It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Battle for the Soul of America at Gettysburg

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Most people don't. In fact, the average soldier who fought for the Confederacy was fighting for home and hearth as much as anything else. Many of them had no slaves nor had the means to have slaves.

In those days, there was far more loyalty to your state than to the country because of the realities of travel and life. You would feel more loyalty to say Georgia if you lived there than the US because Georgia was a more real entity to you.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks for this find. Very interesting!

Guess you know that its "rumored" on the internet that there's going to be demonstrations, protests and riots in something like 54 major US cities.

If I were the Pennsylvania cops, I'd step back and see what those reenactment people do! They're usually some pretty burly guys and they might just open up a can o'whoop ass on these ashat clowns. Now that would be truly cool to see!

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I know it isn't your title, so this isn't directed at you... but "the soul" of America? Really???

If there is one place in the U.S. that should represent a healing of our divisions during the most trying times in American history, it is Gettysburg.

In many ways, that war was just the beginning of our divisions. For all the good that was done, at least as much harm was done -- for all the wrong reasons.

Having said that, I think Antifa has already overplayed their hand, and push will come to shove. I just hope they know it, and being the cowardly cowards that they are, they'll slither back under their rocks. If not, well, I hope we don't find out. It won't end well for anyone.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Anyone else find it sadly amusing when some people will take the small percentage of racists that fought in the civil war and use it to paint everyone that fought for the south as a racist... heck some of those actual racists changed their stripes after the war and spent the rest of their lives fighting for the rights of the newly freed.

But these same folks will turn around and argue till their tongue falls out that 1 Islamic radical terrorist does not speak for all of islam.... just makes me want to go... well which is it??

But on Topic... I certainly hope the State Police hand these jokers their back side... and if the cops do not do their job.. I hope the people are there to prevent any desecration.. and hand out some old school Karma.

Dont forget the immediate conscription of Irish immigrants right into the Confederates, they hadnt a clue what they were fighting for, let alone perhaps never saw a black person before.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's called history. It's called having fun.

If you can have fun while teaching history why not? Have you even gone to a reinactment? Half, or more, of what they do is educating people about the period. About the men and women involved. It most assuredly isn't just about running around waving a gun, at least for the serious ones. Many of whom are experts on the period.

But you knew all that, I'm sure.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I know it isn't your title, so this isn't directed at you... but "the soul" of America? Really???

If there is one place in the U.S. that should represent a healing of our divisions during the most trying times in American history, it is Gettysburg.

In many ways, that war was just the beginning of our divisions. For all the good that was done, at least as much harm was done -- for all the wrong reasons.

Having said that, I think Antifa has already overplayed their hand, and push will come to shove. I just hope they know it, and being the cowardly cowards that they are, they'll slither back under their rocks. If not, well, I hope we don't find out. It won't end well for anyone.

Why do you think the likes of George Soros is propping them up???

I have seen enough of your posts to know you already know Soros is banking on the end of the petro dollar and backing the Chinese yuan!!!!

It's there for all to see who choose to see!

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

In a sense, yes.

The Civil War in many ways decided what direction we would go - together or divided and how.

Now we're facing a time of similar division politically. And it's ironic that we're possibly going to see a manifestation of that division at the site of what many suggest was the turning point of the last great divisive struggle of our internal history as a nation.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Wait a second here... You actually think the Radical Republicans of the Reconstruction Era actually gave a tinkers damn about black people?

Where did you go to college, again? Just so I can avoid it. The Radical Republicans were about punishing the South, not helping the former slaves. Any improvement in their lot was pure happenstance.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Why do you think the likes of George Soros is propping them up???

Because Soros is one sick puppy who wreaks havoc for his own perverse gratification... and taking down the USA and therefore the world would be the ultimate chaos and destruction. He's not the only one but he's a major one. Others have more mundane motivations -- like money and power. And that's also why I'm sure they'll turn on each other in a heartbeat if they think they can get the better of them.

I'd love to be a fly on the walls in DC right now. I bet lots of critters are whispering lots of things...

(post by buster2010 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Some Antifa groups have already gone too far, this is just ludicrous. It could be a troll though too, there's been a few rallies that fake antifa groups claim to be showing up for and then the other side tries to get more people and antifa never shows. Some say it's 4chan's Kekistan morons getting revenge for getting kicked out of rallies by III%'s and Oath Keepers.

Can't tell who is who anymore. Regardless, grave desecration is disgusting.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Well my college is in California.

Well one of the Radical Republicans, his name is Thaddeus Stevens.

en.wikipedia.org...

But feel free to tell me what you have to say.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

If you can have fun while teaching history why not? Have you even gone to a reinactment? Half, or more, of what they do is educating people about the period. About the men and women involved. It most assuredly isn't just about running around waving a gun, at least for the serious ones. Many of whom are experts on the period.

What I know is reenactments, like dramatized TV, based on true events, etc, are all far off the mark. History is been rewritten so many times, for lots of nefarious reasons, can't trust any of it, resist being misinformed by it.

imo

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

What I know is reenactments, like dramatized TV, based on true events, etc, are all far off the mark. History is been rewritten so many times, for lots of nefarious reasons, can't trust any of it, resist being misinformed by it.

imo

Right so should they even teach history at all? Or is that just basic disinfo 101?

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
awesome I get to watch ANTIFA get their asses kicked again.

can't wait.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

imo

Right so should they even teach history at all? Or is that just basic disinfo 101?

Reenactoemts are disinformation, nobody who reenacts was there, how do they know how it really went down.

Especially war and history of warfare, battles, always skewed by the winners, then bastardized thru the ages.

Ever play telephone?

Maybe you 'believe' in the Bible too...

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

imo

Reenactoemts are disinformation, nobody who reenacts was there, how do they know how it really went down.

Especially war and history of warfare, battles, always skewed by the winners, then bastardized thru the ages.

Ever play telephone?

Maybe you 'believe' in the Bible too...

Right ... so you don't believe in teaching history or learning it.

A re-enactment is not precise history, but it is based off of what is known from historical accounts of that time of which there are many from all sides, not counting the pictorial evidence (they did have daguerrotypes and artists' renderings), and artifacts.

It's not like they are trying to re-create the ancient battle of Thermopylae. 1863 wasn't all that long ago in historical terms.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Right ... so you don't believe in teaching history or learning it.

Crap. You put whatever meaning you want in my head. I have trouble with reenactments, dramatized history, like tv, stories and tales, all made up to support an agenda.

Yes most of history is false. If you were the center of any of it you would agree, the record is been altered.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
They wont show up ... if they do and dont behave well u might as well be peta at a hells angels rally

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I dont know many that do reenactments, but those I do know try very hard to get their hands on copies of journals from the time period they are targeting, while it is still a slanted view... its a view that fit the time period they are trying to mimic... rather than some idiot professors opinion 100+ years later.

I have read a few journal copies as well, several colleges have taken great pains to preserve this information... These big ones are usually very accurate in many ways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join