It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The OPIOID EPIDEMIC -- Seeking Your Thoughts.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
When somebody walks up to you in a parking lot, and typically asks for a completely random figure to get some gas for his car down the street cuz he is on Empty, that is typically somebody trying to go buy some more pills. Heavy addict will walk around pretty much acting exactly like if they were drunk, but won't smell it. Very slowed or sluggish speech, kind stumbles while just staying still and such.

Sometimes if you see somebody arguing with a pharmacist in line, getting hostile, thats usually a sign as well. A lot of people just drop them and then go into zombie sleep mode at home or wherever they happen to be.

When I get the gas money request, I always call their bluff by offering to drive them back to their vehicle and fill it up with my card. I did this to a guy with a gas tank in his hand. He turned it down, and I chewed him out in public for his obvious lying ways. Seriously, you got a gas tank in your hands, asking for gas money, but your refusing my offer to give you as much actual gas as you want??

Try it out the next time somebody asks for gas money in a parking lot. see how quick they try to come up with an excuse or just say thank you and walk away. I would really do it if they were sincere. But so far, I have offered 4 different people this same bail-out, and everybody walks away.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

At this point with Fentanyl flooding North America, I would say Opium is almost becoming irrelevant..on the illicit side of things.
edit on 29-6-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

t must be really bad in some states, because Congress is preparing to add an additional $45 Billion...yes, BILLION dollars to the revised GOP healthcare bill for fighting this epidemic: nypost.com...

Why is the answer to every problem to throw money at it as if that is going to fix things. We don't need more money we need to hold the people prescribing these drugs unnecessarily to people accountable.

I get the feeling that Senator Susan Collins is really a Democrat in Republican clothes. Always asking for more money for Maine, even if it means going against all of her Republican colleagues. And yet, things keep getting WORSE FOR MAINE.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I have lost three close friends to opioids. Two medicinal and one recreational users.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

At this point with Fentanyl flooding North America, I would say Opium is almost becoming irrelevant..on the illicit side of things.

Carfentinil; but that's not the point

The indo-china trade route, and that Columbus dude

He accidentally found America on a short haul drug run

Math and History = Elmo

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Ex prescription opiod addict (7years) its bad. Id say 10 deaths a day in my capitol city.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Im up to two under thirty in less than a year.

link   
Double post
edit on AMAmerica/Chicago031206am by Aeshma because: Double post

link   

I was an addict for about 3 years, been over 10 years since then..it can be beaten but a person has to have hope for better.

I was also an addict from 2000 to 2003 it cost me friends , family and health. I wasn't addicted to opiods though , my weapon of choice was crystal meth. It can be beat but it's not easy. I also have mixed feelings on treatment centers, when you put alot of junkies together sometime it can create an even larger group of junkies when you all get out. At least that my personal experience with it. I don't think there is any magic solution to fix this problem

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: iWontGiveUP

Um no..fentanyl, I know about carfentanyl..it has been found a few times here but the vast majority of OD's here are from fentanyl..at least here.

knowyoursource.ca...

globalnews.ca...

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The real heroin money was in Laos
Air America

Today it's where???

Ignorance is bliss

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

And your "medical" background

Around there...
Please enlighten me

Do you even know what NarCan is?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Gatexan

Glad you and Famcore got out alive and intact..what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

I have struggled with mixed feelings as well..at the end of the day though the sites and services available to addicts is having an effect for the better, not as many OD's and miles better instant access to treatment.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   

What the f#ck is your problem??
Around here is Vancouver.
edit on 30-6-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Three months ago, a car with man/wife said they needed gas money. This was AT A GAS STATION in Gary, Indiana. Said they needed $5 worth to get back to Chicago. I gave him $5 and watched him walk into the station to pre-pay. Upon returning to the pump, he only PRETENDED to pump gas into the car. He kept the $5!

Maybe this was one of those drug-related scams you describe.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Um no..fentanyl, I know about carfentanyl..it has been found a few times here but the vast majority of OD's here are from fentanyl..at least here.

knowyoursource.ca...

globalnews.ca...

I threw out 6 boxes of Fentanyl patches last month after my Father died. I wonder if he was hooked on them? They sure helped with his cancer pain.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

He might of been but in his case he was dealing with something terrible, it was the proper use of the drug in any case..very sorry for your loss

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

There are some people who need dope, and really need to be doped up. People who have chronic nerve damage, shouldn't have to suffer. A life compromised of pain so bad only dope can make life worth living even if it means early liver/kidney problems.

Car accident victims, war veterans etc...some of these folks need dope. Sadly the medical lobby is making it more difficult for those who need it to get it.

Then there is the doctors giving it away like candy. I had surgery for a damaged tendon. They gave me 180 pills...90 per bottle. I probably needed to use it for a week and low doses.

I abused it, got high and stopped. When the prescription was over I accepted it and moved on. I can honestly see how people get addicted to these things. It's a strong narcotic, it numbs pain of everyday life.

What is scary is that I think I could go to the doctor and tell them my pain is a 7 out of ten and they'd write me something for it.

Junkies need help, not prosecution. those incarcerated are more likely to go out and get high again. Should a drug addicted person live in the same community as rapists and murders? I don't think so. We need new models of therapy and recovery that build a person up. Prison is no place for an addict.

Violent addicts maybe should suffer some consequences. But a person in chronic pain pulled over for a traffic stop and pills seen...why should they face the same fate as a guy who killed a woman for drug money?

Heavy regulation is only going to drive the black market value up. We need new pain remedies and better pain management. The conventional pain management protocol is largely responsible for creating addicts.

Addicts should be trained in how to administer emergency shots...this again goes with the anti prosecution model. Wouldn't it be cheaper for a junky to have his junk buddy save his life with a drug, than spend thousands in the ER...if they want to go chase the next high, so be it.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I read somewhere that when a state legalizes Marijuana, Opioid related problems in the state's population decrease...or something like that. Anyone else read or hear this?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I definitely think some sort of treatment is better than jail time for non violent offenders . I went into treatment twice and it really only made me a better , slicker addict you learn things from other people in those places . I stopped doing ice in February of 2003 because I was ready and no longer wanted to live that way anymore. I had the very cliche moment of clarity, but it worked . I'm sure some of the good things I learned from the counselors contributed to that moment and I'm thankful for it.
edit on 30-6-2017 by Gatexan because: Top secret

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join