It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thunderbirds F-16 flips on landing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 and what if something were to happen and ejection was the safest and quickest way of getting out whilst off the runway ? Or is it a case of it would be safe enough to get out normally say for example engine fire or something similar that would start a serious fire on board if you understand what I mean

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The safety is simply a case of moving a lever on the ejection handles beside the seat. It takes less than a second to arm or safe.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 ah .. fair enough split second selection going from safety on to leaving the aircraft is still only gonna be 2 seconds lol. Thanks I'll stop hassling you now

edit on 23-6-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: Try walking and typing its not easy .. corrected text

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
NWS is reporting there was a wind gust over 31 mph at the time of the incident.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the initial post and links. I don't know how the pilot could have done much in this case.

From an update in your link it looks as if they have extricated the second pilot thankfully.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sagacity

Looks like the second person just arrived by CareFlight ambulance at the hospital. Both ambulances had their lights off, and were taking their time driving into the bay.
edit on 6/23/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The safety is simply a case of moving a lever on the ejection handles beside the seat. It takes less than a second to arm or safe.

Top left next to the Yaw. Bronze lever.
edit on 23-6-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: muzzleflash

We have been gusting around 60mph Im 35 minutes away
Winds have died down now but flooding is rampant.
It was a lot like a catagory 1 hurricane this morning.

I'm in Springfield about 30 minutes NE from there. Can confirm some strong gusts around 1:00pm or so.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
At first I said no way, man.........

The pics are something to see......never thought about a trainer 16 getting trumped taxiing.....props to any pair of pilots finding themselves kissing the lawn....I'd call out halp....someone quick...halp

Vertical stabilizer pressed a foot into the ground
edit on 23-6-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

31 mph doesn't strike me as that strong.

That would be enough to flip an F-16? Seems odd.

Is pilot error a possibility in something like this, although these are elite pilots so I don't see that being a factor.

Just a 31 mph gust doesn't strike me as that big of a deal.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

It was higher than that. They showed a 31 mph gust on the weather at the time, and said that the NWS reported stronger than that at the time. A 31 mph gust could flip something like an F-16 over though if it hits it right. The Viper has a fairly small wheel base, and under the right conditions can be flipped pretty easily.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'm impressed. That front loader is doing a pretty good job of lifting that thing up.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
Ah thanks that's helpful

Next time I'm in a F-16 I'll remember haha *not a sarcastic comment it's my attempt at humour*

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Press conference should start in about 10 minutes or so.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Glad they are ok.

Possibility of a microburst? Sounds like a case of in the wrong place at the wrong time.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Microburst or straightline winds.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

That is unfortunate, the plane crash and all. That must have been some kind of wind gust.

On another note was just reading through the thread and came across your post. It occurred to me that when someone says the phrase "Sending thoughts and prayers" what is really happening is they are having thoughts and perhaps reciting a prayer in their head or maybe out loud. You cannot send a thought, or a prayer for that matter.

So i guess people who send thoughts and prayers are really doing nothing but sitting and thinking about something that has happened somewhere else and talking to themselves.

Religious dogma is interesting with regard to how pervasive it has become in society.

I wonder if there is any benefit to prayer? Maybe the pilot that is trapped would have some if he himself was praying and hoping to see his family again. It might make his current situation more tolerable.

As far as thoughts go, I think about S4!t all day but its useless unless I actually do something.

anyways hope they both make it out without serious injury.

#NoPrayerPlayer

-ThoughtIsMadness

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Per the Thunderbirds, the passenger was one of their maintenance people on a familiarization flight. Both are in good condition.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It was Thunderbird 8, Captain Erik "Speedy" Gonsalves, with Tsgt Kenneth Cordova in the back seat. They have officially cancelled their show for Saturday, Sunday is TBD. Sgt Cordova has no visible injuries and is fine. Capt Gonsalves had cuts and injuries to his leg, but is in good condition.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for being on top of this (and Bigburgh!) and keeping us informed!

"Speedy" recovery wishes to Captain Gonsalves (rhymes with "Gonzales"! Gotta love a sense of humor!)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join