It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Liberal Left uncivil behavior beginning to fray

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
After the heated discussion on Tucker Carlson between Prof Lisa Durden

www.nydailynews.com...

Essex County College president Anthony Munroe, citing an onslaught of complaints after Lisa Durden's June 6 cable-news clash, laffirmed the Newark school's support for free speech - but concluded "racism cannot be fought with more racism."

"The college affirms it's right to select employee who represent the institution appropriately and are aligned with out mission.

***SNIP***

"I thought the whole point of black lives matter...would be to speak out against singling people out on the bases of their race and punishing them for that," Carlson kicked off the interview.

"What I say to that is, boo hoo hoo," Durden shot back. "You white people are angry because you couldn't use your white-privilege to get invited to the Black Lives Matter all-black memorial Day celebration"

Katherine Dettwyler, an adjunct professor of anthropology, was also terminated from the University of Delaware after her post:

Along with her callous post which was posted after his death but ironically not when he was originally sentenced; and her teaching style:

As a professor at the university, Dettwyler has earned a reputation for incorporating her political beliefs into her teaching. According to junior Nicolas Diclaudio, who took Dettwyler’s ANTH 205 and ANTH 101 courses, the professor would routinely go on political tangents, oftentimes making derogatory remarks about President Donald Trump and his supporters.

Diclaudio said that Dettwyler’s classroom activity became seriously unacceptable when she began to include her political beliefs in academic assessments, asking questions with intentional ideological bias.

Students were giving her answers she wanted to hear in order to get passing grades. That isn't teaching, it's indoctrination. But in response, intelligent heads prevailed:

“The University of Delaware values respect and civility and we are committed to global education and study abroad,” the statement said. “Therefore we find these comments particularly distressing and inconsistent with our values. Our sympathies are with the Warmbier family.”
udreview.com...

I believe the universities may feel the burn of all the complaints by students and their parents on some of the dialogue they are spewing or allowing. I loved the responses by these two universities and I'm hoping that more universities adopt a less hypocritical stance on racism in any form and other views. After all, fighting racism with racism doesn't create harmony.

There's always hope. I'm happy to see some Uni's beginning to put the focus back on education instead of politics. And professors forcing students to agree with them, at least on paper, is just wrong.

I'm off to work for a couple hours so will return to this thread in a bit.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Just watched the interview with Lisa Durden and initially I was somewhat concerned that someone could be fired for what they might say on Tucker Carlsson... that was before watching.

After watching - yes, she not only needed to be fired, but should never be allowed anywhere near a position that teaches others. She's a truly disgusting human being. If someone like her can become a 'Professor' teaching others, then the US education system is worse than I thought.
edit on 26/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

As a professor at the university, Dettwyler has earned a reputation for incorporating her political beliefs into her teaching.

(Gomer Pyle voice) "Sue-prize, sue-prize, sue-prize."

As if all 'higher' education isn't indoctrination, pouring minds into one form or another.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think younger, college age people and the parents who are paying for it, are waking up to the fact that they don't want to spend every minute looking over their shoulder on an activist campus. Worried that they may be targeted for saying the wrong thing [ wrong to rabid Liberals anyway ] or for just being the wrong color. Which these days, is White. Attendance is dropping at some schools because of the constant protesting and violence. Maybe, just maybe, they're getting the hint that the kids are there to learn, not be indoctrinated.

www.cnn.com...

The episode comes amid what critics say is a growing intolerance for the exchange of ideas at American colleges and universities. In recent months battles over free speech on campuses have descended into violence across the nation.

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

The University of Missouri has no one to blame for their current crisis but their own leadership. After the campus protests of 2016, they could have corrected course. Instead they did nothing to address the problem and now they’re paying the price.

People are just getting tired of the Liberal B.S.

edit on 26-6-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
What's this "white privilege" I keep hearing about. It makes no sense at all.

I'm white making 13,000 a year. Just nearly making it with bills and food. I don't feel "privileged."

