It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catching flies with a vacuum cleaner

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Has anyone tried the new laser that will start campfires? My friend bought one and it will burn the wings off a fly at up to about 8 feet. Just don't hold it on the curtains too long, though...

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: vernichter

You got anything for ticks? ..This day just keeps on giving, just removed a tick form the balls of a pitbull, not easy, not fun.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Laser Zapper

Bug-A-Salt

Rubber band machine gun:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I used to catch flies with a vacuum cleaner! (When my family had one of those 'hose'-type models, which seem to have disappeared in the UK these days). Particularly satisfactory for those horrible big fat bluebottles the size of a grape, that throw themselves furiously against the windowpane with an audible 'bonk' noise.

My unresolved question on this practice is whether the sudden decompression kills the flies, in the same way that it is supposed to kill astronauts and is known to kill deep-sea divers.

I mean, I'm presuming that it does kill them, but I've never actually checked.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

HAHA! I have a Rosco instead, my dog. He catches flies like a frog. He has leaped off my lap to catch one and it is so funny every single time he does it.

I had a problem with fruit flies recently and I didnt have any fruit out. Still not sure where they came from but my dog was on it like a fly swatter.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
well we got a gine pig and 100s of little gnat type flys started showing up .
so modified your idea added a funnel to the end of the vacuum wand and sucked up 500 in a matter of mints .
thanks vacuum man you just made my day .
Now does it work on x wifes ?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I haven't tried this for flies. Though, one time was renting an apartment that turned out to be termite infested and they had just happened to start leaking out of the wall. The vacuum worked pretty well, or it would have been spaying them down, waiting for them to perish then clean up the mess all over.

If you cut a plastic 2 liter bottle in half, have the top half turned to the inside-with the cap off, of course-, then have something sweet-preferably water, soda, other,- appealing to flies on the bottom-, they will flies will be caught(for those who want to let them go outside instead) and or drown. It works alright with them, better with smaller fruit flies and knats and sometimes with wasps and hornets.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Eh......we used to have tons of flies out in west Texas, and at night they would be peppered all over the ceiling (it usually got chilly at night due to low humidity).

So I go the vacuum idea and used to vacuum them up.....only to find that they would work their way back out of the old Kirby, crawl back through the hose, and, after shaking off the dust, would keep right on flying around. So a shot of raid in the air, with the vacuum to suck it up, was a good solution.

Right now there are 10 cats around and 3 of them are master flying bug killers and eaters. Kinda gross to watch but considering the alternatives, environmentally friendly. There is no more fly problem per se because I left cow country, and all those patties that use to draw them from everywhere!

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
He said, "Oh no, they will have been all chopped up by the fan in there.

He opened it up and closed it again promptly, as the bees were not ever in contact with the fan and were alive and well.

Yes, the fan is on the other side of the filter.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join