It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anyone familiar with the 2.5L subaru engine?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I bought a used 1997 Subaru outback that has a small leak of something on top of the engine.
the power steering fluid is low and the puddle keeps appearing under the power steering fluid reservoir so I thought it must be power steering fluid but when I scooped a little up with the end of a screwdriver it sure looks like oil.
I can`t understand how oil could get up there though.

the puddle keeps appearing in the area inside the red rectangle,on top of the engine block..

edit on 30-6-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Red dot 3 is oil. Im no mechanic but ive worked on cars and bikes for yesrs.
Id just take it in for a check up.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

How hot does it get right there? Could the power steering fluid be thickened by the heat?

Is the engine oil low?

Does the car burn oil?

Is there dusty goop on the bottom of the power steering res indicating a leak?

Oh, where is the engine oil filter? Sometimes there is a puddle left after an oil change because the filter is in a stupid spot.
edit on 30-6-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
You could pat the bottom of the res with a clean paper towel to see if its the culprit, it looks pretty rusty.
IF not, it's probably the valve cover gasket.

I'd go ahead and do the vacuum lines, coil, wires, plugs, and AC line bolt/o-ring and throttle cable plate, and lube the throttle return spring and cables stat, if it was mine.

Might follow your power steering lines down to where they hook to the PS, and see if it leaks there also.
Crank the steering wheel lock to lock first with the car in place to pressurize it.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

That appears to be just under the turbo - that could be the problem (turbo waste gate/bearings) - especially since it's localized.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Looks like just a normal aspiration 2.5.

These motors have some major ongoing catastrophic issues with their head gaskets, even up to current model soobs.
A lot of pissed off owners.

They have coolant in cylinder and oil consumption issues, multiple lawsuits.
link
No bueno
edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: linked

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Yep - you're right.

A few years ago I had a 2000 WRX 2.0L turbo - 450hp, 19psi boost, turbo-back 3' exhaust, westpro intercooler - weapon. By far the best car I've ever owned.

I love Subaru, but my next one will be an STI - Forester (has all the WRX running gear) - a few years away yet.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments,
let me give you a few more details,
first, that isn`t a picture of my engine I got that picture from the internet just to give an idea of where the puddle is.

the guy I bought it from lives in a half million dollar house and he said he had the head gaskets,heads and timing belt replaced 4 years ago,i have no reason to think he was lying. the car is in pristine condition inside and out,everything works,nothing is missing,broken or worn out. it seems that he really did take great care of the car.

before I bought it he told me that it had a small oil leak and that he had to put about a quart of oil a month in it.

I`m going to check the power steering reservoir tomorrow, it might not be oil it might be dirty gummy power steering fluid.

I`m not familiar with these horizontal engines so I don`t understand how oil could get way up there on top of the engine.
if it was V engine or an inline engine I would assume the valve cover gasket was leaking.

I did see some oil on the bottom of the timing belt cover and a little on the bottom of the oil filter and the oil pan.

it has 210,000 miles on it.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Sounds nice.
Yeah, that is some wicked power to weight ratio, with sticky drive-train. BA like a rally car.
They are already pretty fast stock.
People underestimate the power gained from an intercooler. It's unreal

My mom just went through 2 turbo 2.5's that ate about a quart a month in oil from the factory, so I avoid the motor.

I've been eyeing a 2014 Jeep srt8 lately, AWD is the only way to go IMO

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Terrible engine in my opinion, all have head leaks around 100,000 miles. I think in 2008 they finally got it worked out. Sounds like the previous owner did that repair already, be grateful for that. 2.5 is a non-turbocharged motor.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Sounds nice.
Yeah, that is some wicked power to weight ratio, with sticky drive-train. BA like a rally car.
They are already pretty fast stock.
People underestimate the power gained from an intercooler. It's unreal

My mom just went through 2 turbo 2.5's that ate about a quart a month in oil from the factory, so I avoid the motor.

I've been eyeing a 2014 Jeep srt8 lately, AWD is the only way to go IMO

Definitely. The subie turbo'd engines are only as strong as the weakest intake/exhaust link.

