
a reply to: olaru12

I wonder what Trump will build his wall with if not Chinese steel. Perhaps Bull Sh!t, Trump has plenty of that... The Chinese won't sell with a high tariff.

Did you say in another thread that you had plans to help build the wall? You may be right, he might build it with Bull Sh!t.

Yes, I have a LLC with the category vendor services. I'm just waiting for the money to be allocated to my targeted section and hope to be included in the design of the prototypes.

qz.com...

www.npr.org...
edit on 1-7-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

And? Fear monger much? You think we are incapable of rebuiling, already existing infrastructure?

Mega dollars? I've seen more cash lit on fire during the Presidential and Special elections to fund pleasure island for a few years, MONEY isn't an issue.

Most important of all, job CREATION.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
China is a Communist authoritarian dictatorship. Journalists are jailed and killed. People have no freedom. Ideally, America should not be trading with China at all.

America is a thinly veiled authoritarian dictatorship.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It's not. America has real elections. China does not.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm a massive believer in make at home.

An example of the global economy rape by the Chinese is timber products. In New Zealand (And Australia) the cutting rights to our major forests have been sold to China.

China then cuts down our trees, puts them on a boat, makes cheap and nasty wood products at a price no New Zealand business can compete with (there are virtually zero furniture makers there now) and exports them back to us.

So, in a nutshell, we grow the trees, China logs them and makes the final product then ships it back to us and takes all the profit offshore. How is that a fair business deal?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

wrong, this is the cost of converting a blast furnace mill to a electric arc furnace in 2015. not build a complete new mill.
which would probably be more. there still is a need for a steel made from ore rather than scarp and the mills that are left can't produce enough, and are not all set up to do the scrap.

Tax abatements were approved in March for the company's $230 million investment in the new EAF for the Fairfield Works. That is in addition to a second capital investment project at Oilwell Services, where it will create a Fairfield-based manufacturing facility for tubular products with a capital investment of $47.5 million.
What U.S. Steel's new electric arc furnace could mean for Fairfield Works

how many young or old entrepreneurs do you know that have 230 million lying around to convert a old mill that has at least 80% of the infrastructure in place . or even go and borrow that kind of money.
edit on 1-7-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Fear monger much?

not a fear monger just a realist, see my post to worldstarcountry, plus you don't need the man power to run a EAF furnace as you do a blast furnace, so that would mean loss of jobs.

edit on 1-7-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Has been done before with horrendous results. If countries don't recieve and spend USD then the USD will collapse taking down the US economy with it. So protectionism in itself doesn't work in a global economy. It will have the opposite effect, oppressing US exports that are successful today. Those US exports are successful today because countries need spend the USD they earned from the profits they made on steel on something that the US exports.

If trump is serious about protecting US jobs. He needs to enforce locally made goods and end US reliance on the global economy altogether. Not an easy task by any means.

In 1930, Congress slapped tariffs on all countries that shipped goods to America in an effort to shield U.S. workers. It was called the Smoot-Hawley Act, named after two Republicans Congressman, Reed Smoot and Willis Hawley. And it is widely accepted that it made the Great Depression worse than it would have been.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I did and it doesn't point to jack crap, an yes, fear mongerer.

What? A realist? If so, you would have pointed out an alternative solution as well that would put US first and above all. I don'r know, its maybe because as an American citizen you're kinda obligated to be rooting for our advancment, instead of strapping the old knee pads for the ccp overlords.

Naw, its not an easy decision and it'll hurt, but I believe it'll spur exactly what is needed to push for domestic.

Contary to what you hear, it isn't all doom and gloom. As a first world nation and society, our jobs lie in advanced manufacturing, which we barely started doing here in the US, the creation of materials far too advanced and complex for low wage countries to imitate or create. Germany and the EU as a whole I suppose do it and it works out well for them.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
Everything in China is nationalized. There is no private steel industry in China. Steel industry, like defense industry, is government owned in China. China government subsidizes its steel industry to unfairly bankrupt other country's steel industries and control other countries national security. America should not be held hostage by a Communist country that jails and kills dissident journalists.

Why? It sounds like China is just playing the business game better than we are. Rather than not trade with them (which doesn't get us anywhere, because trade ultimately means diplomatic leverage and political alliances), perhaps we should start using the same tricks.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Shouldn't you be happy for the wall then?

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

perhaps we should start using the same tricks.

We have been using the same tricks for decades in agriculture. That was the complaints central and South Americans had with our cheap mechanized mass produced corn, soy, and wheat flooding their markets and out competing their domestic farms and workforce. Same complaints have been heard in Central Asia, and some African states as well.

But umm... they do not exactly have the clout to levy tariffs, lest a disgruntled dissident or rebel factions assassinate a local politician who proposes such nonsense. wait, whos side am I on again??? Humanities I hope ....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join