I work at a travel plaza that gets an insane number of people from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. The great majority are black folk and arabs. They get treated the same at my work. Stand in line like the rest of us. Gets their food in a timely manner. I don't see at all how non white folk are treated any differently.

The only place I see the mistreatment of black folk are in high crime suburbs. It's the only place.

This crap is getting childish. Very childish.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
After the heated discussion on Tucker Carlson between Prof Lisa Durden

www.nydailynews.com...

Essex County College president Anthony Munroe, citing an onslaught of complaints after Lisa Durden's June 6 cable-news clash, laffirmed the Newark school's support for free speech - but concluded "racism cannot be fought with more racism."

"The college affirms it's right to select employee who represent the institution appropriately and are aligned with out mission.

***SNIP***

"I thought the whole point of black lives matter...would be to speak out against singling people out on the bases of their race and punishing them for that," Carlson kicked off the interview.

"What I say to that is, boo hoo hoo," Durden shot back. "You white people are angry because you couldn't use your white-privilege to get invited to the Black Lives Matter all-black memorial Day celebration"

Katherine Dettwyler, an adjunct professor of anthropology, was also terminated from the University of Delaware after her post:

Along with her callous post which was posted after his death but ironically not when he was originally sentenced; and her teaching style:

As a professor at the university, Dettwyler has earned a reputation for incorporating her political beliefs into her teaching. According to junior Nicolas Diclaudio, who took Dettwyler’s ANTH 205 and ANTH 101 courses, the professor would routinely go on political tangents, oftentimes making derogatory remarks about President Donald Trump and his supporters.

Diclaudio said that Dettwyler’s classroom activity became seriously unacceptable when she began to include her political beliefs in academic assessments, asking questions with intentional ideological bias.

Students were giving her answers she wanted to hear in order to get passing grades. That isn't teaching, it's indoctrination. But in response, intelligent heads prevailed:

“The University of Delaware values respect and civility and we are committed to global education and study abroad,” the statement said. “Therefore we find these comments particularly distressing and inconsistent with our values. Our sympathies are with the Warmbier family.”
udreview.com...

I believe the universities may feel the burn of all the complaints by students and their parents on some of the dialogue they are spewing or allowing. I loved the responses by these two universities and I'm hoping that more universities adopt a less hypocritical stance on racism in any form and other views. After all, fighting racism with racism doesn't create harmony.

There's always hope. I'm happy to see some Uni's beginning to put the focus back on education instead of politics. And professors forcing students to agree with them, at least on paper, is just wrong.

I'm off to work for a couple hours so will return to this thread in a bit.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Yes - and it is very well articulated in this video which has just been posted by Jimmy Dore, where he uses Assange's statement to drive home the point that a 3rd party is coming - and listen to what they say about the DNC establishment and Bernie - these are die-hard progressives, smart folks to boot..

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

What's this "white privilege" I keep hearing about

like me
rich
white
country manor
servants
scaly skin
expensive wines

I am privileged
I'm not ashamed of it

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It's mostly overly hyped while right wing nonsense is largely ignored. There's always going to be examples of morons being morons it's just how you cherry pick it.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConscienceZombie

I'm white making 13,000 a year. Just nearly making it with bills and food. I don't feel "privileged."

I work at a travel plaza that gets an insane number of people from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. The great majority are black folk and arabs. They get treated the same at my work. Stand in line like the rest of us. Gets their food in a timely manner. I don't see at all how non white folk are treated any differently.

The only place I see the mistreatment of black folk are in high crime suburbs. It's the only place.

It really comes down to education. Whites live in safe neighborhoods with good schools. Poor blacks live in high crime suburbs with bad schools (In the UK, we have "sink estates" full of people like Vicky Pollard, about the same thing). The reason the schools are bad is because the high crime drives away good teachers; gangs, aggressive males, the attitude that anything that challenges them intellectually is "racist". Teachers were expected to let them pass through each year rather than make them repeat a year.

Then the colleges are required to accommodate their lack of education by adjusting the SAT score thresholds to achieve diversity. Once in, new courses had to be created; Black Studies, Afro-Carribean History, etc... then the graduates of these courses get faculty positions, and then they form their own echo chamber.

