It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s First Cable-Free Elevator Zooms Horizontally and Vertically Using Maglev Tech

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

None of the inside the car buttons are functional (you can't go to another floor, open door, etc.). Another person calls the car, doors open, it functions as expected again. Others have had to use the phone to call whoever is on the other side. I had that happen to me early this year; sometime last year for the others. May have been fixed or at least worked on by now.

The v-h car did not get complex in a simple addition manner but by a power function.

Don't get me wrong. If I am ever wandering around Rottweil, Germany there is a certain elevator I'm going to pay a visit to!

thanks for the little AMA!

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

thanks for the little AMA!

No problem, anytime !

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Hmm reminds me a bit of the ball bearing magnet accelerator but under controls. Speaking of magnet accelerators I do not see why they cannot do the same thing to launch spacecraft without all of the fuel requirement. A long strip and the correct angle and whoosh right into space...

velocity rocket

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Groot:

I have two dumb questions.

Say your riding veritically (up and down) and the city suffers a black-out. What safety net is in place to keep the mav-lev's working so the cab doesnt free fall on the vertical tracks?

I know that elevators in NYC and other big cities have brakes, but I don't know if the mag-lev versions have brakes too.

Second dumb question - if the cab is stuck "in-between floors" how is the cab moved to a floor level so the occupants can get out? Since there is no cable, or hydraulic piston, what is used to safely move the cab?

I can easily see the elevator shaft as being an even more dangerous place to be than it is now.

-E2

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: EyesII

I am sure they could have a sort of braking system that is also magnetically held open; and when the magnet or power fails the brakes release and are automatically applied. If not there's a ramification they are free to use in the name of safety.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

just my opinion - but :

regards brakes :

a spring loaded brake that requires power to release it [ a solenoit takes the brake off ] - thus in a no pwer situation - the brakes lock automatically

regards ecovery from a horizontal section [ in a powercut // total failure ] :

simples :

step one - deploy safyey struts at the top of the nearest horizontal shaft [ to prevent car falling ]

step 2 - release spring brakes manally

stemp 3 - use geared winch or direct worm drive to manually wind the dead car along the horizontal shaft

step 4 - open doors at first availiable portal

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign

originally posted by: pirhanna

originally posted by: Argentbenign
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF I find nothing useful in technology, except... creating the opportunity for 90% of humanity to slave their asses off, in the name of the other 10% who promised in return to lead them in Heaven(problem-free state of existence due to the heavenly technological capabilities). But this all is just a con made by the same tribe of con-artists who were banished from the temple. Yes, "them".

I'll state it once more - There is NO such thing as real Utopia. Tech. is utopical dream for intellectual infants. I'm serious.

I agree there is no utopia, but if you hate tech that much, shouldnt you be somewhere else besides on a computer, posting to an internet forum?

What are the safety mechanisms on this? I cant watch the video right now.

Thank you sir, for the good question. I'll be brief.

I hate NOT my enemies.

I hope that gives you clear understanding of the paradox you pointed at.

Of these use magnetic rails what happens when the power goes out??

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

FFS - all conventional elevator cars [ in the civilised world ] - already have " on the car " emergency brakes that only release when pwer is availiable - and lock on automatically in a pwer cut - the brakes also are designed to handle cable failure // motor declutch or runnaway

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Gotcha!

I did think of that, but as the power failed and the cabs brakes are now active because the mag-brakes are not able to hold back the brakes now you're stuck in the cab until the power returns.

I guess the Fire Dept or other agency tasked with releasing entrapped people would need to carry around a battery pack in case they come upon this type of elevator. Plug in battery pack and move the cab to the closest floor or door way. Not sure on the level of power needed, but I recalled someone telling me that regular cabled elvators use 440 volts. That's going to be some huge power pack. Maybe they'll just keep it in the truck and run wires instead to a tap-in location similar to Siamese Sprinkler lines. Or perhaps use the truck's alternator to generate enough juice to move the cab.

I do think it's cool tech though. Just needs refinement & testing and that can take some years.

-E2

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesII

Groot:

I have two dumb questions.

Say your riding veritically (up and down) and the city suffers a black-out. What safety net is in place to keep the mav-lev's working so the cab doesnt free fall on the vertical tracks?

I know that elevators in NYC and other big cities have brakes, but I don't know if the mag-lev versions have brakes too.

Second dumb question - if the cab is stuck "in-between floors" how is the cab moved to a floor level so the occupants can get out? Since there is no cable, or hydraulic piston, what is used to safely move the cab?

I can easily see the elevator shaft as being an even more dangerous place to be than it is now.

-E2

So many variables , but one thing is always in place. Safety of the passenger. You are safer in an elevator than driving your car.
There are brakes and also safety brakes. Everything is redundant, so if one thing fails, there is a backup.

The cab does not have to be floor level to extract trapped passengers . If you are stuck inside a stuck elevator, there is no way for you to get out . The only way is if someone gets you out.
Don't believe the movies. I have been stuck in elevators many times, having to be rescued myself.

There are always procedures in place to safely rescue trapped passengers.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

I am sure they could have a sort of braking system that is also magnetically held open; and when the magnet or power fails the brakes release and are automatically applied. If not there's a ramification they are free to use in the name of safety.

True ! The braking mechanism is " picked" and when power fails or something goes wrong, it is spring loaded and clamps down.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesII
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Gotcha!

I did think of that, but as the power failed and the cabs brakes are now active because the mag-brakes are not able to hold back the brakes now you're stuck in the cab until the power returns.

I guess the Fire Dept or other agency tasked with releasing entrapped people would need to carry around a battery pack in case they come upon this type of elevator. Plug in battery pack and move the cab to the closest floor or door way. Not sure on the level of power needed, but I recalled someone telling me that regular cabled elvators use 440 volts. That's going to be some huge power pack. Maybe they'll just keep it in the truck and run wires instead to a tap-in location similar to Siamese Sprinkler lines. Or perhaps use the truck's alternator to generate enough juice to move the cab.

I do think it's cool tech though. Just needs refinement & testing and that can take some years.

-E2

The fire department don't know # about an elevator, and more likely to get you killed than save you on an elevator, trust me.

Most newer elevators have a battery back up for emergency rescue requiring only 24 volts DC.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This would be great for getting around in a starship or a chocolate factory.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap
This would be great for getting around in a starship or a chocolate factory.

Yup, that's what it reminds me of.......

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

(Does not apply to elevators per se but is how gate valves in pipelines work. Used to monitor the systems that read them and had to calm down the pipeline workers when one would "trip" in the middle of the night)

There are usually dual digital readers that are set up reverse poled so they are "open" when power is available then "closed" when none is available. There are two because they have to agree. A lot of maintenance is replacing the faulty one.

Its done that way to have to keep from constantly applying power and monitoring (waste of electricity).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join