It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Your Own!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Let's be real...

In these all to common place political debates we have got to start policing our own..

When some one on the opposing political faction uses A logical fallacy...then some one on their political side, needs to be the one who corrects them...

It does neither side any good to allow easily debunked logical fallacies to become talking points for your political faction..

Anyone who ever passed a high school debate class knows they are not real points.. they are meaningless garbage.

(Here is a list of debate no no's that for obvious reasons are not considered valid points and would get you laughed out of any organized debates)

"

10 most common logical fallacies:

Ad Hominem: This occurs when an author attacks his opponent instead of his opponent’s argument.

Example: Trina thinks guns should be outlawed but Trina doesn’t go to church, so we shouldn’t listen to her

Ad Populum: Ad Populum attempts to prove an argument as correct simply because many people believe it to be so.

Example: 80% of people are for the death penalty, therefore, the death penalty is moral.

Appeal to Authority: In this fallacious argument, the author claims his argument is right because someone famous or powerful supports it.

Example: We should change the drinking age because Einstein believed that 18 was the proper drinking age

Begging the Question: This happens when the author’s premise and conclusion say the same thing.

Example: Fashion magazines don’t hurt women’s self esteem because women’s confidence is intact after reading the magazine.

False Dichotomy: This fallacy rests on the assumption that there are only two possible solutions, so disproving one solution means that other solution should be utilized. It ignores other alternative solutions.

Example: The teacher gives too many A’s and therefore must be fired because grade inflation is unfair to other students

Hasty Generalization: Hasty Generalization occurs when the proponent uses too small of a sample size to support a sweeping generalization.

Example: Sally couldn’t find any cute clothes at the boutique and neither could Maura, so the boutique doesn’t have any cute clothes.

Post Hoc/ False Cause: This fallacy assumes that correlation equals causation or, in other words, if one event predicts another event it must have also caused the event.

Example: The football team gets better grades than the baseball team, therefore playing football makes you smarter than playing baseball.

Missing the Point: In Missing the Point, the premise of the argument supports a specific conclusion but not the one the author draws.

Example: Antidepressants are overly prescribed which is dangerous, so they should clearly be made illegal.

Spotlight Fallacy: This occurs when the author assumes that the cases that receive the most publicity are the most common cases.

Example: 90% of news reports talk about negative events. Therefore, it follows that 90% of events that occur in the real world are negative.

Straw Man: In this fallacy, the author puts forth one of his opponent’s weaker, less central arguments forward and destroys it, while acting like this argument is the crux of the issue.

Example: My opponent wants to increase teachers’ pay but studies have shown that professors with tenure don’t work as hard at their job to improve themselves.""

I cannot imagaine anyone would disagree with that list.. mainly because it is as old as humanity and has remained the go to list of points that "sound good" but mean nothing..

So if you truely do think your "side " is correct, then the sooner we get to actual points and counterpoints based on logic and reason, the sooner we might actually get something done....

So if you really do believe in your argument I beseech y'all to police your own.. when it comes from your own side people listen, when it comes from the opposition very few do..

edit on 27-6-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

That wall of text was pretty difficult to read, so I'll be honest I skipped it.

But from what I gathered, I'll just say this;

Lead by example.

You don't ask for change, you inspire it.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Oh I do.. as long as I come across it.. I've got a rant I repeatedly use.. need to save a copy for easy access.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
More like police your sentences

Since this is highschool, I am giving you an F for Engrish class today

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Fixed it, when your right your right..

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I'm don't proof read much when not being graded lol...

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

God is grading us all

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Good premise . . . fallacies right on . . . many examples are wrong though.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

ATS is my own, so I'll police everyone - and I expect the same in return.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Actually the list is pretty good, but Ad Hominem has many parts to it, some are listed in your lists, some are not.

It is a wall of text, maybe putting some paragraph spaces between would be better, it would be easier to read. Just like I did between this and above.

Consensus of the time is really messed up now, way worse than it was twenty years ago. I don't know who is completely messing up with social conditioning, but they sure are good at screwing it up. How can you debate a subject when consensus of the subject has changed to far from reality. People who make money off of deceiving us have changed consensus and people believe their products and services are needed when in fact they aren't.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
Let's be real...

In these all to common place political debates we have got to start policing our own..

When some one on the opposing political faction uses A logical fallacy...then some one on their political side, needs to be the one who corrects them...

