It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for your Europeans about credit cards

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The particular chain I work for has not upgraded to a chip system - You have to slide your credit card.

It seems to be a very confusing process to a lot of Europeans - And I'm not being patronizing saying this because I realize it must be a difference in how credit cards work in Europe.

How does it work over there? Do you never slide your cards?

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
No, never.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

We dont slide our cards here either

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
If I recall, Europeans have been using that chip system for many years now. We were kind of late to the game here in the USA. You will still have the ability to slide your card. I fried the chip on one of my cards intentionally to see if it still allowed me too swipe. They do, and it still works.

The main reason they switched is because the card companies are no longer insuring retailers against fraudulent charges if they were not conducted by chip as of last year.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Our pubs, restaurants and gastropubs have wireless credit card readers. These can be carried by the waiters and waitresses to the tables and require the card to be slid in and the PIN code typed in. More modern versions just need the card to be tapped against the wifi symbol and the payment is made. Supermarkets use a similar system. They also have self-service where you run the items through the scanner and do the payment yourself.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

ISO/IEC 14443 is a beautiful technology.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I insert for credit and chip read, or slide for debit. Chip read takes about 3 times longer to process.

Chips are great. Some idiot can walk past, scan your butt, then print your info onto a blank card with a 12 dollar read/write machine off of ebay.

They can use the card, or just start ordering stuff to pawn to the nearest foreclosed home.

I just dealt with this. Entire bank account was drained at Lowe's online within 2 days.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
I insert for credit and chip read, or slide for debit. Chip read takes about 3 times longer to process.

Chips are great. Some idiot can walk past, scan your butt, then print your info onto a blank card with a 12 dollar read/write machine off of ebay.

They can use the card, or just start ordering stuff to pawn to the nearest foreclosed home.

I just dealt with this. Entire bank account was drained at Lowe's online within 2 days.

Try a RFID shielded wallet. Works miracles. With the advent of new technologies come loopholes.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Do you never slide your cards?

Nope, we spread em on a table and start a tarot session to read them out.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I use a pdq machine all the time at work. Most people who have a UK credit or debit card or phone use contactless. A lot of European cards also use contactless. Pretty much everyone else is chip and pin, I had someone use a Kuwait card today and that was contactless. But most of the time if it's a US card it'll need swiping.
It confuses the young ones when it happens, there really not used to it.
Question to US members, why are you still on swipe and sign?

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MaestroMind

Oh, I should just buy a wallet to block transmission?

Or how about the new technologies don't transmit our fn banking data?

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Funem

I don't. Every card in my wallet is chip & pin.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

No. Do whatever you like. I only suggested if you are going to carry ISO/IEC 14443(contactless) cards to purchase a RFID shielded wallet. Schemes and scams are getting more sophisticated year by year. As a customer, you should be proactive in protecting your personal financial well being.

Also, ISO/IEC 14443 doesn't transmit anything until a proper APDU link is actively established. Until then it passively 'listens' for commands.
edit on 29-6-2017 by MaestroMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Larger (whatever that means) retailers are required to have chip readers, but the tiny retail establishments (like one-person shops) are not, though some do anyway. If the connection is not robust, the chip readers can be much slower than the more traditional swipe readers. I noticed at my grocery store there is a chip reader, but they have a cardboard insert that says, "Swipe the card." Apparently there are issues. I took a trip through my wallet a couple of days ago and there is absolutely NOTHING that could not be put on a chip and scanned. Wallets are obsolete. It's just a matter of catching up to that reality.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Wallets are obsolete. It's just a matter of catching up to that reality.

Speak for yourself. As a man I carry a wallet. No fed phone, oops... I meant smartphone.

All the niche boutiques in my city have Square POS terminals that accept EMV.
edit on 29-6-2017 by MaestroMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaestroMind

originally posted by: schuyler
Wallets are obsolete. It's just a matter of catching up to that reality.

Speak for yourself. As a man I carry a wallet. No fed phone, oops... I meant smartphone.

"As a man"???? Wow. No purse? What about your cosmetics? I was thinking more along the lines of something embedded. Same with the Smartphone: Integrated optics with nothing to carry. No need for pockets except for Kleenex, nail clippers, and maybe a folded mustache comb.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I'll leave man purses, RompHims, laced one piece meddies(man teddies), tight fitting ball hugging jeans with ease of butt hurt for you west coast progressives. I carry cards and cash inside my wallet. Smartphones are highly overrated. Most smartphones have dumb owners who have not a clue about what they are carrying around. Only if you knew what's really going on you'd be running a different program. This is a fact.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
It all chip and pin along with wireless , mobile payments here in singapore . Big push now is for totally cashless which sucks .

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaestroMind

I'll leave man purses, RompHims, laced one piece meddies(man teddies), tight fitting ball hugging jeans with ease of butt hurt for you west coast progressives.

Bzzt! Epic fail. I'm a regressive Lifetime NRA member, not a progressive, for whom I wish nuclear winter and lack of procreation ability (because of those tight jeans.)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Seems to be the tptb plan to neuter every unwashed unworthy XY millennial walking on the face of this Earth via tight ball hugging jeans. They don't know that their buddies require hang room in order to grow properly via temperature control and proper blood supply once they have descended. Maybe that too is part of tptb plan. To never have them descend. Then it is only a matter of psychological indoctrination after genitalia elimination. Oh well, that's not my problem. Our problem will be seeing cash disappear. I will miss carrying cash. Growing up in my city, carrying cash was a rite of passage as a young man. Got to always hold something like a fat wad in your pocket right next to your hanging buddies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join