It's easier to blame whites for having priviledge for coming from a stable family in a low crime area who speak English as a first language, than to blame their own culture.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

It really comes down to education. Whites live in safe neighborhoods with good schools. Poor blacks live in high crime suburbs with bad schools (In the UK, we have "sink estates" full of people like Vicky Pollard, about the same thing). The reason the schools are bad is because the high crime drives away good teachers; gangs, aggressive males, the attitude that anything that challenges them intellectually is "racist". Teachers were expected to let them pass through each year rather than make them repeat a year.

Then the colleges are required to accommodate their lack of education by adjusting the SAT score thresholds to achieve diversity. Once in, new courses had to be created; Black Studies, Afro-Carribean History, etc... then the graduates of these courses get faculty positions, and then they form their own echo chamber.

It's easier to blame whites for having priviledge for coming from a stable family in a low crime area who speak English as a first language, than to blame their own culture.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is very heartening to hear as I am sick of the divisiveness and political bashing done by faculty, not just students.
Some might say this is the end result of the Frankfurt School's influence in modern education, turning it in to indoctrination.
The ultimate irony here is that the University system as we know it today was founded by the Catholic monks during the 13th century. We have wandered far from our roots in the West indeed.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I work at a travel plaza that gets an insane number of people from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.

On the PA Turnpike?

My sister worked at the Sideling Hill Plaza years ago.... they had a Howard Johnsons there then.

edit on b000000302017-06-26T10:18:37-05:0010America/ChicagoMon, 26 Jun 2017 10:18:37 -05001000000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You poor poor soul...no one should have to stay on the PA turnpike ever!

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I worked with a young hispanic guy that was working to pay for his education. He is left leaning. I ended up getting close to him like a brother.

His answer to all this while we played devils advocate with eachother was that he wanted to get his education and work to get out of poverty. He saw all this mess as a distraction from that goal.

He chose a college based on its courses and campus life. He turned down a supposedly better school because he saw it as a token education that wouldnt serve his needs or enable him to compete with other students once out of school.

The push by these teachers is noticed and people take a path of less resistance.

The silent majority speaks to each other. The hardline is increasingly seen as divisive, not inclusive and generally led by less than admirable characters.

I feel bad for REAL democrats whose party is now a shell consisting of special interests groups, big money, and identity politics we are ALL burnt out from.

edit on 6 26 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

That's the core logic behind why so many struggling poor white people don't understand the concept of white privilege. Which is totally understandable. I'm poor and white too. So I do hear you. But to explain it, consider these examples:

"I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented."

"When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is."

"If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven’t been singled out because of my race."

"I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed."

White priviledge isn't a concept that exists to make you or I feel guilty or ashamed for being what we are. It's simply a recognition that there are a bunch of things in this world that are on general a little bit easier for some people than others simply based on the colour of their skin.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
You poor poor soul...no one should have to stay on the PA turnpike ever!

I don't not like my job. It's because of my employees and management that I can't stress enough.

The costumers. Like everyone else. Filthy and rude.

The stuff that I have seen and do at my job though all makes up for it. You be surprised what people do when they think no one is watching. I'm the janitor. I see everything. And it's a hoot.

But seriously though. Blacks sit next to whites. All colors of the rainbow. Sit together in my place and respect others privacy to the point where no one...I mean the number is so small it might as well be zero of people talking to one another.

No talks to one another any more. I'm told to greet everyone and the first year I was. Then the silence came because no one talks to the janitor unless there's a spill or someone forgot how to poop in a toilet.

If there is any class that needs to be put in school. It's how to properly poop in a toilet.....OMG....you can only imagine. Me, I see that #

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well this is doomed to be deleted or shipped to the mud pit....

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well this is doomed to be deleted or shipped to the mud pit....

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

As if ALL EDUCATION is not indoctrination!! Lol

In fact educate and indoctrinate are probably synonyms of each other....

(Is synonym the right word when 2 words have the same definition lol??)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join