It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The forgotten band member

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
You know that forgotten band member that no one knows, no one has heard of, or might only vaguely recall one of their hits. I'm talking about the unsung hero whose talent is seemingly lost to the gravity wells of chance.

When thinking of the unsung hero of a band, I think immediately of one of my favorite musical artists: Rick Davies.

Probably a big "Who?!" of confusion from anybody reading this. But I bet once I mention the name Roger Hodgson, you might then say,"Oh, the guy from that weird band, Supertramp.."

Yes, Supertramp, the progressive rock-slash-pop band of the late 70's that are known for hits such as "The Logical Song" and "Take The Long Way Home."

In fact, it seems that the oldies radio stations only give homage to Roger Hodgson.

But what about the actual frickin' founder of the group?! And the man who carried on the Supertramp torch without that falsetto doofus singer/songwriter Roger??

If ever there was a case for the talent of the group being shadowed by the commercial pop-tart of the group, this was it.

Rick Davies was a highly competent songwriter and skilled pianist. His voice, though coming across as generic, carried the weight of his songs adequately.

You may know Supertramp, but I bet you don't know Rick Davies. Give the man a little street cred yo--He should be up there with all the other greats yah bloody well right!

As an introduction to this man's music, let's start with the hit he's likely most well known for with his offering of piano and vocals

(notice how the vid even has to point out that 'Roger Hodgson' is featured in this song
)

Now we get to the songs that made him great, but forgotten:

These were the highlights of his time as a duo lead with Roger Hodgson; then came the breakup. The music became even more artistic and less pop-oriented. In other words, both members actually benefited from this breakup and were free to take the reigns in the direction they desired.

Rick Davies gave us the epic 'Brother Where You Bound' featuring David Gilmour of Pink Floyd.

The 80's were a tough time for all musicians..and thus Supertramp would become dormant for over a decade.

However, Rick Davies emerged again with the former talent and enthusiasm he had always demonstrated.

Always cliche to say, but Mr. Rick Davies, you sir are underrated but have one very appreciative and dedicated fan. Now put out some more original music please!

edit on 29-6-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Very nice tribute. Longtime Supertramp fan. One of my old favorite songs of theirs that never really got any play was " Lord is it Mine." Breakfast in America album.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
Very nice tribute. Longtime Supertramp fan. One of my old favorite songs of theirs that never really got any play was " Lord is it Mine." Breakfast in America album.

That's a Roger Hodgson song. This thread is to honor the other guy

No soup for you!

edit on 29-6-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Thanks for a great thread....I know you;re going to say thats the other guy.....but....one of my favourites that always moves me

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Very interesting info on a great band OP .

I see by looking at your song choice posts that quite a few of my Supertramp favs are written by Rick Davies.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Supertramp, Hodgson
Classic rock from my era

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Awesome! Can't wait to come back with headphones..

My first thought of unsung hero musician was difinately the Bass player from Queen... see I don't even know his name, but I know many of his licks!

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

There are groups out there that NEVER recorded their own hits. They would have to learn them from the recordings made by studio cats before they themselves went out on the concert tours of "their -hits".

Bob Seger has used others and went on-album and tour with/as the SILVER BULLET BAND...there are soooo many you just cant name them all...

To a humorous lesser degree..the pre-fabricated MONKEES "hits" were mostly recorded by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart (for while their group was The Candy Shop Prophets).

Billy Preston and Eric Clapton both contributed to famous Beatles and Rolling Stone recordings. Also Nicky Hopkins, piano and David Lindley, mandolin.

top topics

join