It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 John;- God is light

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Could you please record the entire verses that you're referring to here? This back and forth between you and 3NL might be interesting if you weren't referring to chopped up portions of chopped up verses. What's the entire portion of scripture here in context?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You still have to find Him and allow Him in. God does not start out inside you. That is where you seek and the Holy Spirit was sent to be a guide, but the implication is all internal.

But when you say shut the door ... Jesus is telling us not to be ostentatious in our faith. We do not have faith for our own self-aggrandizement and to show others how pious we are. We have faith for its own sake, to seek God, and to walk with Him in His light.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Mostly 1 John 1:5-8

5This is the message which we have heard from him and announce to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don't tell the truth. 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin. 8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us the sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we haven't sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

see also Matthew 5:14,15

14You are the light of the world. A city located on a hill can't be hidden. 15Neither do you light a lamp, and put it under a measuring basket, but on a stand; and it shines to all who are in the house. 16Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

edit on 1-7-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

also John 17

20Not for these only do I pray, but for those also who believe in me through their word, 21that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that you sent me.

22The glory which you have given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, even as we are one; 23I in them, and you in me, that they may be perfected into one; that the world may know that you sent me, and loved them, even as you loved me. 24Father, I desire that they also whom you have given me be with me where I am, that they may see my glory, which you have given me, for you loved me before the foundation of the world.

25Righteous Father, the world hasn't known you, but I knew you; and these knew that you sent me. 26I made known to them your name, and will make it known; that the love with which you loved me may be in them, and I in them."

There are other verses alluded to, but I think these should cover the main ideas.
edit on 1-7-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You are stating that faith is needed since you have not had an awakening experience to the spiritual reality without a religion faith story.

There are atheist awakening their soul and connecting to the higher levels without religious faith in between. The spiritual higher levels are not as bigoted as some religions make them out to be. Seeing what a being is based on the works instead of what it think it is.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl
We were arguing around the verses mentioned in the opening post- 1 John ch1 vv5-7.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
if this is true, why do Jews (real or not) say Jesus hasn't come back yet or hasn't showed up yet?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight
The issue between the New Testament and the Jews is whether the Messiah has turned up yet, and you must ask the Jews why they don't accept the teaching of the New Testament. I am not responsible for what they say.

edit on 1-7-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
The assumption of an inside and an outside creates the illusion that there is two - but when the two become one the Kingdom shall be revealed.

The seer and the seen are not two!

edit on 1-7-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain
That is your personal philosophy, which has nothing to do with Biblical theology.
This thread is an exercise in Biblical theology, which distinguishes between the Creator God and the created world.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The created world is what can be seen and heard and touched. It is here and now - this is the presence of God. What is appearing is light - this is what there is - just this.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Again, that is your personal philosphy. It has no relevance to a discussion of Biblical theology.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

It says in the bible that when the two become one the Kingdom shall be revealed.
When there is a belief in a separate person - separate from all that is - there will be seeking for that which will save you. But there is no you separate from all that is - so there you go - the truth shall set 'you' free.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
That is not a quotation from the Bible. It has no relevance in a discussion of Biblical theology.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Again, that is your personal philosphy. It has no relevance to a discussion of Biblical theology.

It is your personal philosophy that what I have written is just a personal philosophy.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The difference is that my approach is defining the topic of this thread.
I am summarising what is described in a portion of the Bible.
Your personal philosophy is not related to the topic.

edit on 1-7-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Do you want to discuss a book or do you want to know what God is?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This thread is about discussing a book. It was deliberately defined in that way.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
God is light!!
There is only the light that is appearing presently - but that is too obvious - it must be more complicated than that.
It is - there is no one seeing the light. If there was light and someone seeing it that would make two.
There is only the light - here it is.
How clever to hide something in plain sight!

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Seeing is one.
This appearance is one.

Seeing/appearance is one.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Your personal philosophy is not related to the topic.

It is not a personal philosophy. It is obvious if all dogma is dropped.
Right here and right now - what is there?

Seeing, hearing, tasting, touching. Is the seeing separate from the appearance?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join