It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 is the new B-52?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Multiple sites are reporting the USAF is going to spend close to one billion dollars to extend the life of the F-22. That life extension could, potentially, see the F-22 serving through the 2060s, long after I am likely to be dead (or uploaded: note really really big smiley face on that last)

Apparently, the F-22 air frame worked out really well and only the stealth materials will need to be replaced for the aircraft to last for a long time. I am, to be honest, a bit surprised since the F-22 is supposed to be able to maneuver quite well and I'd imagine they do more than a little practice at it. That stress strains the air frame over time. However, it seems the F-22 is standing up well.

The intent, currently, is to have the F-22 slide into the role the F-15s have now and the PCA take over for the F-22.

We will see.

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...

warisboring.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I can see how the airframe perhaps will undergo lower stress. If the F-22 is dog fighting and performing high G ACM than things have gone seriously awry
edit on 6/30/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Read this as well. First thought is that they don't have the numbers to go that long. One of the reasons the B-52 has such legs is because we've been able to cannibalize to keep them alive.

If they dig up the tooling and start building more Raptors (and parts), then I can see the whole 2060 thing happening.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I believe it when i see it.

There are few to begin with, decades of attrition will take a toll.
Also, i highly doubt there will be a need for traditional fighter jets in fifty years. Networking, Laser weapons and active protective systems will revolutionize aerial warfare within the next decade. The optimal (manned) platform might not look anything like the small, fast and agile fighter jets we know today.
With the F-35 dominating the air fleets in the 21st Century and with the PCA/PEA on track as well, i can see the F-22 going away way sooner than the 2060s...
edit on 30-6-2017 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
I believe it when i see it.

There are few to begin with, decades of attrition will take a toll.
Also, i highly doubt there will be a need for traditional fighter jets in fifty years. Networking, Laser weapons and active protective systems will revolutionize aerial warfare within the next decade. The optimal (manned) platform might not look anything like the small, fast and agile fighter jets we know today.
With the F-35 dominating the air fleets in the 21st Century and with the PCA/PEA on track as well, i can see the F-22 going away way sooner than the 2060s...

Haven't they already been around for almost 20 years, and the last ones produced maybe 5 years ago? With careful maintenance, barring significant use in combat, I can see them lasting 40 years. I think something like 187 were produced with 4 or 5 crashes to date.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Well they wont have tonnes of bombs and missiles hanging off the wings flapping around for one..

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
With advances in designs and materials, plus the changes in the way aerial warfare could be fought, I can't picture the F-22 lasting that long. May be 30 years more but not into the 2060's.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Depends on advances in 3D printing and materials in the near future..

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The Air Force is adding a single F-22 to the fleet. Aircraft 91-4006, an EMD aircraft, has been in flyable storage after being used as a test aircraft during development. They have begun returning it to flight, but it won't be done until the end of the year. It currently has the Block 10 software, which will be upgraded to Block 20, along with hydraulic and electrical upgrades.

www.flightglobal.com...

new topics

top topics

join