It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else wish they could live in a different time period?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Regalius

back to the years between 4 and 13, not a care in the world other than who, when, where i was gonna play.

after that it was all bs and becoming responsible.

edit on 1-7-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I would rather tweak a few things in this era than live in another one. The commitment free sex, improved health and longevity, and things like electric based rock music are great, but you have trade that off against ugly feminism, political correctness, multiculturalism etc.

I was recently given some books that compare scenes from today to those of a hundred years previous, and what is obvious is that a great deal of the charm and aesthetic of our cities, towns, and villages has been sacrificed to the convenience and proliferation of oil based road transport.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I would rather tweak a few things in this era than live in another one. The commitment free sex, improved health and longevity, and things like electric based rock music are great, but you have trade that off against ugly feminism, political correctness, multiculturalism etc.

I was recently given some books that compare scenes from today to those of a hundred years previous, and what is obvious is that a great deal of the charm and aesthetic of our cities, towns, and villages has been sacrificed to the convenience and proliferation of oil based road transport.

Britain from the Air

britainfromabove.org.uk...

These pictures are black and white, but the country looked so much cleaner because there weren't any high-rise tower blocks.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: audubon
a reply to: stormcell

The smoking thing was outrageous, even by the standards of the day. My lower school (for US readers, education between the ages of 5 and 9) was opposite a village post office, and they still sold individual cigarettes, a practice that seems to have died out in the 1960s everywhere else. This only encouraged naughty children to try to slip out of school grounds during 'playtime', buy a cigarette, and smoke it rebelliously.

I have no recollection of the above feat ever being pulled off by any of my schoolmates, but it was a regular source of planning and plotting. The rest of the time, we made do with pretending to smoke paper drinking straws (or occasionally buying 'sweet cigarettes').

Well into the 1980s, our local Debenhams department store (a chain which was then considered quite upmarket, and vaguely foreign in some mysterious way) was a smoking-friendly establishment. The only place you weren't allowed to smoke was the customer service elevator - there were those tall and elegant ashtrays-on-a-steel-pedestal, one on either side of the lift's doors, on each level, so you could politely stub your smoke before entering.

The open-plan office I was working in until 1997 was a smoking-friendly one, and so were most cinemas. We knew the tide was turning, though, in the mid-1980s when smoking was gradually restricted to the seats at the back of the auditorium. so punters didn't have to watch their movies filtered through unexpected plumes of smoke drifting up into the darkness.

This verse from The Beatles' "A Day in the Life" -

Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream.

- must be nearly nonsensical to anyone under the age of 30, because it seems to jump-cut from catching a bus to being back home again, since there is nowhere else you could go upstairs for a smoke.

I remember there was a kid in my primary school who liked to look "big" and smoke cigarettes. My last college still had
the pedestals outside various gates. My current workplace has a "smokers shelter" in the middle of the car park. There's all but two people who use it now and they are delivery people.

Everyone else just got Stardust or FAB ice lollies

The kid mentioned above would feed Stardust to any barking dog he walked past

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
i feel like we are improving as a human race each period so I wouldnt want to go back, however, the Atlanteans were more civilized as a human race so if i could go back it would be to Atlantis. Also i really like crystals.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

Britain from the Air

britainfromabove.org.uk...

These pictures are black and white, but the country looked so much cleaner because there weren't any high-rise tower blocks.

Great pics, nice find. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I do, all the time. Egypt 3000 BC, I know what you mean on so many levels this time period is.. just no.
edit on 1-7-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

I do, all the time. Egypt 3000 BC, I know what you mean on so many levels this time period is.. just no.

If you are anything like as hot as your avatar I will time travel back with you.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Yes so i am told

I've never changed this avatar, it's the only one i've ever used.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
What a pity that the small area of liquid known as the North Atlantic separates us.

a reply to: Sapphire

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Ah yes, ancient Egypt!

A time where royalty would keep slaves covered in honey to attract flies to keep them away from their own royal bodies.

Such an enlightened time. :p

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

Ah yes, ancient Egypt!

A time where royalty would keep slaves covered in honey to attract flies to keep them away from their own royal bodies.

Such an enlightened time. :p

But you could play a game of Senet. The electric blue colour contrasting with black lines and the geometric shapes are something you see in a mobile 3D game of today. It's like they had seen Tron the movie.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Who said i'd go back empty handed?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Who said i'd go back empty handed?

You'd go back............. with bees?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Yeah right, ok.

Something a bit more advanced than bees nightbringr. Use your imagination.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Yeah right, ok.

Something a bit more advanced than bees nightbringr. Use your imagination.

So................ you want to go back to the past into a time with royals who live off the hard labor of their subjects, slavery, torture and injustice, summary executions and mass starvation when crops fail. Brilliant.

So you like the way things were, yet still want to bring 'something advanced'. Do even you know what it is you want?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Why are you so bothered by what I want? A bit unusual isn't it? We've never met. The premise of this thread is hypothetical, but you're getting upset by what 'i' said in the thread. Why is that?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Why are you so bothered by what I want? A bit unusual isn't it? We've never met. The premise of this thread is hypothetical, but you're getting upset by what 'i' said in the thread. Why is that?

Might have come across a bit harsh, i apologize.

I just don't believe many people would truly want to go back when they see how things truly were. We have so many comforts and a way of life far surpassing anything that came before us, even for the richest of royalty.

I simply don't believe going back to a time of mass slavery and other huge injustices to be a good thing. If you live in the western world, or a civilized country at all, I think you would very quickly regret your decision.

Ps. And the bees thing was simply my lame attempt at humor
edit on 1-7-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The likelihood of History having been rewritten in part, is likely. I tend to think in terms of 'what if's. If time travel was an actual reality, then going back with technology would change everything, and not necessarily on this time line, where you could end or prevent poverty and slavery. But since none of this is remotely a possibility it's a non issue.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'd agree that most people would likely think that way. As I posted earlier in the thread, I would change a few things here today rather than go back to a time passed. As Sapphire said this thread is fun one so we can all act out a bit

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join