It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Matt Bevin publicly signs bill allowing Kentucky's public schools to teach the Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

FRANKFORT, Ky. (WDRB) -- Public schools in Kentucky can soon teach reading, writing and the book of Revelation.

At the Capitol on Tuesday, Gov. Matt Bevin gave his public “Amen” to a bill allowing Bible courses in public schools.

The bill's sponsor says students need to understand the role the Bible played in American history.

“It really did set the foundation that our founding fathers used to develop documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights," said Rep. D.J. Johnson (R-Owensboro). "All of those came from principles from the Bible."

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and disagree with them here.

The ACLU of Kentucky said it’s concerned about how the law might be used in schools.

“A Bible literacy bill that, on its face, may not appear to be unconstitutional, could in fact become unconstitutional in its implementation,” said Advocacy Director Kate Miller.

Link

As someone who is (sadly) a product of Kentucky schools, this makes me a little angry. I don't believe any religion should be taught in our schools, especially when the money used to fund an entirely new class could be spent on better things. Like a normal education for everyone already there.

I left high school in Kentucky my senior year, and I couldn't even subtract two digit numbers on paper. I had to teach myself everything from subtraction through calculus in a 3 month span before I took my placement exams for college.

I remember after I got out in the world talking to friends, and hearing them talk about their high schools. Some went on foreign trips, a friend of mine from New Mexico even had a rocket program at his high school. I can't imagine where I'd be if my high school had outlets like a rocket program, or any type of science beyond what people learn in FFA.

It's nice to know they have money earmarked to teach religious fundamentalism for everyone that wants to learn it though. If I sound a little angry, it's because I am. The BS schooling I received as a kid has always been a sore point for me.

Now, to the religion part. I don't think any religion should be exclusively taught in schools. Be it Christianity, Islam, or the flying spaghetti monster. If people want to have a religious studies class that educates and touches on all religions, I don't think that's a bad idea at all. But when you exclusively offer to teach one particular religion, that's going to far.

And this being Kentucky, I guarantee you that the type of Christianity being taught in most schools will be the southern Baptist, Ken Ham, 6,000 year old earth hellfire and brimstome version I grew up hearing.

I thought there was supposed to be a separation between church and state? When did that change?

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I object entirely to the passage of this measure.

Christs message should not be dirtied by being attached to an education establishment of any nature.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

“It really did set the foundation that our founding fathers used to develop documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights," said Rep. D.J. Johnson

So they're changing history to suit their agenda...

Stupid. Separation of Church & State, is that so hard to understand?

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Its an elective class, it is not required.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
While on the one hand I disagree with the sentiment and feel religion has no place in the class room besides in an abstract way during history class...

When certain parts of the country start making room for extended classes covering Islam... under the guise of providing context to history.. this was inevitable, especially when you creep into the middle of the country.

Least thats my nickles worth of opinion.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

They will quickly be force to allow satanic , Muslim and Buddhist courses as well..

So I'm kinda cool with it as long as it is sold as theology.

Plus let's be real a voulentary bible class in highschool is gonna be empty.
edit on 28-6-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

“It really did set the foundation that our founding fathers used to develop documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights," said Rep. D.J. Johnson

That's pretty much the core of the entire "Christian nation" rhetoric is. History revisionism.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I object entirely to the passage of this measure.

Christs message should not be dirtied by being attached to an education establishment of any nature.

I didn't think about that, but you're right. I'm sure most schools that implement this will teach their local flavor of Christianity, which in Kentucky, can get kind of weird.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Maybe if they have both Christian theology class and a history class that Christianity..

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

We already have Sunday Schools and Bible camps. This is just another attempt to try to creep Christianity into public schools.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I have no issue with schools teaching the impact of religious texts on the cultures and politics of our history.
The texts should not be taught, only their influence on society.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

My thoughts exactly.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well this is gonna find its way to court pretty quick. The only question is will it be the ACLU or the Satanists that make the first move.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I have no issue with schools teaching the impact of religious texts on the cultures and politics of our history.
The texts should not be taught, only their influence on society.

I agree. In fact, I think learning about history without including the religions and other power structures that helped shape it is leaving a big chunk out.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Well this is gonna find its way to court pretty quick. The only question is will it be the ACLU or the Satanists that make the first move.

Being dramatic aren't we? Satanists are pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

How is it being dramatic? Satanists have a history calling out bullsh*t laws like this.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

The schools in Texas won't even hire non Christian teachers and the administration checks your social media to see if you
"measure up"

I think it's pretty standard teacher hiring practices thru out the South.
edit on 28-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Fantastic! Do you have a source? Because this seems unbelievable from the outside..

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpy
a reply to: FamCore

Its an elective class, it is not required.

It's still public funds, in a public school.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

The schools in Texas won't even hire non Christian teachers and the administration checks your social media to see if you
"measure up"

Every major company/employer on the planet will check social media now a days, you would be a fool not to, so while you are not wrong... It is not just texas by a long shot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join