Had a 2005 wrx with 3" catless dp, 3 inch catback with aero turbine muffler, headers, ceramic upipe, intakr and silicone intake hoses....but when i put that giant intercooler on...holy #! Power!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

Sounds cool.

You should see the effect a intercooler has on a boat or jetski. Since it has a constant fresh source of water that can cool it way beyond what a recirculating car intercooler runs.
The inlet line is hot, and the outlet line is cool to the touch and good for about 100 hp.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I would say check your head gasket. The problem with Subaru boxer engines is actually the coolant not being changed at correct intervals. The pH of the coolant changes over time and degrades the gaskets. It is imperative that after you have pulled your engine and changed it that you ensure the coolant is changed and properly diluted when you service. I change my coolant on my spec B every 8000 miles.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
^^good advice

a reply to: Mandroid7

That is wicked cool (get it? Lol)

To the OP: my guess is a power steering seal/pump/reservoir issue. Steering fluid is pretty oily and can be browned.
edit on 1-7-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   

De-grease, especially underneath.
Then take it for a nice long run.
Get underneath with a bright touch, you will find it.

But first and foremost, stick your finger in the puddle, then smell it. Take the filler cap off the power steering and smell it, do the same with the engine oil. This will help to narrow it down.

Power steering fluid is a hydraulic fluid and has an almost sweet smell to it, and, is very thin.

For anybody who doesn't know, in a pinch, you can use transmission fluid in your power steering. Hell, you can even use
engine oil in a hydraulic system, but, and this is a big but, never ever put hydraulic fluid into an engine. It's to thin and will kill your donk.

Determine what the puddle is. Clean. Drive. Then take your time to inspect.
edit on 6AMV911AM by GAV911A because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
after further investigation I`m sure it`s power steering fluid and not oil,thanks for the replies.

now I have to decide if I should buy a remanufactured power steering pump or be cheap and just buy the a pump gasket kit for $15 and try to replace the gaskets.i`ve never done that before so I don`t know how well that will work.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Maybe this will help...
www.ultimatesubaru.org... ng-pump-rebuild/

edit on 2AMV911AM by GAV911A because: Grrrrr

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
after further investigation I`m sure it`s power steering fluid and not oil,thanks for the replies.

now I have to decide if I should buy a remanufactured power steering pump or be cheap and just buy the a pump gasket kit for $15 and try to replace the gaskets.i`ve never done that before so I don`t know how well that will work.

You can go the cheap route, but once youre in there its really worth just doing the pump too, especially with high mileage.

You can go the really cheap route and try some power steering stop leak too, but that is a temporary fix. Although LucasOil stop leak for power steering has been reported as fairly effective and long lasting.

edit on 2-7-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

originally posted by: Tardacus

You can go the cheap route, but once youre in there its really worth just doing the pump too, especially with high mileage.

You can go the really cheap route and try some power steering stop leak too, but that is a temporary fix. Although LucasOil stop leak for power steering has been reported as fairly effective and long lasting.

I`m not a stop leak fan, in fact I hate that #, I want to do it right the first time so I don`t have to come back and do it right the second time,in the middle of December at 3 AM when my son in law calls me and says his power steering doesn`t work and he`s trying to get home from work

it sure seems a lot cheaper to just replace the seals and gaskets than to buy a new pump, but I`m just wondering how much trouble it is to to replace the seals and gaskets?
edit on 7-7-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

and since we are on the subject of 1997 legacy outback subarus, WTF is up with the alarm systems on these things?
are they just possessed by demons are is this normal?
when I bought it was fine now the alarm is set everytime I turn the car off and shut the door, and there is nothing that will stop that from happening.
once the door is closed the alarm is set and the owner with the key nor jesus Christ himself can get into the car without the alarm going off.
it wasn`t like that when I bought it but i must have did something to make the car to decide I`m a thief.

i had the ignition turned to the run position for about 6-7 hours so that i could keep the transmission in neutral while i replaced the front axels and suspension parts and now the car thinks i`m a thief everytime i open the door.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join