It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job that you're surprised still exist.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I have a relative that works for the RR. It is true. All of the larger ones are working on autonomous robots that will act as conductors, switching trains, tying handbrakes, all of the things that conductors do! Then, the RR doesn't have to worry about pensions and things like that! Last I heard, they want to begin rolling this system out around 2020. That means that you won't have someone TAKING YOUR TURN (bumping you out of your job based on seniority, you are laid off until they call you back to work).

Side note: Conductors are on call and are only required to be given 12 hours off per shift, and they can be required to work if they get called or someone lays off for the day (sick, or whatever). There are a lot of employees milking the RR companies by laying off. They are using medical reasons like PTSD, or others. That is VERY stressful on the person that I know that works there. They don't make money when they lay off, but it makes it for the person that gets called out very stressful! They can't make plans of any kind like to go somewhere on a certain day, and all holidays this person usually has to work!

Instead of worrying about someone bumping you out of your job or actually being able to make money and work, the future railroad employees and the current ones will have to worry about these robots taking their jobs. I will ask the person I know what they call these devices. They have a name for them, but I don't remember what it is. If I can find out, I will post the name of these devices, because these types could also replace workers in ANY sort of industrial application, based on what the device(s) are built for.

S+F Great thread! Thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I can't really think of any jobs that I am surprised to still see exist..

However, in the next few decades to century, my feelings on that will change dramatically. I think what will stall it is hesitation to embrace AI and automation (not entirely unreasonable) coupled with ignorance of what the technology is really capable of doing.

The vast majority of issues or problems that are brought up in regards to limitations of the tech don't tend to be accurate, even as things stand now. But, I feel that until we come up with a reasonable framework to support widespread adoption of these technologies without pretty rough repercussions, it pays to be wary.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I agree with you. There could be unforeseen consequences with this sort of equipment. I wonder how many HAZMAT train derailments there will be? If a single train car loaded with flammable gas can kill a lot of people!

A single car container filled with anhydrous ammonia derailing here's what happens: It sucks almost all of the usable air that we breathe out of the air INSTANTLY with the release of the chemical. If it is in a populated area, it can explode and the shrapnel along with the suffocation 1 car can kill up to 40,000 people. A whole hazmat train derailing. Especially in a mid to large populated area. There are hazmat trains all along the Hi-line in the Northern part of Montana. If a hazmat train derailed in Shelby Montana, Havre, Glasgow or Glendive, it would kill EVERYONE in those counties.

They say they are "working" on getting all of the bugs out of these devices. Computers can be made to be fairly stable, but what does a robot do with a broken switch? Imagine 2 trains colliding head on, because the robot THOUGHT it switched the train, but the handle was rusted and broke! (That has happened in REAL LIFE with human operators. A rusty switch breaking. They can use programming to avoid these sorts of things, but you have to ask yourself this: Will it work like they say?

Elon Musk's early autonomous driving program killed a driver who was texting on his cell. The computer thought that the freight liner truck next to him was "clouds in the sky". The car veered under the semi, and chopped his head right off! I do not anticipate a future with robots controlling hazardous chemicals in MEGADETH quantities! I thought I wanted to go to Mars with Elon Musk's Mars mission at first, that was the one thing that made me reconsider!
edit on 6/30/2017 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Chimney sweeps.

THEY STILL EXIST??!!! O-:

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Wedding Officials.... you'd think people would learn

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

There are plenty of knife sharpening services here in the US. I know there are a few restaurants in the San Francisco/ Bay Area that have sharpening vans arrive and do that for them. Up in the Seattle area where I currently live, there is a guy about a mile form me who has a sign outside his driveway for sharpening service (Knives, Mower Blades, Saw Blades, tools i.e. chisels). Not quite the same as someone riding a bike up to your door but the service aspect is still a viable venture.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Bank Teller.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I haven't seen a gas station attendant in years. Do they still exist? I miss them. I think the last time I saw one was in the late 80's. I'd love to have someone pump gas for me, wash my windows, and check my oil - all in 5 minutes - again!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join