It does neither side any good to allow easily debunked logical fallacies to become talking points for your political faction..

Anyone who ever passed a high school debate class knows they are not real points.. they are meaningless garbage.

(Here is a list of debate no no's that for obvious reasons are not considered valid points and would get you laughed out of any organized debates)

"

10 most common logical fallacies:

Ad Hominem: This occurs when an author attacks his opponent instead of his opponent’s argument.

Example: Trina thinks guns should be outlawed but Trina doesn’t go to church, so we shouldn’t listen to her

Ad Populum: Ad Populum attempts to prove an argument as correct simply because many people believe it to be so.

Example: 80% of people are for the death penalty, therefore, the death penalty is moral.

Appeal to Authority: In this fallacious argument, the author claims his argument is right because someone famous or powerful supports it.

Example: We should change the drinking age because Einstein believed that 18 was the proper drinking age

Begging the Question: This happens when the author’s premise and conclusion say the same thing.

Example: Fashion magazines don’t hurt women’s self esteem because women’s confidence is intact after reading the magazine.

False Dichotomy: This fallacy rests on the assumption that there are only two possible solutions, so disproving one solution means that other solution should be utilized. It ignores other alternative solutions.

Example: The teacher gives too many A’s and therefore must be fired because grade inflation is unfair to other students

Hasty Generalization: Hasty Generalization occurs when the proponent uses too small of a sample size to support a sweeping generalization.

Example: Sally couldn’t find any cute clothes at the boutique and neither could Maura, so the boutique doesn’t have any cute clothes.

Post Hoc/ False Cause: This fallacy assumes that correlation equals causation or, in other words, if one event predicts another event it must have also caused the event.

Example: The football team gets better grades than the baseball team, therefore playing football makes you smarter than playing baseball.

Missing the Point: In Missing the Point, the premise of the argument supports a specific conclusion but not the one the author draws.

Example: Antidepressants are overly prescribed which is dangerous, so they should clearly be made illegal.

Spotlight Fallacy: This occurs when the author assumes that the cases that receive the most publicity are the most common cases.

Example: 90% of news reports talk about negative events. Therefore, it follows that 90% of events that occur in the real world are negative.

Straw Man: In this fallacy, the author puts forth one of his opponent’s weaker, less central arguments forward and destroys it, while acting like this argument is the crux of the issue.

Example: My opponent wants to increase teachers’ pay but studies have shown that professors with tenure don’t work as hard at their job to improve themselves.""

I cannot imagaine anyone would disagree with that list.. mainly because it is as old as humanity and has remained the go to list of points that "sound good" but mean nothing..

So if you truely do think your "side " is correct, then the sooner we get to actual points and counterpoints based on logic and reason, the sooner we might actually get something done....

So if you really do believe in your argument I beseech y'all to police your own.. when it comes from your own side people listen, when it comes from the opposition very few do..

Strikes me as just another Ad Populum rant for stars and flags

and what does it matter, Trina has church friends who want more guns and other church friends who handed them in, guns in churches keep preachers hounest, they are a good idea

People are all like cats, you cant heard them up like sheep.

You have my permission to keep me policed

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

ATS is my own, so I'll police everyone - and I expect the same in return.

Whip me...beat me...

Make me write bad checks.

Des

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

It is the "text book example" not pushing a political point.

Any example would only be referring to that specific argument.. not the over arching issue that the example is just one of may possible arguments.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Ps who cares about stars and flags on a bs conspiracy forum?!?!

I barely proof read lol and you think I care about my official rank or score.. I wouldn't even know where to find it lol.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
You're exactly right.

I don't consider myself on any side, but see too much from both supported especially so as you explained.

Unfortunately for the most part that probably won't happen because it then exposes that their own convictions might be false.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Ps who cares about stars and flags on a bs conspiracy forum?!?!

I barely proof read lol and you think I care about my official rank or score.. I wouldn't even know where to find it lol.

Mine was a joke
Cant regulate stupidity around here, most of the time I never know who is serious or taking the piss.
These conspiracy forums attract all kinds

Most people say things that are popular, not necessarily true

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Good

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

How do you see that working out JoshuaCox?

I mean from a practical stand point? How, for example, do you expect a bunch of people who cognitive bias matches nearly identically, to be able to tell when their fellows are being improper? I only ask, because it seems like the most devastating witlessness, to have the foxes guarding the henhouse.

new topics

top topics

join